• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM MIDI Interface ?

leaknoil

Experienced Member
What is this from ? Its built like a tank and has no label or marking on it other then what you see on top. Its a standard DB9M on the cable end and has your normal MIDI ports as well.

This thing is pretty heavy duty for a typical consumer MIDI adapter and why a DB9M ?

midi.jpg

That is a MIDI connector box for the Yamaha-manufactured, "IBM PC Music Feature Card."

imfc_s.jpg

Ahh there you go. Nice catch. From what I read its a Yamaha FB-01 on a card. The FB01 was terrible. I bet the card wasn't much better. Probably even worse.

The FB01 was terrible. I bet the card wasn't much better. Probably even worse.

I disagree. They're both very capable, despite the "weak" first impression. Back when the FB-01 and IMFC were released, outboard effects were still the norm. Throw a bit of reverb at the output, and - BAM! - you've just made a huge difference in the overall sound:

Unprocessed, raw output

With a reverb effects-loop

Sure at the price point. There wasn't anything else that cheap when the FB-01 came out. In a FX synth anyway. I remember playing with it at Guitar Center when it came out.

I don't think I have heard anyone call it good. It was just a lot cheaper then anything else. Its like a hardware crippled DX7. The form factor was totally annoying too. It is totally thin and cheesy sounding. If you like the preset horns on the DX7 then you may like it otherwise phhht...

Sure at the price point. There wasn't anything else that cheap when the FB-01 came out. In a FX synth anyway. I remember playing with it at Guitar Center when it came out.

I don't think I have heard anyone call it good. It was just a lot cheaper then anything else. Its like a hardware crippled DX7. The form factor was totally annoying too. It is totally thin and cheesy sounding. If you like the preset horns on the DX7 then you may like it otherwise phhht...

Well the DX7 and FB-01 have different sound qualities there is no way to get the deep bass from a FB-01 on a DX7 that is fact many *GOOD* funksongs use double octave on FB-01 to get that pulsing superfunk vibe.

DX7 was multitimbral in quite different way, but i can not say it was more useful the Rolands and Korg synths did better work but they could not either sound like FB-01 that deep bass actually quite unique. Very good mix with a D50 or Kawai K1 K3

JT

Back