• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bumming 5153 destroyed

framer

Veteran Member
:sad3: I finely found a nice complete 5170 with lots of extra's at a fair price. The really nice 5153 monitor was destroyed in shipping. It was even nicely packed with lots of heavy duty padding. :sad3: What a shame. Nothing easy is it. The rest is still worth what I paid so I really should be greatfull. Well back to looking for that 5153...

framer

It looks like it was dropped on it backside. The whole crt tube broke free from the case and shattered the rear of the tube where the connector goes. The case has some cracking on the outside but the real damage is on the inside all the mounting points are busted off. I's say down for the count. The PS might be intact and the rest might be good for parts.

framer

FedEx ground.

Wow.
I bought a 5160 XT and a 5153 off a guy a year ago.
He double boxed the XT, and triple boxed the 5153, put fragile stickers on both, and the 5153 still arrived busted.
It looked like UPS had rolled the box down the street instead of driving it up in a truck.
From then on, I said no more UPS, it's FedEx for me.

I guess it just depends on what area you are in.
Here in the Phoenix area, UPS just seems real rough, while FedEx seems to take more care of the items.

At least you can still pick up another on Ebay (or maybe right here on the Vintage Computer auction site).

Wow. I bought a 5160 XT and a 5153 off a guy a year ago.
He double boxed the XT, and triple boxed the 5153, put fragile stickers on both, and the 5153 still arrived busted.
It looked like UPS had rolled the box down the street instead of driving it up in a truck.
From then on, I said no more UPS, it's FedEx for me.

How terrible to hear that. I almost feel guilty that my CM-11 arrived intact. Makes you wonder how people managed to ship millions of CRTs over the years without most being destroyed in transit.

At least you can still pick up another on Ebay (or maybe right here on the Vintage Computer auction site).

Or you could always get a CGA-compatible LCD off of that site I listed on here some weeks ago. Of course, that's not for everyone.

BTW, does the OP's 5170 have a CGA or an EGA card? If it's the former, he could use the composite output until he gets a monitor.

I have a Commodore cga that work perfect. I just wanted a complete 5170 setup. I'll get a nice one sometime I'm sure.

framer

That seriously sucks, makes me sad to read that...

I got lucky I guess. I bought my 5153 from some random ebayer who didn't know how to pack things, it was in a small box with cheap packing peanuts and shipped via UPS.
It arrived in flawless condition. I guess you never really know, it could very well have turned out badly for me or you. I've had things go wrong with each major shipper.

EDIT: Just had my mind register your username... I'm a picture framer myself, hehe

Last edited:
i work in airfreight, and the common rule is this.

If you put fragile stickers on it, it's guaranteed to be maimed, mauled, destroyed, played hockey with, blah blah blah..

I believe you! I sent hundreds of parcels .. no big problems until now.. but the parcle with "fragile" and extra insurance to italy (PET 2001) got wrecked.. the CRT inside broke at the neck... was packaged as good like all other 8 PETs I shipped before without problems... the post did not refund although I had fotos of the packaging process and it was obviously good packaged...

I learned not to put fragile stickers or similar onto the package

:sad3: I finely found a nice complete 5170 with lots of extra's at a fair price. The really nice 5153 monitor was destroyed in shipping. It was even nicely packed with lots of heavy duty padding. :sad3: What a shame. Nothing easy is it. The rest is still worth what I paid so I really should be greatfull. Well back to looking for that 5153...

framer

Sorry to hear that, what a shame. The 5153 is the IBM CGA monitor, right? I've got an attic full of them if you want to try for another. Problem is that it would have to ship from Oregon.... who know's if it would make it. I'll try to check back here as I don't read the forums often, but you can always email me at classicelectronicsguy at yahoo if you're interested.

I guess I should give you guys the rest of the story.

I contacted the seller to check if I could file an insurance claim. He said he would take care of it and informed me he had another CGA monitor and offered it to replace the broken one but it was not has nice has the one that got broke. I told him I'd be happy accept it, "beggers can't be choosey". He shipped it out at his expense. Got it yesterday and it checked out perfect. I put the Mr. Clean eraser to it and it clean up nice. It does have a few small specks of paint missing on edges. Really I'm thrilled.

framer

I got to thinking about it after I posted my last message. If the case on your busted monitor isn't too bad don't trash it. I have always thought the IBM CGA and EGA monitors were the best looking ones for the PC/XT/AT, but I have games and things that require VGA so I use a VGA monitor on my AT. If I could get a good 5153 case, I would think about maybe sticking the VGA monitor guts inside instead. Part of me still wants to go full vintage but the other part thinks it would be kinda cool :) Anyway, let me know if you're gonna get rid of the old one.

All the mounts are zippo and it's cracked bad. Not worth the freight. I'll keep just in case for spare parts on the electronics.

What about your attic full of 5153's???

framer

Yea, origionally I was thinking of taking one of them apart and swapping the guts, but I hate to do that to a good working monitor. It's not high on the priority list at this point :)

I recall there was a discussion about this awhile back, transplanting the guts of a VGA monitor
into an IBM CGA/EGA case. I think the main issue was the curvature of the CRT face is slightly
different between the VGA and CGA/EGA monitors which might cause problems mounting the
VGA CRT.

If you do find a VGA monitor that will successfully transplant, please keep us posted. I think the
IBM 8513 might be a good candidate if you can find a good working one.

Last edited:
When Terry sent me a WYSE Terminal I was a bit worried about it but it arrived in impeccable condition and the box was still clean! Sadly DHL no longer operates in the United States but from the few times I received something shipped though them, it always arrived in a box that was still a cube instead of the usual UPS sphere.

Back