• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"new posts" reset every time I logout

tingo

Veteran Member
Hi,
Every time I logout, the "new post" indicator (both for forums and threads) are reset, whenter I have read the posts or not.
This is quite annoying (afraid to miss anything? Who? Me?).
Does anyone else see this?
Is there something I can do about it?

Also, can I set the "autologout" limit somewhere?

Hi,
Every time I logout, the "new post" indicator (both for forums and threads) are reset, whenter I have read the posts or not.

You're not the first to comment on that. Sometimes it even resets hours after you have logged out too...

I have an even more maddening issue where I have to view every unread post twice to make it go away.

Additionally, it marks my own posts as being unread. Drives me up the wall.

I haven't yet found a way to read these forums while logged in because the list of today's posts becomes unavailable! :confused: What I do is only log in to post, and then log right back out so I can read other posts. The only disadvantage is that the software gets confused about the ones that I've read, making the bizarre assumption that I've read everything. However, that is not souch a big deal as it is only a matter of bolding in the list. All the posts are still there in their original order.

Well....but...can't this be fixed?
It is like with computers (old and new) - I don't like it when tehy are broken, I always try to fix them.

That's an issue with your browser and with the cookie settings on it.

I use IE 7 and Firefox 3.0/3.5 and have never had those problems. If you tweaked your cookie settings or if your AV software messes with the cookies used by the forum you'll have issues like those.

RJ

That's an issue with your browser and with the cookie settings on it.
Unfortunately, no, I don't think so.
I use quite a few forums (of various types) and this is the only one which have the problem.
I know about cache and cookie settings, and have it setup correctly.

I use IE 7 and Firefox 3.0/3.5 and have never had those problems. If you tweaked your cookie settings or if your AV software messes with the cookies used by the forum you'll have issues like those.
Do you have "remember me?" selected? (I don't)
I run Firefox (currently 3.0.14 and 3.5) on Ubuntu (and FreeBSD). No AV software here.

I choose the "remember me" for the forum... but I had hell trying to get this forum working right in Firefox until I cleared the cookies. It wouldn't remember me and it wouldn't keep track of posts read/unread properly until I did it.

I never have my browser remember ID/passwords. Too risky.

I choose the "remember me" for the forum... but I had hell trying to get this forum working right in Firefox until I cleared the cookies. It wouldn't remember me and it wouldn't keep track of posts read/unread properly until I did it.
Well, now you confirm that there is a problem with this forum. :)

I never have my browser remember ID/passwords. Too risky.
Agreed.

Hi,

Reset as in all threads are marked read or all are marked unread?

If it's the former that's the way the forums are designed. If it's the latter then something is wrong, but not something I've ever seen before. . .

Reset as in all threads are marked read or all are marked unread? . . .
In my case all threads are marked read after I log out. I don't see the usefulness of that default, but it's not a big deal because all the posts are still listed. I am using FF3.0.

Another forum I frequent eliminates the listing of all posts which you have clicked on (assumed as read) and they can only be found again by going through all the sub-forums or searching. VCF is much easier to navigate! :)

Reset as in all threads are marked read or all are marked unread?

If it's the former that's the way the forums are designed. If it's the latter then something is wrong, but not something I've ever seen before. . .

All threads marked read.
Designed that way? I question that design choice.
Very often I don't have the time to read all the threads in all the forums. I find it quite annoying that the forum software marks all threads as read when I log out.

@tingo:
I have a feeling that most forum software is designed to scale upwards but not down. You and I seem to have the same problem in that we like to read all, or most, of the postings. This is easy on low traffic sites like this one. If there were thousands of posts per day then we would have to change our approach. Actually we a lucky on this site that it is possible to view posts that we have already been made aware of. That is not possible in some other forum packages. SMF (forum software) for example, does not even have a workable list of recent posts!

Although it is incomprehensible to me, and perhaps you, I think that some people actually enter the forums at a lower point than at the top. To my point of view, the general logic of lists is not well understood or standardized. Perhaps we should translate the vocabulary to something like tree structure and mount point. :)

So I'm not the only one getting annoyed by this "feature" then. And, yes, it's the only forum I am on where this is an issue - and I don't log out by the way.

As soon as I have VISITED the forum ALL forums are marked as "read" (for example when I've had to reload my browser and there's a page open) and won't show up when I do a search for new posts, so it is impossible to keep up unless I am on every day and click on the "posts made in the past 24 hours" link.

If I'm not on here for more than 1 day I've also missed any posts made up to this 24 hour period. :mad:

Firefox 3.5 and cookies set as per the other forums I'm on. Same with IE6/7/8.

BG

Back