• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

[URGENT] Power Base Converter Value

Raven

Veteran Member
There's an auction I've been watching for a Power Base Converter (let's the Genesis play SMS games - its just a passive cartridge adapter really). It's up to $15 + $9 shipping, and if I were bidding I'd probably put a max bid of $21 for a total of $30 max. Is this worth it? Are these things as rare as they seem to be *at the moment*? Does someone have one they'd sell me for less (at least in the shipping department)?

Edit: I just found an auction for a Genesis w/ controllers AND the power base for around the same price, I bid on it for up to $25 inc. shipping.

Edit 2: It was a short time limit and I won it. $21 inc. shipping for the power converter, a spare genesis, two power adapters and a few controllers (including an arcade style one I've never seen).

Last edited:
$21 including shipping is a reasonably good deal. Power Base Converters go for around $10-$15 in the stores out here, and you're also getting an extra Genesis system out of it w/extra controllers, so I'd say you're coming out ahead.

Yeah that's why I jumped on that - I felt like it was "wrong" to pay a total of $30 for just the power converter, but the whole lot for $21 made me quite happy. My old Genesis has seen lots of action and the volume slider is a bit dead, so it'll be good to get another model 1 Genesis (maybe I'll yoink the volume slider just to keep my personal one pristine).. I'll run one as a SMS and one as a Genesis, lol. :D

For collectability, only the ones that are boxed are really worth more. Willowmoon93 was right on the price, about the same here. It's a nice haul and a great rig, the arcade stick sounds pretty cool (pics??).

I think you made a pretty good score, there :)

Dunno why eBay makes it so hard to download images...

*uses view source and hotlinks the pic*

This pic shows all of the stuff, there's a closeup of the power base converter but you all know what that looks like I'm sure.

!BhM5rPgCGk~$(KGrHqQOKk!Ery6RjlbCBLIET32Cmg~~_12.JPG

The third-party controller above the arcade one looks like an ASCIIpad, which I have one of - it's nice. No idea why it's called an ASCIIpad though - lol.

Edit: Unless this is a weird angle, I don't think this is the official SEGA arcade controller, in case you're wondering. I'll let you know when it comes though.

Last edited:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2451/p1010423p.jpg (we don't have modern bbcode or I'd dynamically resize and show it here)

Looks nice - this is my full setup (sans-Genesis games and other controllers, or this would be a very zoomed-out picture). I also have a Genesis Model 2 (possibly dead, got it from an eternally-outside-selling-stuff market place), and a Genesis Model 3 (non-official) - which I was typically using until I got Doom 32x and my new PBC.

And yes, it's an ASCIIware fighting stick - I like it.

I'll stick with my mono 80s TV thanks. I'm not a sound-obsessed person, and single-channel without static is enough to make me happy (pretty much as long as it MAKES sound).

Offtopic: Anybody know what the Sega mouse was used for?

Last edited:
It's not just a basic passthrough is it? I thought it had some sort of ASIC that bypasses the 68000 and puts the Z80 in charge??

Still have mine in original box :)
Might open it up and see whats inside!

It's not just a basic passthrough is it? I thought it had some sort of ASIC that bypasses the 68000 and puts the Z80 in charge??

Still have mine in original box :)
Might open it up and see whats inside!

I'm pretty sure it's just a passthrough - it's a pretty one with nice cart slot and card slot, but as far as I know there's no circuitry in it - I don't plan to disassemble mine to find out though. AFAIK it's just code that puts the Z80 in charge in the Genesis.

BTW, shouldn't it be possible to run CP/M on the Genesis, technically, since it has a Z80? It would require custom drivers, keyboard adapter, etc., but from a theoretical standpoint it is possible, right? (just checking my sanity)

Sega Mouse - originally made for a (very) few games under the "SEGA Club" label, sort of a 'educational for-kids' line of carts. The one I see most often is "Fun 'n Games".

It's... sort of useless for a Genny, although I'm curious now if it'd work with an amiga or C64 et al. Same controller port... right? :D

Sega Mouse - originally made for a (very) few games under the "SEGA Club" label, sort of a 'educational for-kids' line of carts. The one I see most often is "Fun 'n Games".

It's... sort of useless for a Genny, although I'm curious now if it'd work with an amiga or C64 et al. Same controller port... right? :D
There's one game that I know of for the Sega CD, Eye of the Beholder and my copy is bad. There are other CD titles that used them, a handful of Genesis titles as well. Art Alive, Wacky Worlds, can't remember the names of any of the other games. Now I want Fun 'n Games.

I think I have Art Alive and didn't know how to control it so stashed it away in a bin with the sports games (hate sports). As well, I have the Menacer cart, but had no idea what the Menacer was until recently, and thought the cart was broken when I was younger because I couldn't get past the menu, lol..

Back