• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 to VGA - how can it be done?

I have a Tandy 1000 SX which has output for an EGA monitor. I'd really like to hook this up to a modern VGA monitor but have no idea how to do so.

I purchased two EGA to VGA adapters but neither worked (one was strictly hardware based, the other a stand-alone device).

I could use the composite outputs but the quality is horrendous.

Any help you could provide would be most appreciated!

Best regards,
Trem

The 1000 SX should have ISA slots, doesn't it? If so, you can just add an 8-bit VGA card.

Besides, I'm sure the output is CGA, not EGA.

Your Tandy 1000 has composite out? :O

Lucky.. I had to add a 8-bit VGA until I can find a CGA monitor, and yes, they're CGA. It's Technically PCjr compatible, but that's extended CGA, so unless you get a PCjr monitor and apps written for a PCjr or Tandy 1000 specifically it won't use the extensions (afaik).

I have a Tandy 1000 RL/HD.

I used to own an EGA monitor for my original "Tandy 1000" (original release) so that's why I thought it was EGA.

Now that I know its enhanced CGA, are there any adapters that exist? I love the built-in enhanced Tandy graphics so if I'd love it if I could still use that as the output.

After your recommendations on getting an 8-bit VGA card I searched eBay and bought a "Video 7 VEGA Deluxe V2 VGA EGA CGA Mono 8-Bit ISA Card". $39.95 w/free shipping seemed fair to me. I'll give this puppy a shot once it comes in.

I keep beating myself to death thinking "why did I throw out that stuff in the early 90s? (Oh I'll never use that again... WRONG!)"

Thanks for the replies guys! I **REALLY** appreciate the help! :)

Last edited:
Pretty badass choice of card, according to others here it's the only one more versatile than my card of choice, the Trident 8800CS - the only feature mine lacks is that it's 16-bit only I believe.

I got the card and the output is a 7-pin connector. If I put a 7-15 connector on it, would it work on a modern VGA monitor?

7-Pin? I've never heard of that. Is it a usual D-Sub connector? Or do you maybe have a photo at hand?

Turn off DIP switch 1 on the motherboard, and you can install a VGA (or EGA) card into a Tandy 1000SX. Of course, you will lose the enhanced Tandy CGA graphics modes, but 3-voice Tandy sound will still work.

For any question about upgrading a Tandy 1000, the Tandy 1000 FAQ is your bible:

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/1kfaq.html

Sorry... it's a 9-pin connector... I was tired and mistaken. I just assumed it was going to be the standard 15-pin VGA style.

Sorry... it's a 9-pin connector... I was tired and mistaken. I just assumed it was going to be the standard 15-pin VGA style.

I think the Video 7 VEGA Deluxe is EGA , I found some info about the card here:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/U-Z/VIDEO-SEVEN-EGA-V7-VEGA-DELUXE.html

I have a couple of those cards laying around somewhere. Will try to dig one out and take a closer look.
If it only has a 9 pin connector, thats used for CGA/EGA. VGA would need a 15 pin connector. If that was
advertised as a VGA card, you should definitely contact the seller.

Turn off DIP switch 1 on the motherboard, and you can install a VGA (or EGA) card into a Tandy 1000SX. Of course, you will lose the enhanced

Today I pulled my Tandy 1000SX down off the shelf and tried a Paradise PVGA1A 8-bit VGA
card I had laying around. I turned dip switch 1 to the off position. The VGA card works fine in
the Tandy attached to a standard VGA monitor, an IBM 8513.

I didn't have time to test any CGA games, but I did try Deskmate and a few other apps
installed on the internal hard card and all worked fine.

Today I pulled my Tandy 1000SX down off the shelf and tried a Paradise PVGA1A 8-bit VGA
card I had laying around. I turned dip switch 1 to the off position. The VGA card works fine in
the Tandy attached to a standard VGA monitor, an IBM 8513.

I didn't have time to test any CGA games, but I did try Deskmate and a few other apps
installed on the internal hard card and all worked fine.

Thanks for the information everyone... I'll give her a go tomorrow if/when I find that 9-to-15 pin adapter. :p

Still lookin'...

Back