• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Boot disk for Kaypro II with early rom

vanderk

Experienced Member
Hi! I've been collecting Kaypro computers for many years and recently stumbled upon a Kaypro II with an early 81-149 rom. I have been unable to locate an appropriate boot disk--none of the disk images on the net work. I would be very grateful if someone could provide assistance or steer me in the right direction. Thank you!

Kaypro II 81-149 ROM

Kaypro II 81-149 ROM

This model uses SSDD disks and the DSDD disk images just won't work.
I have good luck with the kayproii.zip file at www.classicmp.org. I have had trouble with some 5 1/4" drives that I use to make the images, some work a lot better than others. If you are really stuck let me know.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the Kaypro II boot disks from one site appear to be DSDD as noted in their description. Therefore, I created a DSDD boot disk (Kay II) from the images and booted my Kaypro IV with the disk. I then ran sysgen to create a bootable disc onto a previously Kaypro formatted SSDD disk--no luck. I am assuming all the images on the net for the Kaypro II are for the later Kaypro II roms.

Okay, I got it! As I mentioned earlier, my rom is labeled 81-149. I assumed one of the problems stemmed from the fact that te KII-B282.tdo image file from http://www.mrynet.com/kaypro/software.html was for a different ROM (81-282). Anyway, the problem was hardware related--I swapped the A: drive with my B: drive and it worked. The Kaypro II now boots as it should but surprisingly with a newer ROM version. Interestingly, my reference files do not show 81-282 as valid rom for a Kay II... only 81-232, 81-242, and 81-149C.

Okay, I got it! As I mentioned earlier, my rom is labeled 81-149. I assumed one of the problems stemmed from the fact that te KII-B282.tdo image file from http://www.mrynet.com/kaypro/software.html was for a different ROM (81-282). Anyway, the problem was hardware related--I swapped the A: drive with my B: drive and it worked. The Kaypro II now boots as it should but surprisingly with a newer ROM version. Interestingly, my reference files do not show 81-282 as valid rom for a Kay II... only 81-232, 81-242, and 81-149C.

hello,
how do you change the drives?
i ve the same problem, what can i do?

Drive Changing

Drive Changing

Hi -- I just physically swapped the drives. Don't forget the terminating resistor! I believe I also had to make a jumper change. I have since cleaned the heads of the problematic drive and it is working fine. Incidentally, I identified a problem at the Kaypro's power supply connection. The LED for my A: drive would occasionally go out, only to be fixed by a tap on the back on the unit. Some online research revealed that the solder joints at the connector on the power supply board can fail after time—this will not be visible with the naked eye. I re-soldered the connectors and everything is fine now. I also recapped the video board and power supply board due to some leaky caps.

Hello,
i although swap the drive. the old drive b become now drive a.
i test the drive under dos with the format A; /1 option for the old drive a (wont work with the bootdisk) and i get a write bootsector failed.
i think that my old drive a is although fault.
greetings and thanks for your reply

Hello,
now both drives works on my pc with the format A: /1 option

But ive another problem:
How is the jumper settings for drive B:?
Drive A: works, but if i enter B: at the Kaypro
it takes a lot of time the drives spin but the light dont turns on.

The terminator is at drive B: at the end of the cable right?
Mainboard -> Drive A -> Drive B
Drive A Jumper DS0
Drive B JUmper DS0 DS1

Thx for reply

Back