• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Booting 8086-based PS/2 Model 30 via ISA slot

SimonA

Hi there

I recently managed to resurrect my 8086-based IBM 8530 -- PS/2 Model 30 (8530-021) – see thread entitled ‘PS/2 Model 30 versus XT power supply’.

The power-supply had failed, but I was able to fire up the system using an ATX power supply with an AT adapter, making sure that pin 2 on the ‘equivalent of the P8 connector’ was grounded .

For some reason the system’s 720-kb floppy drive isn’t working -- well it won't read the start-up disk and 'boots' into IBM basic only. And the original hard disk was removed years ago. So while it powers up I can’t boot into DOS.

Now that I have a power supply (sitting externally at the moment) that could be used to power other components I was wondering whether it would be possible to boot a floppy drive via a floppy controller card (with on-board firmware) in one of the ISA slots?

In addition, which other 8-bit cards would be compatible with this system?

Simon

Probably not; the original floppy controller logic is still using the resources (I/O address, DMA and IRQ). Better to figure out what's wrong with floppy you've got.

...For some reason the system’s 720-kb floppy drive isn’t working -- well it won't read the start-up disk and 'boots' into IBM basic only. And the original hard disk was removed years ago. So while it powers up I can’t boot into DOS.

Now that I have a power supply (sitting externally at the moment) that could be used to power other components I was wondering whether it would be possible to boot a floppy drive via a floppy controller card (with on-board firmware) in one of the ISA slots?

In addition, which other 8-bit cards would be compatible with this system?...

What happens on the drive when it boots? There may be other 720Kb drives available if yours is dead. It is even possible to upgrade the Model 30 to a particular 1.44Mb drive.

Putting another floppy controller on there probably won´t work. The planar controller would stay active. On the Model 30 there was an option to have a 360Kb external diskette drive - the 4869-001 - as the B: drive, when you had a proprietary 8-bit adapter that took the B: cable connection externally, with a ROM extension.

What happens on the drive when it boots? There may be other 720Kb drives available if yours is dead. It is even possible to upgrade the Model 30 to a particular 1.44Mb drive.

Putting another floppy controller on there probably won´t work. The planar controller would stay active. On the Model 30 there was an option to have a 360Kb external diskette drive - the 4869-001 - as the B: drive, when you had a proprietary 8-bit adapter that took the B: cable connection externally, with a ROM extension.

This is excellent news! I don't have immediate access to the PS/2 system for a few days, but once I do I will attempt another boot and log the symptoms and let you know.

In the meanwhile though I'd very much like to investigate the possibility of the 1.44-Mb upgrade you mention. What is needed? Could you let me know what I would need to purchase? Are these drives still relatively easy to obtain?

All the best

Simon

...In the meanwhile though I'd very much like to investigate the possibility of the 1.44-Mb upgrade you mention. What is needed? Could you let me know what I would need to purchase? Are these drives still relatively easy to obtain?..

A Sony brand 1.44Mb floppy drive sometimes found on PS/2 Model 60 or 80s will upgrade it. The Model 30 was more picky than the Model 25 for drives, and I only found that particular drive to work. Probably an easier find is going to be another 720Kb drive.

A Sony brand 1.44Mb floppy drive sometimes found on PS/2 Model 60 or 80s will upgrade it. The Model 30 was more picky than the Model 25 for drives, and I only found that particular drive to work. Probably an easier find is going to be another 720Kb drive.

Excellent; Thanks for your help!
Would you by any chance have/know the IBM manufacturer's code to help me find one on the Web?

All the best

Simon

Back