• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy Model 100 LCD fix

cgrape2

Experienced Member
With the keyboard now fixed,I'm going to see if the LCD's problem can be fixed.
There is a line of "Dead" pixels(?)about 3/4 of the way across and about 1 1\2" tall from the bottom.
It might be fairly simple,like continuity testing.I'd rather not mess with it with my limited understanding and chance a complete failure of the LCD.But if it is fixable then I'd like to try.
Anyone dealt with a similar M100 with this problem?
Thanks in advance!
cgrape2

Apologies for not replying to your PM about this before now.

Unfortunately I don't think the LCD will be as easy to fix as the keyboard was, but you might ask on the Club100 mail list; worst case, I think Rick over there would be able to sell you a new one. Good luck!

mike

It's not that big a deal.I just wanted an opinion from a more knowledgeable person.
Your opinion is definitely that!
Thanks!
cgrape2\Doug

Dissassemble the M100, unplug the LCD screen, clean the contacts, reassemble it. My M100's screen was flakey (VERY much so), and this worked perfectly. Could also be a bend pin or missing pin on the LCD's ribbon cable.

Yep and it won't take 3 weeks for me to process the idea either.Yay!
cgrape2

Tried the cleaning idea.Didn't work.<sigh>

Last edited:
Yep and it won't take 3 weeks for me to process the idea either.Yay!
cgrape2

Tried the cleaning idea.Didn't work.<sigh>
Well, I guess the only option left for you is to get another LCD screen or mobo, I would try the listserv at club100.org for more technical information as to what ails your poor M100.

I have resurrected LCD screens by simply leaving them powered on for many hours, continually and slowly adjusting the contrast and brightness the whole time, say while watching a movie or working. Sometimes they just need to be exercised.. No harm trying.

Please explain.I'm challenged(ok I'm uninformed)by this concept.Capacitors do go bad,I get that,but how can a line of pixels in the LCD be affected?Is it a drop in power?
cgrape2:confused:

Smack me... it doesn't... that's if your LCD is totally dim.

If the 100 has the rubber/carbon strips for making contact with the LCD screen then disassemble and clean it all with pure alcohol and lint free cleaning cloth.

If it has the heat seal tape then you are hosed.

Please explain.I'm challenged(ok I'm uninformed)by this concept.Capacitors do go bad,I get that,but how can a line of pixels in the LCD be affected?Is it a drop in power?
cgrape2:confused:
He just said you can replace them; he didn't say that it would actually fix anything ;-)

Ok,I'll check and clean if I can.It's a line of pixels about 4 high in only one spot.So if I can't fix it,I'll just ignore it.
Thanks guys for the help.Sorry about any dumb questions.
cgrape2

Back