Votes: 59 52.7%

Votes: 38 33.9%

Votes: 8 7.1%

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 5+ (please post how many below)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Thanks Hargle,
I've added my name to the spreadsheet if a second run should happen.
I do have a SB/IDE that I have to modify for my SX. (next project)
The 1000A, etc will have to wait....
Cheers Dave

I have removed my email and request from the spreadsheet as the current project has completed.

I'll continue to monitor this thread should a Rev2, etc move forward.

Cheers Dave

(always late to the party)

I have removed my email and request from the spreadsheet as the current project has completed.

I'll continue to monitor this thread should a Rev2, etc move forward.

Cheers Dave

(always late to the party)

If lynchaj or hargle places another order for more printed circuit boards you should definitely get one.
Then just order a handful of parts from Jameco and you'll have a kit :)
Might cost a few dollars more this way, but why miss all the fun......

Hi! Getting your own parts is usually cheaper and better IMO. Also you can build it "your way". There is a parts list on the wiki and probably detailed Jameco/Digikey BOM and/or part list. I'd just ask around on these threads and I am fairly sure someone will post one if they haven't already.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I just received the XT-IDE cards. I hope to have time to work with it as soon as possible. The first of all, I must read this thread complete and the wiki ;)

Built and tested on my Amstrad PC-1512 last week - worked great with an IDE-CF 128MB that was already setup with DOS 6.22.
Tonight - installing into an ancient 7-axis CNC controller!
Thanks for all the hard work guys!
Is there a place to record setups it's been tested with?

Got mine today, my hot-rodded hacked together XT is running again, now it's time to make some batch files to pull the software I want to use over the LAN this weekend.

Got mine today, my hot-rodded hacked together XT is running again, now it's time to make some batch files to pull the software I want to use over the LAN this weekend.

why not just put the drive in a modern computer and load it up, then put it back into the XT? Probably save you a couple hours just in transfer times!

Because I can let it sit and load the software, it does not take several hours as I have a fairly decent NIC, decent network, and low traffic. Also, I don't feel like taking my modern machines apart or changing drivers just to install all that software since my main software storage computer is my main machine, which is a Pendium D dual core 64-bit running XP Pro. All I have to do is setup the XT, establish a connection to the XP machine via MS LanMan via NetBEUI protocol, and run the batch file on the XT.

Most of the software I pull across initially is games, many of which don't take a lot of time or speed to install fast. It's not like I'm putting Ultima 7 or anything like that on there. For something "big" like Ultima V, it takes about a minute maximum, even on my slightly slower Tandy 1000.

Hargle... I have received the items today... unfortunately there is a mistake. You sent me the un-assembled card / built in yourself kit. Besides when I check.. I could not see the deep switch component. Only some resistors, chipsets and a bracket. I have sent you a PM. Thankyou

Okay... I finally got around to trying to play with the card last night. The host machine in my case is a Tandy 1000HX. I was waiting til I could build an 8-bit ISA -> Tandy 1000 Plus connector adapter (used the method recommended in the FAQ... ribbon cable with card edge and pin connectors).

Am I right in thinking that I need to program the BIOS with the utilities myself?

Hargle... aren't you using one of these cards in an HX? What IO/Memory base addresses are you using?

Hi! I have more of the XT-IDE boards if people are interested. These are available as the "PCB only" option so you build them yourself. The parts are common and inexpensive and construction is pretty simple so nearly everyone should be able to make their own.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Am I right in thinking that I need to program the BIOS with the utilities myself?
Your EEPROM was pre-programmed with (I believe) RC1 of the BIOS, so it should work right out of the box.
You don't have to, but you probably should, download the latest BIOS off the wiki; it was just updated yesterday. The flash utility and the BIOS itself is included in the zip.
Hargle... aren't you using one of these cards in an HX? What IO/Memory base addresses are you using?

yes. I used the stock 300h IO address IIRC. It's been awhile since I dragged that machine out, but I don't remember needing to do anything particularly sneaky to get it to work.

BTW: just since I'm thinking about it, if you or anyone else comes across a spare plastic top for the HX, my machine could certainly use it.

I should probably check the wiki... but do you have to enter the bios using DEBUG, or does it give you the option of pressing esc or something like that during bootup?

There's a full on boot menu during POST that comes up, allowing you to select which drive to boot to (even booting to B: or D: if you had the drives).
It's about as simple and straightforward as you can imagine, and *incredibly* useful for doing multiboot and other tricks.

Go with the newest BIOS though, there are some neat new options that just got added in. Check the end of this thread:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?17986-XTIDE-Universal-BIOS

I've got the card working now... it recognizes a compactflash connected to it. I'm a bit torn on what to use right now. I was planning on using a real hard disk (a 2.5" one in a 3.5" adapter) since I have a convenient place to mount one in the case (the unused 3.5" drive bay), but for the sake of moving files easily from my main PC to the Tandy, it may make sense to stick with the CF->IDE adapter instead. I have to come up with a more permanent solution for powering the hard disk yet, but it looks like it's going to work. Yay!

Why not do both? I think that was my plan.
I have a 3.5" drive mounted in the 2nd 3.5" drive bay, and then I was going to use a CF->IDE adapter for the slave IDE channel and have the CF card sticking out of the back of the machine. I have a bunch of these CF readers that are mounted on standard slot covers and one should be able to get it frankensteined into position next to the XTIDE card. Cabling may be tight, but that's the joy and challenge of retro modding.

As for power, I made a custom power splitter from an old Y adapter and changed the ends on it, IIRC. I can post pictures if you want, but it's totally doable. I can only assume the power supply is big enough to run both a 3.5" drive and CF adapter; the CF adapter only pulls from the 5v line, so it's pretty wimpy, and modern IDE drives are pretty low power...

edit: found where I was messing with HX power to supply a drive:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?12359-8-Bit-IDE-Controller/page100

Could still post pics of my power cable if you'd like

Last edited:
Back