• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8-Bit IDE Controller

I'm not doing the work and it's not my business, but, why don't *we* buy the parts from a more serious supplier where you specify (and receive) precisely what you want?

I am completely open to that. Do you know of any in California? Preferably in the San Francisco Bay area?

the deal here is that lutiana has a wholesale dealer connection with them, so we can (hopefully) buy in bulk at a cheaper rate, plus since he's local, there's no shipping charges. Plus, since he's local, he can muscle them into giving us the parts that we want there on the spot. (hope he's been working out!)

Jameco is about a 45 min drive from my house, so I figured I could go there and pick the parts up and refuse them if they werent exactly what we wanted, I also figured that quantities might help motivate them a bit. Lastly since I hold a CA reseller certificate I was hoping to get them wholesale and save a little bit of money.

I am completely open to buying these from anywhere, I live pretty damn close to Silicon Valley (San Jose CA) that I am sure there are better places to get the stuff. I simply have no idea how to find such places, almost everywhere I find is online and only does mail order from out of state.

Hargle, when you send me the list, the data sheet would be helpful as I can tell them upfront that if they don't supply the exact parts I want then I will cancel the order and go somewhere else. I am used to hard bargaining and it won't be a bluff.

Do you mean revision 'B' (28C64B)? That's the one with software-protection.

Mouser has that part for about $3.00 if we get 100, and they are in California (Southern, so they would have to be shipped to me).

I can investigate a further discount if I buy it wholesale.

Hi! I am adding the mounting holes to the XT-IDE PCB. The Keystone 9202 bracket. According to the datasheet the bracket uses 4-40 machine screws. The holes on the PCB will be 120 mil diameter which should be plenty large enough for a 4-40 screw based on these dimensions:

http://www.smithfast.com/msthreaddims.html

Using the right angle formed by the edge connect and the bottom of the PCB on the right hand side as the origin, I am placing the first hole over 0.750" and up 0.125". The second hole is over 0.750" and up 2.375".

I sent a copy of the PCB layout and schematic to Hargle for review. Please take a long look at the updated design to ensure no regressions have crept in since we last did this a few months ago.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Hi! The PCB is standard 1/16", 0.062", 1.6mm thickness. The bracket has comparable thickness. I recommend no less than 1/8" thread length. 3/16" or 1/4" would be better.

Andrew Lynch

It works!

It works!

It works!

This is the second version of the card. (Yes, I've been sitting on it two months.) The build took about two hours. The instructions on the Wiki were perfect.

And Jeff - very nice touch on programming the SEEQ before sending it. I thought I was going to have to stop short to run back upstairs and prepare a floppy with the utils and latest BIOS. I was pleasantly surprised when it just simply booted the 8GB Maxtor, which had a DOS 5 (2GB in size) on it.

I will buy lunch the next time I'm in the cities .. I need to drive up to get my Selectric repaired, so there's an excuse ..

Mike

PS - Have any brackets?

heh, better late than never I guess!

yep, brackets for everyone if you missed out last time. I have plenty now.

I'll be happy to have you buy lunch. ;) I'll even return that IBM drive back to you, as I am officially giving up on it.

Hello everyone. I'm a little late to this party, as I just discovered this thread. I've been searching for the ellusive 8-bit IDE controller for years...

Are these still available? Kit or assembled would be fine.

Thanks,
Greg

Great, thanks!

I went to the spreadsheet, but didn't see the column headings and couldn't decypher the columns. Upload to Google Apps issue?

And apparently there is also an AT-XT keyboard converter available? Another piece of hardware I would very much be interested in.

Thanks again!
Greg

From memory I don't know what the first column with numbers is and the other two were preassembled and kit (unassembled) .. not sure which was which I just know I ordered one of each.

The format is: Real name, Email/name on forums, number of additional atmel chips requested, number of cards prebuilt, number of cards desired kit form, zip code/country (for estimating shipping costs), international shipping (1 or 0). and column J for comments.

i've added the headers back.
going through the revision history i am able to see what happened and restore them easily enough.

1st kit will be assembled shortly and tested, then my room mate and i will be starting the assembly process on as many cards as we can handle.
I know, I still owe final cost breakdowns, and I'll get to that soooooon.

This is a bit of a late bump, but as you could gather from my first post, I've just stumbled upon this and would really like to know if there are any more of these kits? Thanks.

This is a bit of a late bump, but as you could gather from my first post, I've just stumbled upon this and would really like to know if there are any more of these kits? Thanks.
Right now, you can still order a PCB from forum member lynchaj, but you'll have to get the parts yourself.

Is there any way I can purchase a preassembled card?

Is there any way I can purchase a preassembled card?

I stumbled upon this forum looking for a relatively inexpensive IDE/SCSI card. I have a 5160, and I'd love to give it some more space.

Any chance I can still purchase one of these?

Thanks!

Hi! Yes, just send me an email at LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM The PCBs are $12 each with $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere. I have plenty available. You buy the rest of the parts and assemble. Good luck!

Andrew Lynch

I've updated the wiki with a parts list for Fanrell UK which should be good for all of Europe, as shipping from Jameco makes it prohibitive.

Just a thought for any future versions of the board: a 4-pin power socket would be very helpful (to connect via a standard cable of some description to a flash-to-ide socket. Small issue I realise but it would be a bit neater than running cables from drive bays on the other side of the machine.

Anyway thanks again to the developers - am eagerly awaiting the delivery of the parts :)

Cheers

Hello. I just finished assembling th pcb. I will post photos later. Now i am having a problem flashing the eeprom.
My system is
AMSTRAD PC 1512
RAM 640Kb
DOS 3.3
Three 8 bit ISA slots
Drive A floppy 720kb
Drive B floppy 360Kb
config.bat
drivparm /d:0 /f:2
drivparm /d:1 /f:0

The configuring utility runs OK. I loaded xt_ide.bin. I get an instant "timeout error when polling eeprom" when i try to flash.
What may be wrong?

JP2 ON
JP1 ON
K1 L CSEL
SWITCH default setting:
1off
2on
3on
4on
5on
6off
7on
8on

you'll get that message when the flash part doesn't exist on the bus, or it's not where you're telling the idecfg program to find it.

either:
a) missing jumper on the eeprom enable pins
b) solder connections on the last 4 pins of the dip switch aren't quite right: one of them may be floating
c) solder connections on the EEPROM socket itself aren't all working
d) dipswitches themselves are perhaps set incorrectly or not making good contact
e) bad eeprom
f) bad dispswitch

e and f are unlikely.

The easiest thing to try is to just attempt to flash at all 16 possible addresses. The address table is on the back of the card, or here:
http://www.wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.php/XTIDE_project#Hardware_Settings
Don't change anything on the card, do it all in the software, changing the address one at a time. If the flash takes at one of the locations, then you have a dipswitch problem.

Back