• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how do logic ICs handle oscillating data?

Hehehe. Actually I'm a rank amature at both!

I must admit, the more I get into the hardware side the more interesting (and incredible) it becomes. My respect for those visionary electrical/electronics engineers and designers who stood on the shoulders of each other to give us computing technology has grown. And that's just from tinkering with the likes of Apple IIs and Pets and other such "primitive" beasts. The engineering in today's hardware must be just phenomenal!

Yet most of us take it entirely for granted!

Tez

Hehehe. Actually I'm a rank amature at both!

I must admit, the more I get into the hardware side the more interesting (and incredible) it becomes. My respect for those visionary electrical/electronics engineers and designers who stood on the shoulders of each other to give us computing technology has grown. And that's just from tinkering with the likes of Apple IIs and Pets and other such "primitive" beasts. The engineering in today's hardware must be just phenomenal!

Yet most of us take it entirely for granted!

Tez
I know what you mean; I'm still amazed that I can buy a digital watch with a calculator for $1.00 (and who knows what it actually cost before shipping and the middlemen's profits); unbelievable when I was young and calculators had gears and motors (or cranks)...

Tezza
Don't forget you are dealing with digital not analog. This is a binary decode device, using transistor as gates that are either on or off. That means their outputs are either on/high or off/low. High and low represent voltage conditions usually 0v or 5V
This particular device decodes its 2 inputs A and B (binary) to produce a state on one of its 4 output lines, corresponding to the binary input. Look at the truth table and you will see the output changing as the inputs A and B count in binary 0-3.
This can only happen when the enable/gate is active (either high or low, I haven't got the circuit in front of me)
Digital signals switch between high and low normally 5V and 0V. They should be square wave into a device and out of the device. Analog signals have incremental values, and can be varied in shape..

Back