• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Idea of IIe Platinum value

arjoll

Experienced Member
Its not fair. I'm being very tempted by an offer for a IIe Platinum on our local auction site Trademe.

It comes with "one floppy drive and one other drive" - whatever that means - and a non-Apple monitor.

Before I pay too much, does anyone have a ballpark idea of value of such a beast?

I could be wrong but I don't think they're worth much more than a regular IIe. I certainly like it since it has a number pad built in. I'm not sure what too much is in your case, if it was $150 or more I'd pass on it without much though.

I could be wrong but I don't think they're worth much more than a regular IIe. I certainly like it since it has a number pad built in. I'm not sure what too much is in your case, if it was $150 or more I'd pass on it without much though.
What is the regular IIe worth these days then? I got one one with a single Disk ][ and original green-screen monitor not long ago and it didn't cost me anything near $150.

I was just putting $150 as a too high price for the set. It's tough to say what everythings worth and I'm not searching for IIe's on a regular basis and can't give the best answer. I know I've seen a few go a lot higher than I would have imagined but IMO a IIe by itself is maybe worth $40 on feebay? Dunno.. it was probably many more years ago than practical but I'm still getting over the collection our Goodwill had 6 or 8 years ago with a bunch of them for $5.

Not that a recommend ebay for pricing but, non-yellowed platinum's with all the keys there pretty much sells for $75-$100 with or without a drive. Its not that they are all that rare but, they seemed to be harder hit by the yellowing bug then all the other apples. The keys on the keyboard yellowed as well making it hard to find a key to replace a missing one that matches at all.

Most people I know buys the system for the cards installed inside. If it's just a "stock" school unit (Floppy + 64k Aux + SSC) then it's not worth very much. Keep in mind that there were over a MILLION of these made, so every time some seller on fleabay calls it 'rare' I wanted to throw up...

Well certainly not rare here but, they are rare elsewhere. The platinum I sold on ebay got shipping costs requests from all over the world and ended up going to Japan. The shipping was like three times what it sold for.

It's not a "bargin" but if it's working and with disk drives I think it's a reasonable price. You've got to remember it's valued in NZ dollars (so $90 or so US$) and leaknoil is quite right. They are not that common here.

Tez

Thanks everyone. I have decided (with Tezza's help, its in his home town) to grab it for NZ$150 (around US$96), with the monitor and the one or two drives.

I know there are IIe's all over eBay, and not overly expensive, but shipping to NZ is a PITA (I was recently quoted US$650 shipping for a full system - IIe, DuoDrive, monitor, paddles, software; and a stand-alone IIe seems to be around US$90 or so). Also its more likely to be a 230V, PAL model than those on eBay!

yep, once again, shipping turns out to be a big factor. I recently purchased a Heathkit H89. The final bid was on the high side but it was close enough for me to go pick it up. My previous attempt ended up with a pile of garbage arriving at my door care of UPS, as in badly damaged by poor packing.

Also its more likely to be a 230V, PAL model than those on eBay!

I actually have been wondering about this. Since Apple made the monitors and computers for each other were there PAL versions of both ?

I've read something about II motherboards with PAL crystals but, does this mean they made PAL monitors too or was it just for rf converter use ?

I remember at one point in the mid 80's we had an Apple //e at home (must have borrowed it from somewhere - the "home" computer was a Sord M23!) and it worked fine through a Hitachi VCR into an NEC TV - all PAL, and all very intolerant of anything but 50Hz, let alone another colour system!

Wikipedia says that the Europlus came out so they could support PAL colour, as the II+ had some Woz 'tricks' to fake NTSC that wouldn't work with PAL. That may or may not be right (never sure of Wikipedia...).

Although there were over a million made, I can guarantee you, that over 1/2 of them were scrapped/recycled. I personally saw a warehouse down here in S. Florida, where the school systems in the Tri-County areas (Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties) had a hired contractor scrap them. Warehouse was probably 50,000 sqft, and it was BUSY for at least 8-12mos with about 2 dozen people scrapping machines. Mac Plus, Classics, Se's, SE/30's ( I saved a dozen SE/20's myself) II's, II+s, IIe's...

At one point, there was a pile of mainboard on the concret floor, probably 20ft wide at te base, and about 7-8' high. I'm about 5'11", and I cound't see over the TOP of the pile.

They also had a fenced-in outdoor area across the street with probably 500-1000 systems always waiting in line for the guillotine...

So although 1M+ were made, I'd be surprised if 30% survived.
In the mid-to-late 90's, they didn't have much value, and the majority were scrapped.

T

Latest news - turns out this Platinum is dead. The vendor can't get any life out of it at all.

I'm not convinced I want a dead one at the revised offer price, so may be passing on this one. I've been in touch with Tezza who knows more about NZ market pricing on these, and he agrees.

Wow, bummer but good for you on checking the status of it. Certainly an already deceased unit unless you're pretty sure you know what the problem is or love circuit tracing probably isn't worth the effort right now.

I can't take the credit for confirming the status - the auction said 'working' so I just assumed it was.

I've got Tezza to thank for saving me $150 on a dead Apple!

Back