• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for Pentium Overdrive

offensive_Jerk

Veteran Member
I would like to obtain a Pentium Overdrive 200mhz PODPMT66X200 if possible. I believe this chip is a socket 7. I would like to replace the P133 in my Gateway board.

Let me know if you have anything suitable and how much you want.

That is a Pentium Overdrive MMX. From Wikipedia:

BOXPODPMT66X200: up to 200 MHz on 66 MHz bus (clock multiplier of 3.0)
BOXPODPMT66X166: up to 166 MHz on 66 MHz bus (clock multiplier of 2.5)
PODPMT60X180: up to 180 MHz on 60 MHz bus (clock multiplier of 3.0)
PODPMT60X150: up to 150 MHz on 60 MHz bus (clock multiplier of 2.5)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Overdrive#Pentium_sockets

If you Google it, you'll find it for sale on all sorts of "discontinued stuff" (the kind that you have to request a price quote from) sites, but I think much more expensive than you would get it from a forum user.

I believe it can. I'm pretty sure it's a socket 7 which should support the normal MMX chips. The thing is I would like something more interesting than a normal boring Pentium.

I have a 486 upgrade Pentium Overdrive in my socket 3 system and I am thinking this may compliment the other system nicely.

But, I doubt I will be able to find an Overdrive, so may have to setting with the fastest socket 7 Pentium I can find.

I believe it can. I'm pretty sure it's a socket 7 which should support the normal MMX chips. The thing is I would like something more interesting than a normal boring Pentium.

I have a 486 upgrade Pentium Overdrive in my socket 3 system and I am thinking this may compliment the other system nicely.

But, I doubt I will be able to find an Overdrive, so may have to setting with the fastest socket 7 Pentium I can find.

No idea where it is but I believe I have an Overdrive...probably a 66 though. Could be ages before I see that thing again though.
Point being if you wanted one just for kicks...yeah. It certainly wouldn't be a Skt 7.

Well, the MMX Overdrive chips are just normal MMX chips with a voltage regulator added on, so they can work on Socket 5 boards without frying. There's nothing really special about 'em, unlike the ones designed to work with 486 boards and whatnot.

I figured they are not much different from the MMX series. I just think they are kind of neat. They are big (due to the regulator) and I like the fan on them too.

I'm not concerned about performance on a P1 system, just shooting this out there incase someone has one.

I am also open to whatever the fastest socket 7 Pentium is, I think a 233mhz.

I figured they are not much different from the MMX series. I just think they are kind of neat. They are big (due to the regulator) and I like the fan on them too.

I'm not concerned about performance on a P1 system, just shooting this out there incase someone has one.

I am also open to whatever the fastest socket 7 Pentium is, I think a 233mhz.

I believe you're right, the fastest P MMX was 233.

No interest in a K6-2? MHz-for-MHz they perform better. I might have one of those a bit more accessible, 266 (4x66)

I wouldn't put great hope in getting anything other than an Intel CPU to work in that board. The Intel-made boards are not known for great support of 3rd party CPUs, nor are many OEM boards... and what he has is a Intel-made Gateway board.

I wouldn't put great hope in getting anything other than an Intel CPU to work in that board. The Intel-made boards are not known for great support of 3rd party CPUs, nor are many OEM boards... and what he has is a Intel-made Gateway board.

I believe you are correct.

The fastest non-MMX Pentium is 200 MHz; the fastest (Socket 7) Intel chip is the Pentium MMX 233 MHz. (They made mobile Pentium MMX chips up to 300 MHz.)

I'll have to look at my stack of chips, I may have a second MMX 233 lying around unused.

(And if you have an Intel-manufactured 430TX board, it will take the MMX 233.)

The fastest non-MMX Pentium is 200 MHz; the fastest (Socket 7) Intel chip is the Pentium MMX 233 MHz. (They made mobile Pentium MMX chips up to 300 MHz.)

I'll have to look at my stack of chips, I may have a second MMX 233 lying around unused.

(And if you have an Intel-manufactured 430TX board, it will take the MMX 233.)

I believe it's Intel manufactured for Gateway. Can't find any cpu specs but hoping it takes a 233.

You'd better check to see if your motherboard is socket5 or socket7. It will make quite a big difference in terms of what you can upgrade to. I believe P133 was the last Pentium for the Socket5 platform. The only real difference between the socket5 and socket7 platform is how much current is supplied to the CPU. From what I've read, the fastest CPU you can use on a socket5 motherboard (without a fancy adapter) is the Intel Pentium MMX 166 Overdrive.

A few companies made adapters to get around this problem. I think Powerleap made one of the better ones. Their modules included a circuit that allowed you to feed the CPU more current from a standard molex power connector. Using one of these adapters, you could in theory go all the way up to a K6-2+ at 400Mhz (assuming your BIOS didn't freak out).

So just in case I didn't make it clear enough, don't try a 200 or 233 Intel overdrive in your Socket5 board, because it won't be able to supply them with enough current and you'll end up with an unstable system.

Back