• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pentium 1-era hardware

kishy

Veteran Member
I'm removing the content of this post because I have a list of all hardware I have available on my website.

It would be a disservice and inconvenience to members of these forums if I have only semi-accurate listings here. As a result I encourage you to please visit my website to see what I've got. You're more than welcome to discuss the sale via PM here.

Although the content of the following replies will remain the same this same idea applies - the information will probably become out of date eventually if it isn't already.

Last edited:
Who are you shipping with? Your shipping prices to Rhode Island sound too high. I find the rates with USPS Parcel Post are much better.

The USPS small flat-rate priority mail box will easily hold a 3.5" disk drive and is about $5 (less if you use Click 'n' Ship). Standard flat-rate boxes will fit most motherboards and are about $10.

Who are you shipping with? Your shipping prices to Rhode Island sound too high. I find the rates with USPS Parcel Post are much better.

Canada Post
I'll assume you missed the fact I'm in a completely different country than Rhode Island is in lol

The USPS small flat-rate priority mail box will easily hold a 3.5" disk drive and is about $5 (less if you use Click 'n' Ship). Standard flat-rate boxes will fit most motherboards and are about $10.

Be that as it may, I always ship with "the cheapest shipping option there is"...out of Canada, Expedited Parcel USA is usually that option. Again the Canada thing comes into play here.

Perhaps a dumb question, but, wouldn't the fact that he's in Canada make shipping via USPS a little difficult?

Ditto (quite obviously)

Agreed--now if he were in China, shipping to the US would be a bargain... :)

I've always wondered how they do that...I've bought many the ebay item for a dollar or less with free shipping. That seems like a big loss operation to me.

I've always wondered how they do that...I've bought many the ebay item for a dollar or less with free shipping. That seems like a big loss operation to me.

I asked my local postmaster about that after receiving one of those less-than-$1-with-free-shipping items from China. He said that rates were set by what amounts to treaty under the umbrella of the Universal Postal Union. They coordinate rates and also handle the IRC program. Because countries are allowed to set their own rates within their borders, but the UPU dictates rates internationally, it can be cheaper (and probably is) to send a letter from Beijing to New York than it is to send one from Hackensack.

Historical sidelight: The term "Ponzi Scheme" was built on IRC disparity after the first World War by one Charles Ponzi. An IRC always has been redeemable for first-class letter postage in any country. Ponzi pitched to investors that he could purchase IRCs cheap in, say, Italy and redeem them in the US for stamps at a profit.

Too many people didn't think the practical aspects of this through and lost their money when his pyramid investment scheme collapsed.

But IRCs are still with us and the basic idea is still sound, if not impractical.

Perhaps a dumb question, but, wouldn't the fact that he's in Canada make shipping via USPS a little difficult?
Not at all! Most Canadians live near the border and Ontario, like most provinces, borders on the US. Driving across the border to use the USPS is a very common thing to do especially for business use. I've done it myself when I lived in Vancouver. A 40 minute drive, or less, each way is a small price to pay on large mailouts and can save a lot of money. Many Canadians live even closer to a US post office and the effort is trivial.

Please note the drops/eliminations of prices - I have a big load of faulty/useless stuff going to the recycler and am including a lot of stuff that would otherwise be "inventory". I don't have the space to run an "ultra low customership store" so please help me out and take some stuff!

If you're in the states your shipment has insurance by default, I couldn't try to send it to you without it if I wanted to, so don't make this a "I don't trust Canada Post" thing please.

Shipping from China to the US is cheap because of the volume of stuff that comes here, and because the Chinese government manipulates its currency and shipping charges.

I get the feeling that goods coming out of China are close to or under what it costs to make them just so they put everyone else out of business and own the market.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1442/socket7.jpg

Lol, I have that board on the upper right I think. It's currently holding my K6-2.

Funny thing about these is how many there are...it's amazing to think all the countries (and brands!) the boards were sold in, especially PC Chips products.

Yours has a Houston Tech realtime clock module next to the power connectors? If so it's probably a pretty close match. Though I didn't think any of these boards could do 2.2V, lowest on any was 2.5, which is why I wasn't able to use my K6-2 450 in them. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Back