• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quadra 605.

Tupin

Experienced Member
Okay, I recently acquired a lot of Apple stuff, and this little machine was hidden away along with the AppleCD drive. I tried hooking it up to an AppleColor RGB monitor, but it didn't have any display and it looks like I would need an adapter to hook it up to a VGA monitor.

Also, I looked inside and it seems to lack both an internal speaker and a fan. Is this normal?

Also, I looked inside and it seems to lack both an internal speaker and a fan. Is this normal?

No... that's not normal. It should have both, and they should be clearly visible when you look inside. If they're not there, then... something's missing.

It should also display just fine on an Apple RGB monitor. A VGA adapter is pretty easy to get ahold of, but if you know your Apple monitor works, then it would probably be wise to track down the problem before taking any other steps.

Can you perhaps get any pictures of the inside?

That's a very old monitor - it's worth a few dollars to buy the VGA adapter to check it out on a VGA display.

If you don't see a speaker and fan in the center, it sounds like it has been stripped. Does it have VRAM installed (next to the power supply)?

...it sounds like it has been stripped. Does it have VRAM installed (next to the power supply)?

That's kinda what I was thinking when I requested pictures. I'll add, I believe that model requires the VRAM SIMMs be installed in pairs, so make sure there are two of them, and they're both the same capacity.

Yeah, it has VRAM. It has a 160MB harddrive in it now, but I have a 250MB one that I found in the box as well.

I plugged in an external speaker and I got the start-up sound, so I might need to get that monitor adapter.

Is it okay that there's no fan? I can deal without an internal speaker, but will it melt itself if there's no fan?

It'll probably be OK, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a fan if you're going to be using it a lot. It should be a pretty standard 60x15 fan, if my Performa 460 is any indication. You can find those on a lot of old CPU heatsinks from P4's and Athlons and such.

Another question. I found some loose memory boards in the box I found the computer in and one of them is 16 MB. How can I tell much RAM I have when I power it up?

Well, I'd kinda keep an eye out, if you run across a fan for free, you may as well grab it.

WRT the link I gave, I should mention, they're a trustworthy enough company, but do expect to wait about 2-3 weeks to get anything you order from them. Their free shipping is by way of slow boat from Hong Kong. It'll come eventually, but I wouldn't advise hanging out by the mailbox waiting for it. :cool:

As for the RAM, the only ways I know of determining that are to either look in the system properties in MacOS (which, of course, requires an OS to be installed), or to look at the stick of RAM itself.

I'll look someplace else for it, if not I'll buy it from them.

It does say they ship airmail, but it must take a long time because of Hong Kong's postal system.

Last edited:
From my experience when using my IIci, a normal pass-through adapter didn't work for the onboard video when using a normal VGA monitor (though the old 12" Apple RGB monitor worked fine.)

I had to get an adapter with the dip switches and manually set it to 640x480 to use the onboard video with a VGA monitor. I don't know if that holds true for your Quadra, though.

Is it okay that there's no fan? I can deal without an internal speaker, but will it melt itself if there's no fan?

Your Mac is a 68040 board crammed into a case that was originally designed for a 68020. I would definitely run a Quadra 605 with a fan. It may not run hot enough to cause a failure right away, but it would create an unnecessarily hot environment and generally add to the wear and tear on all the internal components.

I got a fan from a 2004 Windows PC, and it doesn't want to work in my Quadra. I plug it in, but I'm not entirely sure which place to plug it into.

I know this fan isn't bad because it works, does anyone have the board layout and know where the fan plugs into?

Ah, I think I've got a bad battery. It says the hard drive spins a little and you get is black if the battery is bad, and that's what I'm getting. It's just a 3.6v battery, right?

I'll take it out and get a replacement tomorrow, I figure I'll just adjust the settings when I start it up.

Okay, I have a ViewSonic Macintosh Adapter, and I'm trying to hook it into a VGA monitor/TV. It has settings for resolution, but I can't even get the thing to show an image, what could be wrong?

I got it to boot up to the question marked floppy, and the only boot disk I had was labeled for a Macintosh Plus, just to see if it would work. It gave me a happy Mac at first, but then it gave me a sad Mac and this error code:

0000000F
00007FFF

What does it mean?

Last edited:
Back