• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A new addition. A PS/2 Model 70.

tezza

Veteran Member
Hi,
It pays to get to know your local recycling centre.

I'd been looking for a replacement PS/2 30-286 so I could snitch a planar from it, to replace my TWO non-working ones. Anyway, I dropped a printed photo of a PS/2 30-286 off to the local e-goods recycling centre and asked the friendly guy there if he could phone me if any of these came in for scrapping.

About a week later I get a call. He had something there that looked like what I had in the photo but it was a model 70 not a 30-286. Did I want it?

Of course I wanted it! I had an IBM PS/2 microchannel architecture model on the wanted list These machines had some historical significance as a blind alley IBM went into where no-one followed. It would be a good addition to my collection.

Anyway, I uplifted it and bought it home. It was without a monitor or keyboard but the box itself was ok, albeit a little grubby. (I haven’t cleaned it yet, so sorry, no photo) . I’ve had incredibly bad luck with PS/2s . Of all my machines, they are the only ones that don’t go! Would this be any better? I plugged in and flicked the switch.

No smoke, no bangs….I was surprised at how quiet the fan was
……the usual expected 161 and 163 errors…. Then a big red OK with a line through it and an arrow pointing to an IBM document.
Ok, no problem. I knew what to do. I pressed F1…the floppy disk activated then the machine fell through to ROM BASIC.

Well, a non-configured CMOS and dead battery as expected but at least the planar worked!

Ok, the next task was to find a reference disk. That was no problem (Google is indeed a friend) and soon I had one. I also had a standard MS-DOS boot disk just as a check. If things didn’t work I wanted to know if it was the floppy drive, or the reference disk image.

Unfortunately, the floppy drive DOES appear stuffed. I’ve had a good search through the threads on this forum and it seems this is a common problem. It’s a 1.44 MB drive but it has that unconventional edge card connection into a socket on a vertical board. I’ve also found a thread on here where someone has made up a cable which will allow a more conventional drive to be used. I might have to resort to that.

Anyway, I haven’t finished checking out the drive yet. I’ve used a disk cleaner (that didn't work), but I’ll try to disassemble the drive, clean the heads manually and lube it, then see what happens. If I can’t fix it, I might start a thread in the 386/486 forum asking for some ideas.

Just thought I’d let you know of my latest acquisition. If I can get the drive going I’ll be very happy. These IBM machines are not that common here.

Tez

P.S. One of my broken PS/2 30-286s had a similar floppy drive and I tried that in the model 70. It seems that drive is stuffed too!

Last edited:
Hey well done, Tezza. Does neither of your other PS/2s have a 1.44 Floppy? (Edit: oops, reading your post again I see you've tried from one of your PS/2s anyway)

(I was visiting Tezza's place last Friday & we discussed & studied his two no-go PS/2s which he has spent time & effort on troubleshooting - not easy with no circuit diags or good tech docs available. This is great that one has turned up - they're so rare here in NZ).

Yahoo! :D

Philip

I just got a lead on an IBM 5150 or 5160 with both size floppy drives, complete with original boxes, software and manuals. It's just two hours away. The owner is looking to see the model number but off the top of his head, he did say it wasn't a 286 and came with no hard drive. He added all the extras himself and he had it working last week. The guy is also getting a lot of 5-1/4 floppies from work. He said 2 years ago the company threw out all their old DEC equipment (DECstation 5000 and DEC 3000 (alpha) workstations.) but he will look and see if there is anything still kicking around.

Tezza, have you found any Freecycle groups there yet? My lead came from Freecycle in my area. I was very lucky to be the first to reply.

Last edited:
Thanks for the congrats Phillip. Hopefully I can sort this drive issue one way or another. There isn't much you can do with these machines unless you run that reference disk and configure CMOS. The hard drive could also be toast as far as I know...but it will be fun finding out.

I won't be able to look at it until the weekend. Work is busy and other things are taking up my weekday evenings right now.

Tezza, have you found any Freecycle groups there yet? My lead came from Freecycle in my area. I was very lucky to be the first to reply.

There is a freecycle in my area. It's not active at all though, and I don't think there are many members. No one ever posts anything. I did think of putting a call out, but what I need is very specific, and I'm not sure I would want all the junk that people would expect me to take away. It is an option though.

Tez

I'll bump this up, because the machine is now fully functioning and I've added it to my collection site. Many thanks to Allen, for providing me with the replacement drive, good advice and some extras. As a seller, he's a pleasure to deal with.

I enjoyed playing around with this machine and also exploring OS/2 2.1. I'll write a blog article at some stage on this restoration experience and my impressions of both the PS/2 70 itself and OS/2 2.1.

Tez

I'll bump this up, because the machine is now fully functioning and I've added it to my collection site. Many thanks to Allen, for providing me with the replacement drive, good advice and some extras. As a seller, he's a pleasure to deal with.

I enjoyed playing around with this machine and also exploring OS/2 2.1. I'll write a blog article at some stage on this restoration experience and my impressions of both the PS/2 70 itself and OS/2 2.1.

Tez

I may soon get one myself. I hope that one doesn't got broken floppy drives.

BTW, is your PS/2 the 386 or 486 version of model 70?

It's the 386-DX20 version. A PS/2 Model 70 (121) with the large planar.

For those who haven't seen inside these machines, there are some interesting design features. I'll put some pictures of the innards in the blog entry I'll write soon.

Tez

It's the 386DX-20 version. A PS/2 Model 70 (121) with the large planar.

For those who haven't seen inside these machines, there are some interesting design features. I'll put some pictures of the innards in the blog entry I'll write soon.

The Model 50 and Model 70 were designed for some automated assembly, but not really any of the other PS/2s. Plastic clips do break with too many cycles, so for me it is more irritating now. Other parts of the design, like the whole drive platform thing & edge-connector PSU, make them different too.

There are several versions of the planars for the Model 70. 16 and 20MHz long and short versions, 25Mhz 386DX (¨Axx¨) and 486DX-25 (¨Bxx¨) where the CPU/L2 cache were on a small riser, and an after-market upgrade from IBM that had the 486DX on the planar (still considered a ¨Bxx¨). I´ve got just about every style but the 486DX riser version.

Thats a nice machine, all my PS/2 systems are towers and a nice besktop would be cool to have. Floppy drives for PS/2 do seem to die of old age, I have 1 dead unit that I know of that I keep to revive if/when I know how.

Yes, it would be nice to know WHY they do that? I wonder if it is a common fault? If it could diagnosed, perhaps many could be fixed?

BTW, I've written a blog entry on the new acquisition, for those who are interested.

Tez

My understanding is because of the lack of a drive door on most of them, the mechanism is more "exposed to the elements" and prone to at least get dirty earlier.

That would not explain why brand new systems never taken out of the box would have a DOA drive in them.

Back