• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Installing Network Card in IBM XT

I would look for a 3COM 3C503, a genuine NE1000, an Intel EtherExpress 8/16, or an older SMD/WD 8003 based card as an alternative.

Why? To avoid getting the correct packet driver? ;) These cards (I have a couple of them) really not bad and I've never experienced problems with them, exept with the "wrong" driver. :) This also happens in a pentium pc with windows 95.

I got the setup disk for this card, but couldn't attach it here (uploading part does not work).
/edit, ah, must have been too big.

pktd.sys attached.

Attachments

• PKTD..zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Why? To avoid getting the correct packet driver? ;) These cards (I have a couple of them) really not bad and I've never experienced problems with them, exept with the "wrong" driver. :) This also happens in a pentium pc with windows 95.

Because I know they work and the correct packet driver is easy to find ...

Same to this card. You just have to download the packet driver from the manufacturers site.

That's a pretty obvious solution to the problem. Don't you think we tried that?

Better yet, I'd like a nickel for every 'correct' packet driver that I have found for my cards that doesn't work.

If the OP is interested, and if he's located in the USA, I might consider letting one of my Artisoft AE-2/T cards go. They do work in XTs (I've got one there now). There's also an AE-2 (10base2 and AUI, no 10baseT) on eBay for about 20 smackers.

For whatever it's worth. Lantastic setups were all over the place before the big boys got into networking. There should still be some of the cards kicking around.

Thanks again guys.

TnC has been helping me in PM also.. I got some WATTCP based app's as suggested, but didn't have much luck with them. Keen to try Mikes FTP.

Jorg: How do I configure IRQs and I/O with that driver?
Same for the Realtek one TnC is suggestiing.. I found this on it:

;RTL8019's OEMSETUP.INF File:

[netcard]
RTL8019="RealTek 8019 (REALPNP)",000,ndis,ethernet,real,rtl8019,rtl8019_nif

[rtl8019]
devdir=?:pnpnd.dos
device=pnpnd.dos,@devdir\pnpnd.dos

[rtl8019_nif]
drivername=PNPND$
param=NETADDRESS,"Network Address",chars,13,"@000000000000",0x02

param=ADAPTERID,"Adpater's ID(required if multi-8019 used).",chars,13,@000000000000,0x02

Looks fair enough for PnP, but don't know about the XT

Hey Guys

bit of an update.. I bought another modded XT, and surprise surprise, Guess what I found inside it..

A 3COM Etherlink 3C501

Anyone had exp with this model on an XT? A recomendation for a 3C503 above.. hopefully they're very similar. Unfortunatly the HDD appears to be buggerd, which would have had the packet driver on it for sure ;(

I have no experience of the 3C501, but while browsing the subject previously I got the impression one should stay far away from it, and that a 3C503 is a much better choice than a '501. However your milage may vary and you find yourself satisfied with its operation.

I still have one supposedly NE-x000 compatible, 16-bit card that needs to be tested in my Victor XT clone. Since my first 16-bit NE compatible card worked out of the box after running the setup program to configure it in 8-bit mode, installing the proper packet driver and Mike's appplications, I never bothered to test the second one.

Oh g-d, the 3C501. One of the Linux networking how-tos says that if you find one of these cards you should remove it and burn it ... Let's just say that it is very limited.

For an XT it is probably fine.

I wouldn't even use a 3c501 in an XT-class machine. I've had several, never got any of them working. The 3c503 is a fine card, though. The 3c501 is only useful as a historical curiosity.

You may not be missing out on a packet driver -- a lot of early networking software talked to only specific cards directly. In any case, good packet drivers are widely available for 3Com cards. There are a few 3c503s listed on eBay at the moment for reasonable prices (search "Etherlink II").

Here's a link to a BIN for NE1000 cards with TP connections:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NE1000-Compatib...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414d5c735d

Thanks guys for the replies.. I think I'll leave the 501 in a display cabinet or something haha

Disapointing though, I really thought I was going to win with this one

Marr. cheers for the link, I've already tried NE1000 and 2000 pkt drivers. They just won't fully work with the XT, only on a later class machine for some reason (driver appears to load MAC addr reporting good, TCP no workies) :(

If your NE1000/NE2000 card works with a Crynwr packet driver on a new machine, it's not the XT's older, limited hardware that's defeating you. I use a Crynwr NE1000 driver regularly with my IBM XT and an 8-bit NE1000 with AUI.

Back