• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tandon TM-100 Disk Drive Service ---Looking

Ok, when you get tired of screwing around with it and want it serviced by somone that's been doing it since before IBM had personal computers, drop me a line.

We went through the same routine with Lorne's TPI drives and nothing worked until he sent them to me.

glutton for punishment
Fig. someone who is eager for a burden or some sort of difficulty; someone willing to accept a difficult task.

You're trying to get in ahead of the grasping at straws point this time, huh?

Dougtronics,

Stripping a drive takes a lot of skill. Unless you really want to do this yourself, my suggestion would be to send Druid6900 a private message and make arrangements with him. He's indicated he is willing to look at the drive.

Tez

Dougtronics,

Stripping a drive takes a lot of skill.

Tez

I can testify to that, as I just did it two hours ago to remove a stepper motor from a DS Tandon to use in a SS Tandon.
First of all, you actually do have to strip it to the bone (at least to get the motor out anyway - unless there's an easier way than I did it).
There's a ton of very small parts, and small screws of various types.
Unfortunately, I've already spent enough on weird tools in this hobby, that I had the correct ones at hand (almost at hand - it took about 10 separate trips to the tool box).
I haven't quite yet worked up the courage to rip apart the (what seems to be rare) SS Tandon drive to replace the motor.
In addition, I suspect that after taking it all apart, replacing the motor, and reassembling it, that alignment of all types will be required.
That in itself is liable to be an expensive, if not daunting task.
Don't bite off more than you can chew - It'll probably be cheaper getting it fixed by someone with a glutton for punishment, or replacing it, if you can find one. (and if you do find one, let me know because I need one (maybe two), SS Tandon drives).

Dougtronics,

Stripping a drive takes a lot of skill. Unless you really want to do this yourself, my suggestion would be to send Druid6900 a private message and make arrangements with him. He's indicated he is willing to look at the drive.

Tez

Thanks, very good suggestion, I might wind up doing that. I found a Kaypro user at my work and he said he will help me to diagnosis drive, mother board, power supply before I go for an outside job.

Dougtronics

From the results of my friend assisted testing, I am now able to close out this posting of Tandon TM-100 Disk Drive Service ---Looking. Thanks everybody for the help.

Results of my Kaypro II testing:
1. My two TM-100 Drives are working properly
2. My spare TM-100 Drive is not working. I have yet to determine problem is mechnical or electronics.
3. The mother board is not working properly. I try to isolale to the section of disk driver. Will post this later for everybody's suggestion.

Dougtronics

No, it's not being a glutton for punishment at all.

Over my career in computer maintenance, I've, probably, aligned several hundred drives of various size and manufacturer. I have the tools, the software and the experience to do it.

In those years of aligning drives, I've never had to replace a head or stepper motor, although several spindle motors have had to go along with a couple of broken bands for that type of drive.

I could, probably, align a drive in my sleep and may well have :)

Another thought !

Another thought !

Hi !

Why not just replace them with TEACs ???

Some of my other posts indicate my long term very happy experiences with TEACS over the ever problematic issues with the early Tandons.

I never had an issue with any TEAC ! The Tandons were always an issue.

I wasted too much time fooling with them, until I finally decided to switch to TEACS.

Other drives may also be much better than Tandons.

Farris is a good source also for drive repair, options, replacements, etc. Just do a search of this site or even Google.

But if you are a "purist" and want to keep the Kaypros in "original" condition, then that is another issue.

I am very practical. I want them to work reliably and dependably above all else. I had a lot of work to do back then and could not tolerate computer systems that were not consistently working.

All the best !

Frank

Hi !

Why not just replace them with TEACs ???

Some of my other posts indicate my long term very happy experiences with TEACS over the ever problematic issues with the early Tandons.

I never had an issue with any TEAC ! The Tandons were always an issue.

I wasted too much time fooling with them, until I finally decided to switch to TEACS.

Other drives may also be much better than Tandons.

Farris is a good source also for drive repair, options, replacements, etc. Just do a search of this site or even Google.

But if you are a "purist" and want to keep the Kaypros in "original" condition, then that is another issue.

I am very practical. I want them to work reliably and dependably above all else. I had a lot of work to do back then and could not tolerate computer systems that were not consistently working.

All the best !

Frank

I recall reading your experiences with TEACS, as such I ordered a Mitsubishi. However, further testing showed my two TM-100 were actually functioned properly. The problem is the motherboard. Until motherboard fixed I am not able to use the Mitsubishi, so that the life of two TM-100 could greatly extended.

Dougtronics

No, it's not being a glutton for punishment at all.

Over my career in computer maintenance, I've, probably, aligned several hundred drives of various size and manufacturer. I have the tools, the software and the experience to do it.

In those years of aligning drives, I've never had to replace a head or stepper motor, although several spindle motors have had to go along with a couple of broken bands for that type of drive.

I could, probably, align a drive in my sleep and may well have :)
Agreed. With the proper stuff they're usually pretty easy to clean & align; I've even done a few myself in my time and actually found them relatively reliable and foolproof (for their time) contrary to opinions to the contrary.

I was commenting on the OP's original intention to completely strip it to the "bare bones" and then reassemble and align etc. it with nothing more than a homemeade logic probe; that did seem to be "asking for it" and it's a good thing that he found that they were in fact working before he destroyed them.

Unless it's for authenticity, can't you just use the DS drives in place of the SS?

I just revisited this quote, while I was so frustrating with my failed motherboard. After reseating everything, the board still not budging. The question I want to ask is how can we tell the drive is SS or DS in side the unit. Also similarly how can we tell I floppy diskette is SS or DS.

Dougtronics

The question I want to ask is how can we tell the drive is SS or DS in side the unit. Also similarly how can we tell I floppy diskette is SS or DS.

Dougtronics

If you can physically see the drive, you can check for the connectors at the front of the drive. If it has two connectors (P5 & P6), it's double sided. If there's only a P6, it's single sided.

DS Tandon.JPG

I would be surprised if you have any SS disks - I've found them hard to come by. A DS disk will work in a SS drive, if it has been formatted as SS.

Back