• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Our VC Wiki

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
The people at Wikipedia are going through one of their well known cycles of deleting articles for no good purpose, which makes this an opportune time to remind people about our own Wiki located here: http://wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.php/Main_Page

I'd really like to see our Wiki become the premier place for Wiki-style articles on vintage computers. There are a few machine represented there now, but there could be a lot more.

Just to help push things along a little, I created a new category "How_To" and added an article on how to low level format an XT class MFM controller. It is adapted from a thread that Lorne started a few weeks ago. There is a lot of room for similar 'how-to' type articles. Here is the direct link: http://wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.php/Low_Level_Format_XT_Class_Hard_Drive

Remember, it's a group effort! Don't be rude, and don't over edit ...

Mike

Kudos Mike,

This is just how the wiki feature should be used. An article on a common issue which crops up all the time.

I think a lot of the stickies on the forum could be converted into Wiki articles. Of course to convert these to wiki articles requires people who are knowledgable, have good writing skills and time on their hands. Many regular contributors here have the first two prerequisites but it's often the last that's the harder to find!

Can anyone create and/or edit the wikis? Is there a VCF "editorial" panel which can (or does) maintain quality control?

Tez

On a related note....how does one FIND the Wiki articles? I can't seem to find a link to them anywhere, at least not from the Forum pages?

Tez

It is adapted from a thread that Lorne started a few weeks ago. There is a lot of room for similar 'how-to' type articles.

Remember, it's a group effort! Don't be rude, and don't over edit ...

Mike

I like it ! My name in a Wiki.

I've got a few things I can, and will add. We just need to add a few more (than 24) hours to the day.

Meanwhile, could we add a link in the How To section, for de-yellowing computers, that could then link to Merlin's Wiki?

How do you edit the Wiki?
I was going to add the Debug for the Western Digital WDXT-GEN2 PLUs HDD controller board (which is the usual g=c800:5)

I think you need to register before editing.

Once you are registered, look at the editing help pages at wikipedia.org for tips on how to format your entries. It's yet another markup language to learn ...

I've started by adding a couple of system pages and some images. I'll add more as time permits, and put more "hands-on" content than would be appropriate for an article at wikipedia in the ones already there.

It appears that not all the wikipedia reference and citation tags are supported, so far as I could tell. I modified my entries a bit to make them still look good. If there's a proper way to do this on your wiki, I'll update them when I learn it. :)

Thanks for putting this up.

Erik has a link to the VC Wiki from his start page, http://www.vintage-computer.com/

However it is true the forum software does not have any navigational links to neither the wiki nor the marketplace, a shortcoming I addressed a month ago but didn't get any response to.

Right. The wiki definitely needs to be linked to the forum. The forum is the centre page for the community and given that Blogs and Articles are linked there it makes sense for the Wiki to be too. Otherwise regular users just don't know it's there.

Tez

However it is true the forum software does not have any navigational links to neither the wiki nor the marketplace, a shortcoming I addressed a month ago but didn't get any response to.

There aren't links from the menus, but if you go to the main forum page you can see that there are two "forums" marked with the "link" icon: forum_link-48.png

Those are links to the resources in question (I just added the Wiki one tonight - the Marketplace one has been there for a while.)

So that we aren't duplicating and wasting our time, I suggest that we post either here (or somewhere else?) what items we're working on for the Wiki. IE: who's got dibs on what.

I'm planning on coming up with something for the TeleVideo 910, 925 & 950 terminals, along with the Altos 8000 series computers. If someone else is doing the same, pipe up, so we don't duplicate efforts.

Lorne.

I've done the Elf, the Big Board (covers both BBI and BBII), and Joe Weisbecker. I'm preparing articles for Jay Miner and Ampro Little Board (original Z-80 version, including LB+).

Back