• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What BBSes did you run back in the day?

Securix

Experienced Member
I started calling BBSes in August 1984, but I've been a sysop ever since I unboxed my first C64 back in 1986.

Between 1986 and 1987 I ran a 6485 Exchange and then C-Net 64 BBS called Cyberborea, which was a triumverate of BBSes that I ran with my friends, that also included Hyperborea and Hydroborea (yes we were T-Dream fans).

Later around 1990, I ran AudioNet BBS on a clone IBM PC I built that ran TriBBS with a D'Bridge Fido frontend. It was focused on stereos, car audio, and music production.

After that, around 1992 my friends and I ran Dreamline BBS, and later in 1994, Afterimage BBS, both on Galacticomm MajorBBS. Afterimage was a major chat/social board, which turned into an ISP called Novasys back in 1995 which turned into Paracom in 1997, which I finally gave up on as a business concern sometime in 2001 or 2002.

Currently, one of my friends with whom I ran Dreamline, is running a retro-BBS called The Yird (telnet bbs.theyird.com) and I'm considering putting up a retro BBS as well.

So did you run a BBS back in the day and what hardware/software did it run?

Thanks. I always love reading about the various BBS "experiences" people had in the 80's and 90's, I get pretty nostalgic when it comes to BBSing.

Figured there would be some old threads around, but rather than keep them alive, figured I'd start a fresh one for the recently joined folks (like me).

Forgot to mention, I appeared (very briefly) in Jason Scott's BBS Documentary movie (as Epsilon Process). I had a lot to say about the multi-line chat BBS's (and their soap opera drama) that I was involved in, about the artscene, and about early/mid 80's BBSing days and phreaking, and basically a ton of other stuff that ended up not being used.

Ah well...

BBSing was a huge part of my life, and basically what got me into telecom, networking, Unix, etc...

lol Good reminiscing Ahm. but I won't let you kill this thread quite yet ;-) (kidding). My BBS were mentioned in the second thread. The hardware while not nearly as interesting was a Packard Bell 486 with a 500MB drive and probably 16MB of RAM.

It was fun seeing and knowing some other SysOps though. Similarly to Erik's board a person I met at the time which was really cool let me come check out his setup for the Central Texas PC User Group ("The HUB") BBS and he ran Maximus on OS/2 with a multi-line connection. I guess the phone company had the numbers set up in a call chain or he had something set up to route them I can't remember which (there was only one number for the board but several nodes).. and I recall the old trick "DON'T TELL THEM IT'S A COMPUTER LINE!!" lol. Phone company would charge ya double for nothing, not like we paid by the minute or anything so tell them it's a children line and you'll save some big bucks.

I still love Renegade bbs although I could break out of it locally with ctrl+c so I was too scared to put it up lol, but VBBS, RBBS, Maximus, PC-Board, even WWIV were all fun in their own ways.

I remember setting WWIV up with Beavis and Butthead menus (send mail was "Blow Chunks", read mail was "Swallow Chunks" or something) problem was once I set it to that I had a hell of a time figure out which option was settings again :)

Anyway you're not alone in the memories or desire to see it again. I wasted unknown amounts of time as a youngin playing TradeWars, Usurper, BRE, etc.

Why did you shut it down? Just curious.

The short summary is, the BBS eventually became a fairly large ISP. We ran it for several years as an ISP, but when that failed, I moved it to my house again. We eventually tried to use it as the basis of a web hosting service, but after years of that not taking off either, we just called it quits.

Now here's the Wikipedia-like summary.

I shut down AudioNet to run Dreamline. Dreamline had its origins in a BBS called The Light Source, which ran on one of the very first Falken BBS releases. It was decent software, but all of the hardware and software support was in Galacticomm and MajorBBS. We also considered TBBS, Oracomm, and even Coconet and DLX, but one of our friends already had experience in setting up MajorBBS, so we went with that.

We originally ran Dreamline from my friend's house on 4, then 8, then 16 lines. But I had more room so we eventually moved it to my house. We dedicated one line to Interlink teleconferencing, and at one point we had about 5 or 6 BBSes linked up. The problem was we disagreed on our "business" objectives. My friend wanted to run an adult site with adult downloads. Our other friend wanted to run an "online service" with Internet connectivity, online shopping, and lots of online games, etc (this was back in 1992), and I wanted to run an all-ages chat/social system with Internet services. Toward the end of 1993 we had a huge argument and decided to just forget it, and each of us planned to sell off our "share" of what each of us bought...it was purely a business decision and we've stayed friends.

In the end, I "bought out" all the hardware and software from my other two friends and in February 1994 started Afterimage BBS.

FYI, the names were intended double-entendres...Dreamline was a cool-sounding name for a BBS, which was taken from the title of a Rush song. Afterimage, also a Rush song, was an appropriate name for the "afterimage" of what used to be Dreamline BBS.

The system was back in my house and eventually got back up to 12 lines. I wasn't really making any money on it, but we'd have huge gatherings, parties, outings, etc, and it was a lot of fun...but with it came lots of drama between users and groups of users. I heard the BBS was responsible for precipitating at least one or two marriages over the years of its existence.

In 1995, a music recording studio owner I worked with saw the music thing as a major selling point. IUMA had already gotten pretty big on the net, but we wanted to improve on this. We became business partners and moved the system to a loft in the music studio and added a 56K dedicated line from UUNET which cost something like $1000/mo back then. A year later, the owner decided to sell the studio and do this full time, so we moved again and went on to become one of the first ISP's in our area, eventually running something like 42 phone lines all on 28.8 modems.

The Afterimage BBS kept running, and was basically a support BBS, and a social BBS as well. Some of our users were dedicated to us, but many others frequented other local chat boards - The Jungle, The Club, Cyberwarrior, Chat Chalet, and High Watermark were some of the others. MP3's were just starting to be popular and would have been perfect timing for the music side of the service, which we called Musiconnect.

Unfortunately, our expenses got out of hand, my business partner decided to get involved with a group of people building a brand new recording studio and left the day to day operations of the service. I was also holding a full-time job, which made it impossible to do any kind of support or maintenance and we couldn't afford to hire anyone full time. We had a few people volunteering to admin the various systems, but things just fell apart at the end of 1996. Our lease expired at the end of the year, and we just decided to close shop and move out.

In May 1997, I decided to put the BBS back up at home for fun and also re-connected 8 of the original phone lines and a 256K Internet line. I had some returning local customers who decided to come back. I offered the BBS, in addition to email and Linux shell access. About a year later, my cousin and I decided to split some office space where we could house a small hosting operation. Later, one of my friends originally involved in the Dreamline BBS also wanted to host some machines, so we started another small venture called Netspectations. We ended up moving this venture two or three times as well to different small office locations.

I ran Afterimage BBS on and off probably until about mid 2005. There'd be some of my original users checking in every so often, but the recent user list was mostly empty day in and day out, with the bulk of the callers (including myself) now using AOL Instant Messenger.

In 2006 I gave up the whole notion of trying to run a hosting or ISP operation although I still have some servers at home on the net, and I run www.prog.fm (a prog rock radio station). I might still have the BBS hard drive around somewhere, but the bulk of everything else ended up boxed up and shipped to a self-storage facility where it sits today along with lots of other vintage gear waiting to be restored and returned to its former glory.

I'm actually considering another small office space to move the vintage computers into so I can actually set them up and run them without tripping over cables and boxes of stuff that my cats like to sleep on. So we'll see how that goes...

I co-ran "Terminal Velocity" (later "Nuclear Danger" after a component meltdown,) which was hosted at my high school. I also helped a friend run "Abort, Retry, or Fail?"

I also ran a small one out of my house for a while, but it was never even remotely popular, and I can't even remember what it was called!

And, I just found the old text listing of BBSes in Portland from back when I was active! pdxbbs, August 1993 edition. (This would have been before I started my own, and before my school BBS got renamed.)

Ran a BBS for product support for a few years. RBBS, PCBoard, Saphhire and finally settled on Auntie, running on NT 4.0. Still have the drive somewhere in mothballs, all set and ready to go. Just boot it up on a machine and hook up the USR Dual Standards...and wait for a call... :(

From an old backup from 1989, I see that I regularly called PDSE, Chuck Forsberg's BBS, Bay Area BBS, PDS-SIG, UCLA PCUG, URS BBS, Ampro BBS, Milpitas FIDO, DC-to-Lite, Sigma Designs, Peregrine Systems, Marin Systems, Quantel, Neal's Physmatic, Kaypro BBS, Pacific Xchg, Atlanta PCUG, Northeastern Xchg, SPACE, Paladin, Atari BBS, Neal's Comm Center, East Bay Atari, Indianapolis PCUG, FOG, PRACSA, ProLog, True Hacker BBS, SIGSIG, Board Room II and Royal Oak BBS.

And this doesn't include the numbers I called when I was on a CP/M machine.

Back