Z80 still survives!

ygg-it

Hello!
I hope here you may enjoy my retrocomputing Z80 work and collection.:rolleyes:

Z80 flickr set
Z80 youtube

Best regards
G:pG

(if you have any question, I'm happy to reply asap)

* :bow2: Z80

Last edited:
Very cool and great job! Did you use some preexisting schematics for that or did you whip that up yourself? Either way very cool and thanks for the video :)

What are you planning on doing with it from here?

The good old Z80. One of my favourite CPUs.

One day as a learning exercise (maybe this winter..which for us is the middle of the year 2010) I will get into one of the kits that are often discussed here.

Tez

Hi, thanks!
It was a mix between existing schematics (source internet plus various books) and of course modification on my own.

I don't have any more space on the board and also it is dangerous now to solder any additional board inside, given the actual wiring complexity.

I'm planning now to build an external BREADBOARD TRAINER (self powered) to connect with the Z80 computer through the memory mapped 8 bit I/O.
Then start to play with A/D and D/A data conversion.....:fishing:

>The Z80 is still manufactured

Interesting: now the 50 MHz is classified as a "microcontroller"...:(
The original 2.5 Mhz Z80 was born as a "microprocessor"... :p

>
Interesting: now the 50 MHz is classified as a "microcontroller"...:(
The original 2.5 Mhz Z80 was born as a "microprocessor"... :p

As late as about 1971, the CDC 6600, which ran on a 10MHz clock, was a "supercomputer".

Not to mention the slipperiness of the terms, "SSI", "MSI" and "LSI".

Times change... :sigh:

I remember using the CDC 6600 "supercomputer" with UTLISP, as it was the only computer on campus considered powerful enough for AI programming. Now LISP is fast enough to run --interpreted-- as a back end for websites on standard personal computers.

:cool: Good job on the Z-80! I'm building a little trainer of my own based on the 8085 at present:

http://saundby.com/electronics/8085/

Hardware work is nearly finished on the "permanent" version (the one not on solderless breadboard) and I'll be posting more info on that then starting in on the monitor program for it. Right now I've just got short pieces of code to exercise the hardware posted.

Re Tezza "The good old Z80. One of my favourite CPUs."

Hang on, are there other micros?! *grin*

Good work ygg-it. What next, CP/M?

Very cool. I must've missed this before...

I'm trying to learn how to build something similar right now. (But initially much simpler than that one!)

Glad to have seen that. I needed a little inspiration to get me working on it again.

Back