• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

silicon valley area: bunch of XTs at weird stuff

carangil

Experienced Member
Hey, I was at Weirdstuff a few days ago (Sunnyvale, CA), and they seem to have just gotten in a bunch of working XT's.

I almost bought one! I didn't since I'm a little short of extra cash at the moment (because of christmas, haha) Most of the cases don't even look messed up.

I kinda want one, but I'd like a broken one, because I just want to rip the guts out and put new stuff inside, and I don't feel like killing a working XT; it seems almost criminal. :)

I tried to buy one from them. They wanted $70 for it as-is and they would not even turn it on or anything, so I decided to not buy it since I had no idea if it was a 5150 or 5160 or if it even worked. They way they were dealing with me felt very shady and used car like.

So you may get a deal from them with this, but you may not just make sure you test it before you leave so you aren't ripped off.

They won't let you plug one in on the test bench? I would think you should be allowed to remove the casing to examine the inner. (At least I've never been told I cannot, and I've borrowed their screw driver before.) Though $75 a piece feel a bit steep.

Even if you can't open it you can tell if it's a 5150 or 5160 due to the slot spacing in the back, the 5150 slots are spread far apart while the 5160 started the now-standard spacing.

Edit: Also, the 5150 would have dual AT-connectors, one for the cassette interface that was never used again...

They won't let you plug one in on the test bench? I would think you should be allowed to remove the casing to examine the inner. (At least I've never been told I cannot, and I've borrowed their screw driver before.) Though $75 a piece feel a bit steep.

Well it was more that they did not have a monitor or a keyboard for me to use and test it with. Plus the asking amount they wanted was way too steep, so it did not really matter too much.

Back