• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

linuxlove's monitor woes

linuxlove

Veteran Member
Well, I've been using a Micron 700ex monitor as my main monitor for a few years, and while Windows XP was rebooting to update to SP3, it suddenly went blank. So I hit reset and it was still blank. When I hooked up my Aptiva monitor, it came up just fine. The computer that it was on was also working fine, so I plugged the Micron into that computer and it was still blank. Hmm... Any ideas? When unplugged from a computer, it shows off its "CABLE NOT CONNECTED" test pattern, so I know the tube isn't the problem. Maybe the cable?

So you know, I'm not too concerned about fixing it, but I'm hoping it's a simple fix that won't require opeining up the monitor. It's an SVGA monitor also.

First thing I'd look for is a bent pin on the video cable. That happens when sometimes in a hurry and reaching behind a computer trying to plug things in without looking ;-)

The monitor splash screen is there to tell you exactly that. It's working fine, so it doesn't want you thinking it's the monitor.

The other thing it can sometimes be is the frequency that the system is putting out (unsupported resolution) which is usually after playing with resolution settings or driver settings. This however would show you video until your operating system loads and switches video modes. Could be a bad video card or video card is loose in system, but if you plugged something else in (unless that accidentally reseated the card) and it worked you've passed that stage.

- John

Yeah, when it goes out of frequency, it should show an image. It has always displayed 1280x1024 @ 60Hz. I swapped the video card with anouther one to make sure it wasn't the video card. As for a bent pin, unless it came off, the cable shouldn't plug in.

Well, the Micron is working, but the smaller 13" may be comprimised.

I tried installing OS/2 Warp 3 and when it was done, i was waiting for the desktop to show up, when all of a sudden, the monitor turned off, while the power switch was ON. When I unplugged it, i smelled something burning inside. It will still give an image but i don't know how long it will last.

Back