• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: My Bebox

Yeah, they are pretty cool machines and very unique bits of computing history. If I had more room and $$$ I'd keep it :( Always wanted a large collection of old machines. But I'm a part-time employed "almost-a-college-student" that needs a running vehicle. lol.. oh well. Thanks for the comment.

Hi everybody,

If we all post about how we can't afford this particular machine, how much room we need that we don't have, or how we had one named 'fluffy' that we loved as a kid but it was run over by a car then this thread would get impossibly long with no real information in it. Please ensure your replies are informative and are of interest to the broader population.

Mike

Helf,

Good luck with the auction. If you want to boost the likelyness of the sale post a few pictures (let us know when you do heh) in the auction of it up and running if it works fine. The value and price of these systems is kinda weird so despite the lower specs of this one it'll still likely sell for a decent price (hopefully you'll get what you're looking for) but the more details and pics you can show of it running the better you'll be.

- John

Yeah, I posted a link to my flickr stream with more photos. I guess I should have made it an active link :) I meant to take some photos of it running, I'll take some tonight and upload them.

OK, just added a video of the machine booting up and running to the auction :)

A little ebay trick I learned recently. If your box doesn' sell use a fixed price listing format with best offer option. I have sold a few rare cards that way. Shot for the moon and still got an offer in the stratosphere. I have sold a few bocaram cards that went for 40+ on best offer where they bring 10-15 in the auction stream

Neat piece by the way. I am going to be building my own shortly with some blue paint, repop stickers and a badass compaq desktop case from the 90's

-Lance

From the auction:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/helfer/sets/72157621937392496/

Pretty cool looking machine. I like the CPU meters built into the front of the case.

What exactly is a "geek" port?

The Geek Port was one of the most interesting parts of the BeBox. You could think of it as a parallel port on steroids, sort of. It was a general purpose IO port that provided:

• 16 general purpose TTL level I/O lines in two 8-bit banks (configurable as 16 inputs, 8 inputs / 8 outputs, or 16 outputs)
  • four 8-bit D/A lines
  • four 8-bit A/D lines
  • one +12 V line
  • one -12 V line
  • two +5 V lines
  • 7 ground lines

The BeOS included libraries for accessing the geek port. It was used in a couple of commercial products, but it never caught on outside the BeBox world. Too bad! It was really a nice touch.

Back