• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

now the sound card...

conradspitfire

Experienced Member
ok, so i got this computers, had some trouble with it already, as you can see on this thread: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=15429

ok, so now i've got keyboard and mouse working (yay!), and now i've got no sound... please help!

so the problem is that i cant hear anything except some horrible sounds and humming. the sound card is a creative (or maybe a clone? i cant tell) sb 16, it says CT2770 on it, that's all i know... i've got some dos tools from the creative website... i ran "diagnose" and when i got into the test i could only hear the music one, and in a very bad quality... and none of the sound tests at all... it was automatically set on 220, 330, IRQ:10, DMA:3,7.

so... what now? is the card broken? is it not configured? please help :(

oh, and an intresting note... the autoexec.bat and config.sys files were empty.... 0 bytes... until i ran the diagnose tool of course... is that normal?

ok, so i got this computers, had some trouble with it already, as you can see on this thread: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=15429

ok, so now i've got keyboard and mouse working (yay!), and now i've got no sound... please help!

so the problem is that i cant hear anything except some horrible sounds and humming. the sound card is a creative (or maybe a clone? i cant tell) sb 16, it says CT2770 on it, that's all i know... i've got some dos tools from the creative website... i ran "diagnose" and when i got into the test i could only hear the music one, and in a very bad quality... and none of the sound tests at all... it was automatically set on 220, 330, IRQ:10, DMA:3,7.

so... what now? is the card broken? is it not configured? please help :(

oh, and an intresting note... the autoexec.bat and config.sys files were empty.... 0 bytes... until i ran the diagnose tool of course... is that normal?
CT2770 = Sound Blaster 16 Value.

Have you made sure there are no conflicts with I/O ports or anything like that? Try changing jumper IOS0 and IOS1 and see what happens.

I think you'll need some software to configure the card (it's semi PnP) before use. I got the software you need, but I can't upload it before friday. That your config.sys and Autoexec.bat was empty might be the explanation why you can't get it to work. The diagnose program problably only added the BLASTER envroniment variable.

In other words, you have to install a pack of drivers.

please try to keep it simple, because i'm bad at this :(

those jumpers seem to be in the closed position... if that means that both are there... should i take them out?
in any case,if you have those drivers, i can wait until friday... if you think that could fix it...

please try to keep it simple, because i'm bad at this :(

those jumpers seem to be in the closed position... if that means that both are there... should i take them out?
in any case,if you have those drivers, i can wait until friday... if you think that could fix it...

Ok. So when I upload the files, download them and extract them. There will be alltogether 3 zip files. One of them is the installation for DOS and Windows 3.x, the second will be for Windows 95 and the last one is a PnP manager.

You're using DOS, so you won't really need the drivers for Windows 95. Since your card problably isn't 100% PnP compatible, you won't need the PnP manager either. The only zip you need is the first one.

When you have downloaded the zip, get five empty 1.44Mb floppydisks and start writing the files to them. The zip will contain some subdirectories, either named stuff like "disk1"/"disk2"/"disk3" or "Installation"/"Drivers"/"Programs". open one of therse directories and copy all the files inside to the same empty disk. Mark this disk with the directory's name. Do this for the four other directories (make sure to use one floppy per directory), and you'll end up with five floppydisks with software on them.

Start your 486, and let it boot. Insert the disk marked "disk1" or "installation" in the drive, and type "A:", press enter, type "Install", and press enter again. Follow the instructions on screen. If you do, the card should be ready to go the reboot after the installation is done.

i do plan to use win 98, and i would like for the soundcard to work on windows as well...
also, the only floppy drive that i have is in the 486, so i guess i'll have to download & burn it on a cd in my laptop here, pass it to the 486, and do the floppys there. i hope the drive still works :p. it's been a while since i used floppys...

sound blaster drivers:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=38d082ad61c12dc500d27174b47c66573b59aabc543954e4b8eada0a1ae8665a

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=38d082ad61c12dc500d27174b47c66573b59aabc543954e4b8eada0a1ae8665a

That seems to be pretty many different and more recent drivers... I suggest getting an older one since the new ones might assume hardware better than 486-level.

Honnestly, I would suggest getting some newer soundcard for a Windows 98 machine. I also suggest not installing windows 98 on a 486. Windows 98 tend to use lots of memory and processing power, so a pentium is my sugested minimum for it.

I recomend using DOS and/or Windows 3.1, Windows 3.11, or Windows 95 if you got lots of RAM.

Here is the files you'll need for DOS or Windows 3.x: http://oldibmpc.sitesled.com/misc/Driver & Programs for DOS & Windows 3.zip

Here is the files you'll need for Windows 95: http://oldibmpc.sitesled.com/misc/Driver & Programs for Windows 95.zip

Follow my guidelines in the post above for instructions.

Last edited:
the only floppy drive that i have is in the 486, so i guess i'll have to download & burn it on a cd in my laptop here, pass it to the 486, and do the floppys there. i hope the drive still works :p. it's been a while since i used floppys...

That'll work. You can also move the floppy-drive over to a more recent computer, but if you don't like to edit BIOS settings/moving around hardware, your solution is the best.

Just make sure to make all 5 floppies before starting the installation.

its actually a am 5 x86 computer... i though it was a 486 at the beggining... it's sort of the equivalent to a pentium as far as i know...
anyway, as soon as i get the floppys i'll start.

ok... i got the floppys, tried the Dos installation (they were only 4 disks) and no luck... i still hear a lot of noise and hum and no sound... what now? :(
also, my windows wont load now... it crashes when it starts, after showing an error: "msgsrv32 has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"

Last edited:
ok... i got the floppys, tried the Dos installation (they were only 4 disks) and no luck... i still hear a lot of noise and hum and no sound... what now? :(
also, my windows wont load now... it crashes when it starts, after showing an error: "msgsrv32 has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"

Try using Windows 3.1 as Windows 98 tend to be unstable.

The file I provided got 5 disks (folders). Are you sure you used that one?

Also, what is in your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys file now?

yes, the one for dos and win 3.1 has only 4 disks, the one for win 95 has 5, but i havent tried it yet... and i'm not sure i can, because i cant load windows since i installed those 4 disks...

my autoexec reads:

yes, the one for dos and win 3.1 has only 4 disks, the one for win 95 has 5, but i havent tried it yet... and i'm not sure i can, because i cant load windows since i installed those 4 disks...

my autoexec reads:
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

and my config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM *** FILES=30
STACKS=0,0
BUFFERS=20
FILES=40

my autoexec reads:
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

and my config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM *** FILES=30
STACKS=0,0
BUFFERS=20
FILES=40

Sounds like your soundcard is partly broken or there is a conflict. Try all four combination of jumper IOS0 and IOS1. Also, can you provide a picture of the card?

ok, i'll try. any particular spot on the soundcard to get a pic? or just all of it?

A hi-quality picture of the whole thing would be fine (I should be able to read the letters printed on it).

What other cards do you got in your computer (pictures of them too please)?

ok, here are a few pics, one of the card, one of the back (just in case) and one with all the cards: (video and network cards)... if you want more pics, let me know... i'll try the jumpers now...
should i switch them and run diagnose every time i do it for the ports?

Attachments

• sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2
  • cards.jpg
    cards.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2
Back