• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Incredulous Software Advertisments

tezza

Veteran Member
For a year or so now, I've been scanning issues of a New Zealand computer magazine (in fact, the ONLY NZ nationwide computer mag.) from the early 1980s. Re-reading those old issues makes me smile on occasions. There are some wildly off-the-mark assessments, like the article titled "Commodore C16 and Plus 4 -A case of smart marketing" from the one I've just scanned (April, 85 issue). The same issue brims with excitement around the new field of modems and communication.

However, there was an advertisement that really captured my vintage interest. This one...

2009-06-01-sandfly-software-for-zx81.jpg

What?? A comprehensive banking program on a ZX-81?! Over 10,000 PSB programs sold??! In little old NZ with a population of just over 3 million?

Amazing! I did note the issue was an APRIL one, and wondered if this ad is in reference to the first day of the month!

But then...it might be true? Who am I to say. If so, all kudos to the author! After all Tandy sold a home accounting package for the 4k TRS-80 Model 1.

I thought folks might enjoy seeing an ad like this, to appreciate what people would buy for something that just must have been painful to use (and even more painful to write).

Tez

Last edited:
It may have been available for more than one system too, Tezza--a lot of companies back then supported multiple platforms.

Back