• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model30 - Startup problems

Vifa

Experienced Member
Hi there again

As some of you already might know from my other thread I just changed the battery in my machine as a result of a 161 Error.

It still ask for "Set time and date", first of all, how do I set this?

Then, if I press "F1 to resume" it will continue to the start-up screen, but after writing some couple of lines it post this: "Wrong command og filename".
I remember some thing about a starter-disk from another thread, don't know exactly what a starter disk is, but will it solve anything?

Vifa

Thanks for the links ! :)

First I found my orignal starter disk - no luck. Then I found a backup I had of the exact same disk - again no luck. Then I tried the file from your link - unfortunately no luck again.. :(

I get this screen every time I try, what can be wrong?

Attachments

• 09082009(001).jpg
    09082009(001).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1
looks like it is saying "Bad disk, insert system disk and press F1". I'm just guessing here though, i could be totally wrong.

:eek: Oh.. :O Seriously ? I only have 1.44 mb disks:confused: Can I convert these to 720 kb?
Yes.
Just cover that hole in the corner (opposite to the write-protection tab) with black adhesive tape (I'm not sure if transparent would work, I always use black), and format them to 720 KB.

So, I finally got some time to try it.

I taped up a 1.44 mb disk and formatted it to a 720 kb disk with WinImage.

First I tried with the starter disk marrr linked to. I got this message the first time: "Internal Stack Overflow - System Halted". Then I tried again and it looked like it was a success, but all I could see on the screen was this (see attached pic).

I tried a couple of times more, same result. I went on to try my original starter disk again, this time it showed the same screen as I have previously posted (the broken disk screen). I tried the other disk again, this time it posted: "Disk Boot Failure".

So I decided to try the Diagnostic disk instead, same result: "Disk Boot Failure".

Can the floppy drive be bad? Or is there anything else I can do?

Vifa

Attachments

• 15082009.jpg
    15082009.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1
Back