• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GUI for the apple IIe?

Atticus

Is there a program that would allow a graphical user interface with the apple II or apple IIe?
I seem to remember there being one when I was a kid, because I used the internet on one at some point.
I know there is Contiki but I'm not sure exactly how to configure it and port it.
Could somebody help me?

Some GUI's other than contiki include catalyst, mousedesk and geos. Any of these sound familiar?

I'm not sure it it was possible to use the internet on a //e before the uthernet card was released, and that was fairly recent. :confused:

There might have been a device that I am unfamiliar with that would allow browsing before the uther, but I'm not familiar with one.

I'm also not aware of any other internet-enabled software for the apple ][ other than contiki, but again I might be wrong.

As for setting up contiki, I have not done that but on the a2retrosystems contiki page there is a pdf manual. It seems to be for an older version, but it still might be helpful.

Hmm, never heard of those, so I'll check them out, thank you.
Also, I'm pretty sure there was some kind of acoustic coupling module made for the apple II series, so I think that's what we were using. I actually didn't get the internet myself until 1996 with dial-up. Other than that I don't remember.

Well, using terminal software, such as ProTERM, you could dial in to a dial-up shell internet account, as my first internet access was. (Of course, I used a DOS machine, not an A2, but there is no technical reason why you couldn't use an A2.)

Back