• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got a Performa 638CD need a ethernet card for it

Yeah, I need to get some more CD-Rs, I tried one and it worked.

Are there any built in screensavers on the Performas, or do I need to download a program for it?

Quick update. I got CD's for this thing and another iMac to format the 8gb harddrive on. Those USB-IDE things are priceless, my "new" iMac picked it up right away and asked me if I wanted to initialize it.

The CD is indeed SCSI so a buner for it is out for now. I had to leave it to format since it was going to take about 4 hours by 8pm, so it will be waiting for me tomorrow. My friend Alex came by and let me image his upgrade CD's, so I'll be able to make disks from the images I made that include the upgrade.

The more I get to know, the more I like it. Never had this much exposure (I was sure missing out) so I'm really learning a lot!

I'll have to get back to you on the screensaver, Tupin, it's in pieces now and didn't think to look when it was all together.

If you like the performa 638 then you should try some high end 68k macs like a Quadra 800/950/840av or some PPC PCI powermacs like the 8500/9500/9600.

I had one once, but was working so much never got a chance to play with it. I forget what it was, but it was a powerpc based machine. I miss it. This one is nice with a TV tuner in it-- it really will be getting double-duty as an entertainment system. Which leads me to this:

Was there ever any kind of AV cable adapter or box to use a larger tv set with the Mac video port? I like it's clear screen, but having it as an entertainment system is too much allure to resist! I still want the remote for this thing. Looking into a Sony replacement.

Speaking of AV inputs, anyone know why my video output has a gray tint to it?

Getting a modem today, should be browsing the Internet on my Performa soon. :D

Speaking of AV inputs, anyone know why my video output has a gray tint to it?

Getting a modem today, should be browsing the Internet on my Performa soon. :D
You mentioned it has gray in it in an earlier post, and still haven't used the AV connectors to compare.

Aw, if you needed a modem I had this one, since I have ethernet I'm never gonna use it, you could have had it for shipping if I had known to offer it. It's all good -- internet is internet, dial up still works. I ought to be able to post from it in a little bit, once I get the OS reinstalled on the new hdd.

I wish there was room for two hdd's in there, I would run the large one as a slave to the small one, called it a day.

My 638 is not cooperating, or I don't know what happening. Most likely the latter.

I formatted it in an iMac, and it was reading on there as an initialised disk, but the Performa will not initialize it. I guess I'll not be posting from it today :( Or even booting it up for that matter.

Tupin, I'm not even at that point yet, I have to get this thing to run first. Very interested in the results, though.

Power Talk? I just need something that will allow the Performa to use TCP/IP networks, and Open Transport's not working for me, all the downloads give me errors.

Power Talk doesn't appear to be related to the Internet at all, I'm going to ask over at Apple's forum and see if they can help me with Open Transport.

I've read that what is needed is the Network Access Disk, and these .bin files give me a major headache. So far they are all in .bin format and I'm not sure how to deal with them. Maybe it's just late and I'm, tired.

I have to be careful-- there's nop way to have a shop and not have the people who want to dump stuff on you, and then it gets crowded and it's against the Vintage Code (or whatever) to toss something that might have use in the next 10 years or more.

Not a warzone yet, but maybe a minefield :D

Quick update. The new larger hdd is not working out, it's not formatting with the setup cd. I'll remedy this later when I have my own Apple ibook up to speed but for now it will stay with the original hdd. I'll be putting that back in today, and try to get on the network again.

/edit It's a little later in the day, I tried this 2gb hdd and the system is telling me (running from the install CD) that there is no harddrive installed. Also seem to have misplaced the original hdd, so having lots of fun. Back on the back burner.

Last edited:
Is it an Apple stickered Hard drive? If not, you need a patched version of HD Setup ( I think thats what its called). There's even a utility to patch the file floating around on the net.

Is it an Apple stickered Hard drive? If not, you need a patched version of HD Setup ( I think thats what its called). There's even a utility to patch the file floating around on the net.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into this when I next look at it. It is not an Apple stickered drive, it came from a PC. Thanks!

I thought he was using a SCSI hd. His machine can use both however. I'm going to run my Performa 6400 on SCSI only because from what I hear the IDE on them didn't have DMA.

Back