• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So, I found one of these "clicky-key" keyboards. Are they really so valuable?

Ah, yeah I read that Dell rebranded some Model Ms

Actually, there were Dell-branded Model Ms as well. I think they were made in the early-mid '90s... I know it was after IBM handed the production over to Lexmark, because they were Lexmark branded on the bottom sticker.

Edit: Ah, yep, a quick Googling turned up a picture of them.

I've been wanting to make a modern one for years, build a brand new PC into a case combined with a keyboard.

Interrestingly, when the original IBM PC first came out, the detactable keyboard was seen as a marketing plus. I've seen advertisements showing an executive-type, feet on the desk with the keyboard in his lap. The implication was you could kick back a bit with the detatchable keyboard, rather than being hunched over the unit.

The fact that the keyboard was plugged in the back, had limited length on the cord and was wide and heavy made this somewhat of an illusion..:)\

Tez

Interrestingly, when the original IBM PC first came out, the detactable keyboard was seen as a marketing plus. I've seen advertisements showing an executive-type, feet on the desk with the keyboard in his lap. The implication was you could kick back a bit with the detatchable keyboard, rather than being hunched over the unit.

The fact that the keyboard was plugged in the back, had limited length on the cord and was wide and heavy made this somewhat of an illusion..:)\

Tez

My IBM AT keyboard cord is like.. excessively long. It's something like 6 feet, then it's also curly so it'd extend..

My Zenith Z-140 has the keyboard plug in the front, a feature I love.

...That Model M Compact can't be 1984. It looks more like post-1990. (diagonal IBM logo)

Correct, the Model 25 that used them wasn't in the initial PS/2 release models (1987). They are referred to as "Space Saver" keyboards. I think the Model 25 was the only model that was issued with a Space Saver as an option, although you could get them separately too.

The reference to "1984" is because the copyright date on EVERY SINGLE Model M-derived keyboard is 1984. Even the ones made in the 90s, for example this one in this thread, have a copyright date of 1984, and then elsewhere on the sticker the actual build date.

Edit: oops, this one is by Maxi Switch. Those ones had different labels, not quite the same at all. The IBM/Lexmark ones have the 1984 copyright on the sticker, while Maxi Switch do not.

Ah, that makes sense. This one is an official IBM-built one, no other companies marked anywhere, btw.

I would think the Eee has a problem with power and cooling. Looks great, but the one in the video was obviously so underpowered as to be unusable with their GUI. Everything took over 5 seconds to load! I'd love to use one with something it could handle like DOS or BSD.

BTW, that keyboard shown earlier with the red letters looks really nice. I have some older kbd with red but I'd have to dig it out to see what it was. I think it had a 9 pin D plug. I'd sure like to get myself a set of red key caps for the model M.

I'd like one of those old keyboards with all different colors for the control, alt, and function keys, etc. Were those terminal keyboards? Could anyone recommend a PC-compatible model?

I'd like one of those old keyboards with all different colors for the control, alt, and function keys, etc. Were those terminal keyboards? Could anyone recommend a PC-compatible model?

I don't think any of those are PC compatible. That's the problem.

Aha, that's why we go here.

That thread is about using an IBM terminal keyboard in Windows... mildly interesting... but I'd rather find out about things like how to use a DEC VT-100 keyboard (or Victor 9000) with a PC running BeOS... you know.. stuff like that.

Mr.A500 - BeOS through windows, or on it's own machine? One is way more interesting than the other.:D

<-- remembers making a quad-boot in '00 - Win2k/Linux/FreeBSD/BeOS. 20 Gig hard drive. Awesome.

Mr.A500 - BeOS through windows, or on it's own machine? One is way more interesting than the other.:D

I'm running BeOS on its own drive - not hosted by Windows. I do have Windows 2000 on a separate drive (just for iTunes) and Ubuntu - also on its own drive - for things BeOS can't do... such as some sites that are stupid flash-only. I definitely prefer BeOS.

(even more off topic... I just replaced the motherboard in this computer. BeOS booted as if nothing happened. Ubuntu had mild problems, but eventually booted. Windows 2000 refuses to boot. Typical.)

I don't think any of those are PC compatible. That's the problem.

There are some - a few of my boards have green Alt key text, etc., but if he means the whole key, most of those are industrial labels and not part of the actual keyboard - lots of Model Ms are labeled such a way.

Correct, the Model 25 that used them wasn't in the initial PS/2 release models (1987). They are referred to as "Space Saver" keyboards. I think the Model 25 was the only model that was issued with a Space Saver as an option, although you could get them separately too.

BTW my Model M Compact is dated 1987, so.. it may well have been a release model, eh? According to you in another thread, the first revision was the one where video and power lined up, and my Model 25 has that (I offered to sell it to you, btw, since you said you didn't have that sort).

Ooo that's much nicer than the Eee keyboard IMO. No wasted money on a screen that I won't use, has a normal touchpad, etc..

*apologizes for not editing his first post here*

Back