• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for an old game called "Island"

Civic Protection

Back in grade school, we used IBM computers like the IBM PS/2 Model 25.
This was in the early 1990's. They ran Warp OS. or something.

The game was called Island, and you were a dude who washed up on a tiny island, and you had to survive and make choices. You could collect water, catch fish, collect logs for a raft, sleep, and send messages in bottles.

You had to get off the island before 30 "game" days were up or a huricane blew the island away.
You can die by getting eaten by sharks when you are out swimming to get planks, a pirate ship can find your message in a bottle and capture you, you can sleep too much and die, or you can starve to death.

Hopefully, all goes well and you get rescued bt a freindly ship before you get eaten, starve, captured or blown away.

I remembet it being keyboard based, and it being under a megabye. I could fit it on a floppy disk and sneak a copy home.

I have looked far and wide for this, I am dying to get it. Thanks

Last edited:
I know the game you are talking about. I played it in elementary school as well. I've been looking for it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere! Let me know if you come across it.

Island Game

Island Game

If you find out where to find this or an emulator for this or even what company/computer system made/ran this, please let me know! I used to play this too and have been looking for this game for like a year with no success! Until now I couldn't even find a mention of this game. (And I KNOW the game was called "ISLAND"; it's too bad it's not a unique-sounding name that might be easier to find). Thank you!

--Amy

still looking...

still looking...

Its been a while since anyone commented on this thread, but I have searched and searched for that game too. If anyone has found it I would love to know.

I used to play such a game, but I doubt if this is what you're looking for - this "Island" game I have was made in 1995, works under DOS, and its language is Polish.
However, the intro to this game mentions it's based on some earlier "Island" game for C64 - perhaps this is where you should search?

I know the Johnny Castaway isn't it but I don't know if it was perhaps based on a game or anything? Certainly has most of the similarities other than just being a screen saver. Anyone remember any new details other than the OP like what hardware or operating system they were in when they played it? If it was really called Island or if just the exe was called island.exe?

Seeing other posts one person looking for a similar game said it was [url="http://db.tigsource.com/games/schiffbruch/screenshots/633]Schiffbruch (Shipwreck!) [/url] but another poster said that wasn't what they remembered.

Johnny Castaway

Johnny Castaway

I think this is what you're looking for, if you still haven't found it... :)

http://johnny-castaway-screensaver.en.softonic.com/

Back in grade school, we used IBM computers like the IBM PS/2 Model 25.
This was in the early 1990's. They ran Warp OS. or something.

The game was called Island, and you were a dude who washed up on a tiny island, and you had to survive and make choices. You could collect water, catch fish, collect logs for a raft, sleep, and send messages in bottles.

You had to get off the island before 30 "game" days were up or a huricane blew the island away.
You can die by getting eaten by sharks when you are out swimming to get planks, a pirate ship can find your message in a bottle and capture you, you can sleep too much and die, or you can starve to death.

Hopefully, all goes well and you get rescued bt a freindly ship before you get eaten, starve, captured or blown away.

I remembet it being keyboard based, and it being under a megabye. I could fit it on a floppy disk and sneak a copy home.

I have looked far and wide for this, I am dying to get it. Thanks

Found it!

Found it!

I used to play such a game, but I doubt if this is what you're looking for - this "Island" game I have was made in 1995, works under DOS, and its language is Polish.
However, the intro to this game mentions it's based on some earlier "Island" game for C64 - perhaps this is where you should search?

I know this thread is super old but I came across it when I was also searching for this game. I found it! Or at least the one that I was thinking of, I think the the original poster was describing the one I used to play in school. Thanks to this comment I searched "Island game for C64" and came across it on gamebase64: http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=3842&d=30 It's called Island(Rescue) by The Guild Adventure Software, published in 1983.

I've been searching for it for a while and it was frustrating with such a vague name. I thought I'd post so other people who are searching for it can find it too. Thanks for the help!

Just wondering if you have been successful in finding this game? I've been thinking about it lately and your post is the first I've seen describing it EXACTLY! I'd like to show my husband the game. It was one we played all the time at my elementary school.

I know this thread is super old but I came across it when I was also searching for this game. I found it! Or at least the one that I was thinking of, I think the the original poster was describing the one I used to play in school. Thanks to this comment I searched "Island game for C64" and came across it on gamebase64: http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=3842&d=30 It's called Island(Rescue) by The Guild Adventure Software, published in 1983.

I've been searching for it for a while and it was frustrating with such a vague name. I thought I'd post so other people who are searching for it can find it too. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for finally identifying the game name for me, Alissandre. This game has been in the back of my mind for over two decades now.

I recently found out that it has been uploaded to the Internet Archive and it's playable through the browser.

https://archive.org/details/Island_Rescue_1983_The_Guild_Adventure_Software

Thought I would share with you all. Hope it brings back the wonderful memories. Have fun!

I think this is what you're looking for, if you still haven't found it... :)

http://johnny-castaway-screensaver.en.softonic.com/

This seems to be a very old thread, but it was the first one that caught my eye after signing up. I don't think OP is talking about a screensaver. You aren't talking about Myst are you? I remember playing that in the 90s and you had to figure out how to get off a deserted island, I think? I remember it being a super weird game, but an amazing one (albeit extremely difficult). If I remember correctly though, I was playing it on a Mac in the mid 90s.

This seems to be a very old thread, but it was the first one that caught my eye after signing up. I don't think OP is talking about a screensaver. You aren't talking about Myst are you? I remember the best probiotic for men playing that in the 90s and you had to figure out how to get off a deserted island, I think? I remember it being a super weird game, but an amazing one (albeit extremely difficult). If I remember correctly though, I was playing it on a Mac in the mid 90s.

I started playing MYST again after posting this and it's every bit as weird as I remember!

Back