• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TV out card for PC XT

JT64

Experienced Member
I would really like a graphic card with tv-out for my XT, anyone have card or tried?

I think ATI had at least 16-bit ISA cards with tv-out, did any of them work in 8-bit slot.

JT

What's wrong with a plain old CGA card? It has composite out.

Well probably do as well, but i wanted to play some old games in VGA mode.
My motherboard has CGA but certainly not any TV-out.
But CGA is not composite video signal, if so how to attach composite video connector, just twin all cables together?

My atari had a RF modulator built in for tv output, i can not imagine CGA be a composite video signal but i have been wrong before.

JT

It's quite possible the card currently in use could be video + parallel port?

In that case, we should perhaps explicitly state that many video cards (which are exclusively video cards) did have composite jacks.

Edit: OOPS, it appears we are dealing with integrated onboard CGA. Forget what I said.

lolwut? There should be a plain old composite video port above or below the CGA monitor port.

Yes, on an ORIGINAL IBM CGA there is. But we don't know if he has some non-IBM late clone that maybe doesn't? :) Or perhaps an EGA in CGA mode or something.

I believe all the ATI VGAWonder products have SVIDEO out.

There may be a catch to using them in an 8 bit slot though. There is an EEPROM on the card that must be configured for 8-bit operation, the factory default is 8 bits if I remember correctly. The configuration program comes with the card and is a DOS application.

The catch, any such card you get these days will be used, and almost certainly be configured for 16 bit mode. You will have to install the card in a 16 bit slot, reconfigure it for 8 bit mode, then move it to the 8 bit computer.

-BernieK

Oh sorry, that is a mouse port between the two connectors, not a SVIDEO port.

Sorry about the confusion. I know I saw a SVIDEO cable around here somewhere. I wonder which card it attaches to.

-BernieK.

Edit: I found the source of my confusion. Where the modern, or latest, ATI cards have the SVIDEO out between the two DVI connectors, the vintage ISA VGAWonder cards have a mouse port for connection to an ATI mouse. Those two center connectors look similar.

-BernieK

Oh sorry, that is a mouse port between the two connectors, not a SVIDEO port.

Sorry about the confusion. I know I saw a SVIDEO cable around here somewhere. I wonder which card it attaches to.

-BernieK.

Edit: I found the source of my confusion. Where the modern, or latest, ATI cards have the SVIDEO out between the two DVI connectors, the vintage ISA VGAWonder cards have a mouse port for connection to an ATI mouse. Those two center connectors look similar.

-BernieK

IIRC that mouse port is a "bus mouse" port, for the InPort mouse and similar.

I never knew they had XT compatibles with on board video.

The Tandy 1000 line would fall under that category, as well as the PS/2 Model 25 and 30. There were some more obscure XT-class machines with onboard video, but it was not something you saw very often.

Back