• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB an A1200, A3000, or A4000

which models I've specified support the busboard, and what is the maximum RAM for each with Blizzard/cyberstorm accelerators installed?

EDIT: also i have some other questions, i saw this Desktop 4000 http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-4000-Comp...oryZ4598QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and thought: Can i use any HDD? What is the recommendation on a CD drive, and how much would an appropriate CPU cost? if someone can locate a good 1 let me know. Also, since I'd need chipRAM, how much does that go for? I appreciate your patience and help with my ignorance of amiga hardware

Last edited:
3000 D is just a term for the desktop version, same thing as a plain old 3000, just another way to say it. If an ebay seller declines my offer, i'll think about it, pics would be nice, plus specs and price you want

Ah, good comeback.

How well does the 060 work with games (or do you have lesser machines for games)?

Two A500s, one NTSC A1200 (degrader works well), one A3000, two A4000s, so I'm covered. The '060 hurts games more than helps; the A500 and A1200 handle that.

I don't use them much any more; I burnt out on Amiga stuff making MindCandy Volume 2. I have other things like ethernet cards, two video cards, tons of software, light gun, joysticks, boxed software... Even a CD32 with lots of games.

I feel like I should sell it as a lot, but at the same time, I can't help wondering "What if I need to run something Amiga in the future?" I'm torn.

I havn't booted my Amigas in a few months, busy working with other platforms.

I have a 500, 1200, 2000, and 3000. If/when I get some 3.1 ROMs for the 3000 I am going to run a boxed copy of OS 3.5 and get it online. The other systems are all for games.

Seems like I go through phases where I play games and then acquire and fix stuff then back to games.

If you want to play older action games: Amiga 500
If you want to play newer action games: Amiga 1200
If you want to play big adventure, RPG, strategy games: any Amiga with a HDD
If you want to use productivity software: any Amiga with a HDD and accelerator
If you want decent expansion options: Amiga 2000/3000 (I suppose)
If you want the most powerful classic Amiga ever made: A4000T with accelerator etc

An Amiga 3000/4000 may require you to soft boot to a previous Kickstart version to play some of the older games. While in theory backwards compatible, games written in a system unfriendly way will be hard to get going on anything other than a stock Amiga 500, with or without memory expansion.

It appears Amiga 500 and to some extent 2000 you can get very cheap. Amiga 1200 is often sought after and thus gets more expansive. Perhaps you'll find a decent priced 3000 if you keep looking. Amiga 1000 is a collectors item while 4000's are quite often still in use which means you have to battle Amiga fanatics willing to pay lots of money to get a complete, working Amiga 4000 instead of investing the same money in a modern PC at least 10-100 times as powerful.

When I look to buy something but am unsure about the market value, I search in the usual places like eBay and so on, to get a feel what people really pay for an item. More than once I've found it sells much higher than I'd be willing to buy. Sometimes I give up the idea to get one, sometimes I adjust my budget so I can also be part of the bidding. Of course you may still get lucky and claim a bargain, but don't expect people to sell for the prices you think are reasonable.

For the most part A500 is great for floppy booting games (get the 512K trapdoor expansion and 2nd floppy like a A1011).

Any old HD installable games would be best for a 2000 with A2091 SCSI card, Kickstart 1.3

AGA games would be for the A1200 preferably with a 68030/50 trapdoor expansion and more RAM.

For serious work and upgrades stick to a 3000/4000 or 1200 towered with 2MB chip RAM and preferably a video card.

As far as pricing goes most of my gear was purchased in 2001/02 timeframe when people were ditching them. Seems like Amiga gear has gone up quite a bit since then to values I am not willing to pay. But you still can find deals if you look around, same as anything else. Ebay is just an indicator of what current pricing might be, but you can get things cheaper.

Very pertinent point. http://www.amiga.org has a lot of sales from their members in the forums. I've seen a few 3000's on craigslist. Also check other auction sites like chasethechuckwagon, our local marketplace, goodwill auction site, and a few other good ones folks here have pointed out that I can't remember the names of.

Back