• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cromemco 64FDC controlling 5.25" 1.2MB diskette drives

smplfyi

Experienced Member
After some polite reminders from Mike Stein that my progress in connecting my CDOS / Cromix Cromemco Z2 system was taking ages I have finally got down to it and got it working.

I have been very busy Mike honest!

It is all blogged here so other prospective Cromemco users wishing to do the same should have an easy time if you just follow my instructions.

http://majzel.blogspot.com/2009/03/cromemco-z2-now-using-525-hd-diskettes.html

regards marcus b.

And about time I say!

You won't miss those 8" disks and drives at all except when you absolutely have to copy to/from one.

But I have to ask: why the extra trouble of the wire to the drive and the pin, etc.? Wouldn't it have been easier and more convenient to just go across from J3-50 to J2-34 as in the picture I sent you? Easier to do with the board in front of you, more secure, no extra wires dangling, also easy drive replacement if necessary, no? Am I missing something?

Have fun!

Yikes!

Of course that would be better. I must confess to not remember having receiving such a picture but clearly a board to board modification would be better.

Plus I would not need that sewing needle kludge!

Okay, I go to this more optimal design presently and report back :eek:

Mike,

OK blog suitably updated. Wires connected on the 64FDCboard only. All still well with the 1.2MB 5.25 inch drive.

Next step is to take a HD diskette created in such a drive and see if they can be read in a PC XT with PCalien.exe

A good question. Obviously this only solves the 8" drive and media availability/reliability issues, and reading and writing on a PC will have the same issues as a "real" 8" drive. Standard SS/SD CP/M format works PC>Cromemco; the question of whether it would work with a disk formatted on the Cromemco, or whether any other formats (esp. DS) will work, and which software is best (PC-Alien, 22Disk, Uniform...) awaits your diligent investigation ;-)

More research is needed.

64 fdc

64 fdc

Hi All;
I have a pair of controllers , the 64 fdc, and a set of 8" floppy drives for them, they are out in the Shed, collecting Dust.... I don't know if either the controllers work or if the drive are in working order.....
I have always made the assumption that since they were Cromemco that they would not work in my Altair.... But, I have not checked it out...
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have a pair of controllers , the 64 fdc, and a set of 8" floppy drives for them, they are out in the Shed, collecting Dust.... I don't know if either the controllers work or if the drive are in working order.....
I have always made the assumption that since they were Cromemco that they would not work in my Altair.... But, I have not checked it out...
THANK YOU Marty
Well, it could be a fun project; the FDC is just a bunch of registers after all ;-)
The RS-232 port, the bank switching and the on-board monitor would just add to the fun!
And of course they do drive both 5 1/4 or 8" drives (or 8" emulated on 5 1/4HD or 3.5") and also a tape drive just as a bonus.

drive controllers

drive controllers

Hi All;
I was AMISS about what I had, after digging it out I found I had a 16fdc not a 64fdc...
I am wondering which of the following would be the easiest for me to get working on my Altair 8800 with 8080..... I am not good with software and not much better with hardware.
cromeco 16fdc,
cromeco wdi-ii ( hard disk)
miniscribe 1002 (hard disk)
compupro Disk1 (171D) it has no ic's on it , I think I have most of them except the programmed 2716...
suntronics floppy controller both 8 " and 5 1/4 " worked with z-80 sbc 880 system
tarbell mdl 1011D ( I think bad 1771)
Alpha mico floppy comtroller ( I think bad 1771)
Alpha micro hard disk controller for 'Hawk' 10 meg drive. I have drive, big sucker..
north star micro disk mdc a4 unknown if it works, is missing some parts including a prom , I have all but the prom.
north star micro disk mds ad
THANK YOU Marty

The 16FD would make an equally fun project...;-)
The WDI-II is only compatible with IMI drives (11MB 8", 5 & 20MB 5")
AFAIK Rich Cini is using a Compupro in his IMSAI; maybe he can supply a dump of the EPROM for yours.

disk controller

disk controller

Hi;
The Compupro Disk1 would be a fine board to use from looking at it , it looks like I have Most of the ic's --
What I am missing or not sure if I have is --
4136 Do not know what this is , Could it be an 8136 under a different brand
9602 what I have are bad, so I would need some new ones.
25ls2521 I don't think I have any of these either.
and of course the program for the eprom.... other than that It looks like a Go.
THANK YOU Mike :p :p :p
Thank You Marty

disk1

disk1

Hi all;
I have all of the parts, can't say that any are good , not to say that all are good. But I have something in all of the sockets !!!!! :D :D :D
THANK YOU Marty

Back