XT IDE Ordering interest? (Was: Xt-ide

Votes: 59 52.7%

Votes: 38 33.9%

Votes: 8 7.1%

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 5+ (please post how many below)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
I'm fine with PayPal myself, but for those of you who aren't, wouldn't COD be an option? Any additional costs that would entail to be paid for by the buyer, of course.

The fact remains that for remote internet transactions between two private parties, PayPal is the only option that is both mutually convenient and widely accepted. Also, unlike sending cash, the former at least provides certain financial protections.

Can't those of us who have reservations about PayPal simply just open a prepaid account or something? Even if they're only going to use it for this occasion, and nothing else?

To those opposed to PayPal:

I'm open to personal checks, cashiers checks, or money orders as payment. They'll have to clear the bank first. I didn't use PayPal for a long time, so I understand the frusteration of not being able to purchase things from those who can't handle alternate payment.

So far, I've got just two cards sold -- that leaves 8 more orders I can fill. PM me if you're interested.

From a point of view of someone that done tons of sales in my lifetime, been a retailer for 40 years, give these great guys a break and get a paypal account. It is a lot of work to process checks and make sure they clear. Sending out COD is even harder and it cost a lot. Then on COD you need a money order or bank check for the exact amount drivers in many area can't take cash. What a pain. These guys work many hours to put this project together please make it easier for them to process and deliver your order. Get a PayPal account. I've done over 500 Paypal transactions over the last 10 years without a problem. It easy, it's fast, it's safe. They gave up their time and put up their money and took no profit. Please help them help us if you can.

Ok I will get off my soapbox tonight.

This was posted from a tyan S1564D duel P1 233 MMX running W2K w/IE6 IE6 really shows it age with this new forum software.

framer

I got my kits today and got one of them assembled. Took me about 2 hours. Man it sucks to be getting older as I have trouble seeing things well enough to solder nowadays! Luckily I bought a pair of those lighted, magnified goggles a few months back, they sure came in handy.

I'd like to commend hargle on his kitting since my kit had all the right parts and correct number of everything. Good job. I appreciate the effort you have put into this.

Now I need to dig out one of my XTs to see if I can get the card installed and setup then try installing a hard drive.

I'm glad i came upon these forums! I'm working with a friends PC-XT Clone, and would like to know the ordering information, if these kits are currently shipping, and how long the wait time will be. I commend hargle and whomever worked to get this adapter running! Unfortunely, due to worseing neurological prolbems, i no longer can fully trust my soldering skills, so i will have to order one bult. Where can i put in an order for one?

I'm glad i came upon these forums! I'm working with a friends PC-XT Clone, and would like to know the ordering information, if these kits are currently shipping, and how long the wait time will be. I commend hargle and whomever worked to get this adapter running! Unfortunely, due to worseing neurological prolbems, i no longer can fully trust my soldering skills, so i will have to order one bult. Where can i put in an order for one?

There is a link to the ordering spreadsheet on page 11..

I got my kits today and got one of them assembled. ....

I received my kits yesterday ! THANKS ! I'm wondering if I should do a side by side assembly of both at the
same time or just build one and save some fun for another day :)

here's a quick pic of my first finished and tested card.
xtide.jpg

this also shows the default dipswitch settings and jumper positions. got more cards cooking today and will be hitting the post office soon. thanks for all the positive feedback-it really helps brighten my mood!

I received my XTIDE kit yesterday and am quite pleased. It took about 1.5 hours to assemble. Like ‘strollin’ I found the kit to be complete with exact counts of everything (except the jumpers that we were told would not be included). After assembly I configured it for the default addresses, installed the preprogrammed 28C64, plugged it into a clone 10 mhz XT Turbo board, and it immediately booted up an old 80 mb Western Digital drive that I actually used on a 386 system some years ago. The drive has DOS 6.20 and I believe DBLSPACE is also installed and active. I thank everyone for all of the hard work on this project.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Thermals on a number of ground and VCC pins would have helped. If you have a temperature-controlled soldering iron, a little more heat or a slightly larger tip might help.

2. Watch the pins on the right angle 40-pin IDE connector. They can easily move individually while you are soldering and you could have difficulty plugging on the ribbon cable. I would suggest attaching a ribbon cable before soldering.

Ah yes, that reminds me that I figured out a neat tip for the 40 pin connector. To get the connector to sit high enough and level off the PCB surface, first solder in the 14 pin header for the IRQs, then take the resistor packs and place them underneath the 40 pin header to use as a spacer. Tack down the 4 corners of the header, remove the packs and then solder the rest of the pins down. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. With the 14 pin header the card will be level on the surface of the table, and with the resistor packs in there, it'll be at just the right height.
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/hargle/headerspacer.jpg

Help

Help

Ok I'll fess up I only kinda know what I'm doing. Got 1st one put together triple checked twice. When installed in my stripped down real 5160 XT I get nothing - not even a startup memory check on my CGA monitor. Everythings fine when pulled it out. I've even tried it without my floppy interface card in the system.

HELP!!

I have JP1 jumped
k1 = L
SW1 = off on on on on off on on
no hard drive yet attached

I really believe the soldering is ok?? I do have a 2nd kit should I replace all the IC and bios and try again?

Thank for any comments.

framer

Please move all tech support questions to the tech support thread.
-------

I see today that according to the spreadsheet we've now sold more cards than we had made.
I'm trying to be fair about this and going down the list by the order they appear. There may be shortages, but there also have been people who have not responded to my paypal invoices, so if those deadbeats don't pay up, there should be enough to go around. It's first pay first served, but I have to give the first signer-upper's the first shot at a purchase.

There are also some of you who have not supplied your email on the spreadsheet. Feel free to munge your email address in the form to avoid a spam bot, but please don't make me chase you down here just to get your email just to send you an invoice.

Get a magnifying glass and a strong light and check all the solder connections.

It's very easy to accidentally 'bridge' two pins with solder which could cause
a problem like this.

Where could I find it or do I need to start a new thread?

Thanks

framer

I did search.

tech support thread:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?19591-XTIDE-tech-support-thread

I should mention it "over there" but you can also remove all the ICs from the card and then put the card in the machine. If it is still keeping the system down, then it is most certainly an assembly issue. If it lights the screen, then it may be a part inserted incorrectly, or a bad part. We could also go so far as isolate the chips required for each subsystem (IO and Memory) to further track down the problem.

Although I already paid and my two kits are on their way, beware that the spreadsheet seems to have been re-ordered in alphabetical order rather than the order people signed up. I could be wrong, but "Zwyzniza Zweutinek" somewhere in the deep forests of Poland might get one card short on behalf of Aadrian Aaber.

Good point!.
I somewhat noticed that, but the last 5 entries or so are not in order, so those likely were entered at a later date. That's a bit unfair indeed. If we do run out, I can dig through the revision history to see who got there first, but I hope to not have to resort to that, or to some sort of lottery system for the last few cards.

In other news, I just discovered that Jamco shorted me 100 of the 573's. I've sent a customer service email. They have a history of completely blowing me off on my complaints with them, so we will see how this fairs. This knocks out 33 cards from being able to be shipped until I receive more parts.

I got my 2nd card assembled and working. Had 1 small problem with the kitting, an extra 16 pin socket instead of a 14 pin socket. I just bent the last 2 pins flat of the 16 pin socket and used it as a 14 pin. Other than that, everything was right on.

Had 1 small problem with the kitting, an extra 16 pin socket instead of a 14 pin socket. I just bent the last 2 pins flat of the 16 pin socket and used it as a 14 pin. Other than that, everything was right on.

doh! Sorry about that. I'm sure it's not the last time it'll come up unfortunately.

I will have to make sure that I have an extra 16 pin socket now. Yep, we're that tight on parts that there is no room for spares.
That may also mean that someone else got 2 14 pin sockets and will be short, or possibly unable to complete their card! sorry in advance if it's you.

My personal card that I build, which will probably be the last one, will be all frankensteined together with missing bits and spare pieces. heheh.

Oh, and Jameco will be sending out additional parts so there should be no interruption in the shipping department here.

Thinking about adding another one to the list, use one for the Xt while I keep a spare ready for the Tandy....do I enter myself onto the spreadsheet twice? Or reuse the fields that were there?

Back