• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pet drive compatibility

Panther

I've got an 8096-SK with an 8050 disk drive.

I've been trying to get d64 images from the PC to the Pet without much luck :(

Currently looking at either a c2n232 link (if I can get one !) or using a 1541 drive and XE1541 cable, but can a 1541 drive write in a format that can be read with an 8050 drive ?

A friend of mine transferred some files from PC to 1541 using a Catweasel card, but my Pet won't read them :(

Any suggestions ?

So far I've been able to get 2 programs from the PC to tape, and load them that way, but as they were machine code it wasn't then possible to resave them onto disk !

So far I've been able to get 2 programs from the PC to tape, and load them that way, but as they were machine code it wasn't then possible to resave them onto disk !

Here is some info from zimmer's site about saving machine code using the built-in monitor program. Check out the .S command. Note that the dot '.' is the monitor prompt. In your case to save a program for example in $7000 to $7FFF RAM to the disk drive 0, use
.S "0:nameofprogram",8,7000,8000

HOW DO I ACCESS THE PET's M/L MONITOR?

The 'Terminal Interface Monitor' (known as TIM to some tinymon to others.)
is available on all PETs but the original ROM version (which Commodore
offered to users on tape later on). TIM is activated by executing a BRK
instruction by SYSing any memory location containing a zero (0), most people
enter SYS 1024, as it almost always contains a 0.

WHAT ARE THE COMMANDS FOR THE M/L MONITOR?

G - Execute M/L: G programaddress (i.e. G 033C)
L - Load: L "filename",dev (i.e. L "PACMAN",08)
S - Save: S "filename",dev,startaddress,endaddress
(i.e. S "FLASH ATTACK",02,027A,2000)
R - Display Processor Registers
X - Exit Tiny Mon
M - Memory Display: M startaddress endaddress (i.e. M 0400 04A0)
: - Modify Memory (supplied in memory dumps using the M command)
; - Modify Processor Registers (supplied in the processor register, P command)

Last edited:
I've got an 8096-SK with an 8050 disk drive.

I've been trying to get d64 images from the PC to the Pet without much luck :(

Currently looking at either a c2n232 link (if I can get one !) or using a 1541 drive and XE1541 cable, but can a 1541 drive write in a format that can be read with an 8050 drive ?
<snip>
---
Afraid not, although I suppose you could use the tape ports. Anybody ever try that? Connect the tape ports together and use something like Unicopy on both machines to go from the 1541 to the 8050?

There are several other PC<>PET options; I haven't actually tried any myself but there are several folks on here that can tell you about them.

Carlsson? Steve G?

m

You're not going to be able to run many D64 images on your system, even if you can port to 8050 format because they're disk images for the c64 esp. VIC and SID chips.

You have a powerful business computer (compared to the c64). Try finding PET 8032 programs instead. Those should run out of the box. Not much other than accounting, database, and word processing though...

Bill

You're not going to be able to run many D64 images on your system, even if you can port to 8050 format because they're disk images for the c64 esp. VIC and SID chips.

You have a powerful business computer (compared to the c64). Try finding PET 8032 programs instead. Those should run out of the box. Not much other than accounting, database, and word processing though...

Bill
---
Well, it's not quite that bad; there's software to emulate a 40 column PET and if you're handy you could even modify the hardware to let it be either, so you can use a lot of the 40 column software if it doesn't have machine-specific code in it.

Unfortunately there's not much software that takes advantage of the extra 64K.

Last edited:
I've had good results pumping images over using cbmlink and a PC64 cable. I don't think you can send D64 images as-is, D80 is what you need. There are tools for reading writing the different formats but I've also used VICE with two different disk drives attached to copy stuff over. There's an old thread with some details.

I've had good results pumping images over using cbmlink and a PC64 cable. I don't think you can send D64 images as-is, D80 is what you need. There are tools for reading writing the different formats but I've also used VICE with two different disk drives attached to copy stuff over. There's an old thread with some details.
----
Yeah, I remember that interesting thread...

Torsten's situation with a C64/1541 and no disk drive on his 8032 first got me thinking about this wacky idea of using a C64 as a 'file server' over the cassette ports using Unicopy; seems to me that would avoid the base address problems with using 'real' cassettes. I'll have to try that some day with some 'real' 1541 disks I have that I'd like to load into a 2001 or 4032.

But there are definitely better ways. I do want to archive some of my PET tape and disk collection some day; sounds like cbmlink is the way to go unless someone has a better idea?

mike

I do want to archive some of my PET tape and disk collection some day; sounds like cbmlink is the way to go unless someone has a better idea?
cbmlink is great for disks in my experience, although if you're imaging a lot it's worth experimenting with interleaving. It took 15 minutes to write one single-sided image the first time!

Not sure whether it does tapes though, although you of course always have the tape -> disk -> cbmlink option. You might be able to cut out the middle man, as it were, if any of the emulators are able to read real tapes through a sound card. Maybe the likes of audiotap can do straight WAV to PRG or whatever, but I've never tried it.

Bill

All the d64 images I obtained were from a PET software archive off the internet :confused:

Sounds like I'm a bit stuffed then :sad:

Bill

A D64 image is simply a container. It is not C64-specific. Many PETs used 2040,4040 or 2031 drives which have the same, or similar enough, format to the 1541. Those disks CAN be made into D64 on a 1541. I made D64's of my old PET games from school in the early 80's.

It is true that the 8xxx series machines typically had 8050 or 8250 drives as they were more business oriented... 80 column, extra storage capacity.

Steve

Back