• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Monitor for Amiga 500?

SuperJules84

Hello all, this is my first post and I'm not exactly a digital native, so please be gentle!

I'm about to move house and will finally have the space to accommodate my beloved Amiga 500. However, the monitor is obviously enormous by modern standards! Will the machine work with a different monitor or do I have to use the original? If it will work with a different monitor, is there a particular type I should get?

Cheers

Jules

13" is huge? (well maybe compared to a LCD in the depth department). The problem you will have finding a replacement is that it had to sync to 15khz when just about all modern monitors do 30khz. You can get devices that will scandouble/flickerfix so you can use a newer LCD but they are expensive.

Amiga monitors are getting rare in working conditions I suggest you keep it and use it.

Similarly to unknown's comment the Amiga monitor if it works is really worth keeping around. If anything hook up a gaming system to it since it accepts direct RCA connections and check out the difference vs a TV.

There are a few multisync monitors that can work with that lower Hz (NEC has (or had) one). Still if you have the choice and monitor already it's worth hanging on to.

I was thinking about the possibility to get a HDMI compatible signal from the Amiga. It seems not so easy. You could get a RGB to component transcoder and probably plug in the Amiga into a modern TV (not computer monitor).

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31364

If you were living in Europe, you could use a RGB SCART cable but I realize SCART input is getting obsolete as well.

Hello folks,

Very recently I got an Amiga 500, and it looks pretty good.
It was made in Germany, so it is a European style. Now,
I don't have an RGB monitor or an A520 modulator to
connecto it to a TV set. What should I do, to get something
viewable out of it?

Thank you

ziloo

Hello folks,

Very recently I got an Amiga 500, and it looks pretty good.
It was made in Germany, so it is a European style. Now,
I don't have an RGB monitor or an A520 modulator to
connecto it to a TV set. What should I do, to get something
viewable out of it?

Thank you

ziloo

You may be able to work out something from the pinout provided here:
http://www.cdtv.org.uk/1295.html#rgbvideo

Or just do like this (if you live in Europe):
http://pspemulation2.condor.serverpro3.com/screenshots/amiga-scar-cable-fix.jpg

The Amiga 500 happens to have a monochrome RCA video output next to the RGB connector. If you want colour though, you will need to obtain some interface or adapter.

Yep. However I have a strong feeling that "the basement" is somewhere in North America. :)

:rofl: :happy7:

Actually I have lived on both sides of the ocean, but presently I am on
the old continent...

Thank you all fo your prompt responses!

ziloo :biggrin:

I have an Amiga 500 but no Amiga RGB monitor. I just use that plug-in RF/Composite video adapter when necessary or just use the mono composite output. Incidently. the latter gives for a very sharp image on a green screen.

I DO have an Amiga monitor cable. I've noticed the plug on the end looks like it might fit the plug from my IBM RGB monitor. I'm going from memory here, I actually haven't tried to fit it (and the machine's in it's box in the garage and I'm still in bed having a morning coffee so I'm not going to try it right now), but it LOOKS like it's physically compatible. Anyone know if it actually is compatible as far as the electronics go? I don't want to blow up my Amiga or my IBM 5153 Monitor.

Actually I also have an Apple IIGS RGB monitor here doing nothing. I see the input is not physically compatible with the Amiga cable though.

Tez

I DO have an Amiga monitor cable. I've noticed the plug on the end looks like it might fit the plug from my IBM RGB monitor. I'm going from memory here, I actually haven't tried to fit it (and the machine's in it's box in the garage and I'm still in bed having a morning coffee so I'm not going to try it right now), but it LOOKS like it's physically compatible. Anyone know if it actually is compatible as far as the electronics go? I don't want to blow up my Amiga or my IBM 5153 Monitor.
Well, the sync. frequencies are about the same, BUT, the CGA monitor only recognizes two different states of the signal, limiting the color selection to 8 (Intensity not included). The Amiga surely could produce more than 8 colors.

I might actually get a 500 soon, and I was wondering if there's a direct RGB to VGA adapter that I can buy online.

Yes there is a VGA adapter, they're pretty easy to find, but the picture is not that good I have found. I suggest you only use the vga adapter in a pinch. You may end up with a black and white flittering display.

Here is what I use - a Magnavox Professional Series Color Display. I have seen these for sale recently
thm_magnvox_colordisplay.JPG

Also, the Commodore 1950 is a fine monitor if you can find one. I have a few bad pics here:
http://vintagecomputer.net/commodore/

magnavox monitor professional series 1992 model

magnavox monitor professional series 1992 model

Where can i find to buy a magnavox professional series 1992 model with or without the connecting cable. Any help with information will be highly a appreciated. Thanks

I have an Amiga500+ with a "huge" 4 Mb hard drive but no monitor , would like to get it running again but my Philips monitor is deceased , anybody know what I could use instead , might still have the RGB adapter but would modern TV be suitable ?? I`m not technical so please keep answers fairly simple please , thanks in advance

Back