• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

making images for the kaypro 4

linemanduke

Veteran Member
i got a kaypro 4 free off craigslist but with no disk. i found the images for the starters from dave dunfields site but have no luck making them work. have a 486 with the drive from my xt in dos using the software he provided. I either can't get the settings right or somethings wrong.

it is a 4 not a iv but its the one with no modem.

Last edited:
What type of 5.25" floppy drive are you using to write the disks?
Is it a 360K drive or a 1.2MB?

(Whatever it is, it seems to have stolen most of your punctuation).

yeah. sorry not real good at punctuation was never really taught it ( long story).

im using the drive from my xt, so its a 360k.

Last edited:
About the ONLY thing I hate about images, is using IMD - no offense, Dave! Thanks for the work!

BUT.... I am accustomed for YEARS inusing TeleDisk - it does EVERYTHING automatically for you, and you don't have to remember all the transfer-rate conversions, etc...

Make SURE you read the part in the DOC about the transfer rates (I see the Kaypro 4 .IMD's are 250kbps - make sure that's 360kb DS/DD) and make sure you also set sides to 2, etc...

it ALWAYS drives me nuts to use it - but I understand the need to get past TeleDisk, as it's status is questionable, to say the least. My only issue, is if I don't use IMD for a while, I gotta run back to IMD.DOC, read the transfer rate section, and take notes and relearn all over again <sigh>.

Gotta be me, though, because it IS an awesome imager. It even does Tandy M4/M4p which I traditionally have had issues with using TeleDisk.

The other thing I noticed, is the images Dave has are for the Kaypro 4/84.
I don't know offhand how/if a 4/83 will handle that, if you happen to have one.

Search for kaypro 4 and see if you find my postings on ID, or just post a pic of your K4's mainboard, and I'll tell you what it is.
Basically, if it has the ROM socket in the middle, and it's a 28-pin socket, and has the 50-pin solderholes on the right side, where the FDD and
power go, it should be a 4/84. Also, in a 4/84, the RAM is all nice and neat, in the very left front corner of the mainboard.

T

im putting up pictures of my set up and the board. i still haven't cleaned the kaypros drives (i know i know), but i did try the drive i used to write the image that was a big ol bucket-o-fail drive access light doesn't even come on. whilre the drive in the kaypros light is always on.

from what you desribe mine is not an 84 (even though the xray warning card says it was made in may 1984.)

i have found his software to be very confusing and the instructions to be even more so. especially when the computer is telling me a double sided double density drive is 40 cylinders and the software is saying there was insufficiant cylinders to write image of ds/dd disk

One thing I noticed, was that KAYPRO1.IMD showed 41 tracks!!! with one being "unavailable."

Run "IMDU KAYPRO1.IMD" under dos, and you'll see what I mean...

Strange...

Download teledisk, and see if any of these work:

Try these:
ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/operatingsystems/Kaypro/Private-Images/K4-83.ZIP here

and ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/operatingsystems/Kaypro/Private-Images/kay4-84s.td0 here

try ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/operatingsystems/Kaypro/Private-Images/kay4_84g.td0 here

and ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/operatingsystems/Kaypro/Private-Images/kay4boot.td0 here

and finally ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/operatingsystems/Kaypro/Private-Images/kaysys.td0 here

On the "light always lit" on the Kaypro, if it's still trying to boot, most will normally STAY lit.
Reason being, when you insert a valid diskette, and close the door, it will read-and-boot.

:sly:

T

Last edited:
Lolz, how are you gonna run Windows 1.02 on that poor Kaypro?

I hope you get some software for this thing though.

Yep - definitely a 4/83. 4/84's had half-height FDD's...

Mainboard is different, too. Here's my 4/83 mainboard:

IMG_1279.jpg

and here on my 4/84, you can just BARELY make out that the top drive is half-height:

IMG_0888.jpg

Of course, that's my super-duper-excellent-condition Kaypro 4/84 with a Kaypro-88 8088 emulator/RAMDisk :)

T

LMD - lemme know when you've tried those links I gave you, and what the result was.
Try to stick with the *83* ones...

...oh, and I have another leg, so :bigups:

T

Hmmm...

See if you can rejumper the B: drive as the A: drive, and then try again with just the rejumpered A: drive.
Mebbe a drive is faulty...

Did you check and make sure the FDD cable is securely plugged in?
Make sure power's good at the FDD power connectors?

T

Back