• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Never seen one of these ITT Xtra Computer

As the subject says I have never seen or heard of one of these computers.
I thought only Tandy used an 80186 in the Model 2000.

Good heavens, no. There was an in-between time when there was the 8086 and the 80286 hadn't yet been released.

The 80186 made sense, particularly if you were just going to run MS-DOS. Compatibility was an issue, but the integrated peripherals made for a much easier implementation.

I wrote the BIOS for one such machine, the Durango Poppy. Still have the source code.

The Poppy also had a socket for an 80286, so you could run Xenix using the 80186 as an I/O processor.

I actually have one of these...

With the bezel and drive...

In better shape...

The adapter blockout with mounting ears seems to be stock, I´ve got three in mine. I´m also inclined to believe the modem was a standard option. Mine has a common-as-dirt clone MDA, that I wouldn´t think is the same vintage.

The keyboard that isn´t included, also isn´t stock; I´ve got my original ITT version...

My Samsung SPC3000V (with a new-condition box with large picture) is much the same styling, but with a somewhat-ordinary 8088-1...

Many many years ago (When I was a kid) I had a similar system.

An ITT Xtra (XT clone) complete with monitor, manuals and keyboard. It had dual 360K floppy drives.

The monitor was an amber MDA monitor with the brightness control on the monitor foot.

I remember I used to poke around the DOS floppies that came with the machine, and also an ancient copy of DesqView that came with it.

If I recall correctly the monitor got its power from a proprietary plug, but I might be wrong on this one.

Where did the system go ? Well, I gave it to a flea market when I finally had enough money to buy a 486-33 system.

At the time I didn't realize that I would ever need such an old system again after getting a brand new 486. Let's just hope that it still lives in someones collection.

Attached is a picture of said system. (Ad photo ,I think)

Attachments

• itt_xtra.jpg
    itt_xtra.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3
See just goes to show how much I don't know. I guess the Model 2000 was just a little more well known to me. I wonder what the performance of the 80186 at 12 MHz would be next to a 12MHz 286 cpu? I imagine the 286 would be faster. :)

Well, I am the new (not so proud) owner of this pc. The seller posted quite wrong specs: it is really a 286/6mhz with only 8-bit slots... It does have some VERY cool features such as an extended bios which "creates" a video card over rs232/terminal emulation, an clcc socketed 286, plus more... If anyone is interested I can post my experiences as I get it setup.

I believe an 80186 would offer about 80-90% of the speed of an actual 286. I base this off my experience with the NEC V30, which was similar to the 80186 in terms of performance.

Any chance you could post a link to a picture, i think i have the same model programs report a 80186 at 10 Mhz the 8-bit ISA slots sit in a vertically mounted board.

My motherboard says XTRA mainboard assy 401452-011 REV
But on another place it says FAB 401452-(001)? REV 2A Madin Taiwan R.O.C

If you have a jumper scheme i would very much be interested.

Best regards JT

Based on your description, I don't think it is the same. My ISA slots are standardly mounted on the motherboard. I will post a few pics when I get home tonight. I would really love to get all of the jumper settings for the board... I have the manual and it list about 10 dip switch settings, but there are about 25 jumpers on the board that are not documented (at least in the manual that I have) - maybe there is another type of manual / technical reference???

Back