• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Convert Amstrad PC2086 from UK (220v) to North American (110v) power.

archimed

Hey folks. I will soon be the proud owner of an Amstrad PC2086 being shipped from a very generous gentleman (terrapindundee from the old-computers forums) from the UK. It is the first Intel-based PC I ever owned (my folks bought it when I was 12 years old), and I'm looking forward to having it back again.

Unfortunately, the machine sounds to be built with a PSU that is based on the 220v UK standard. Does anyone have experience with importing UK-based machines into North America? I'd like to convert this over to a standard 110v plug/PSU, but I've never done anything like this. Given the amount of amperage delivered through a wall plug, I'd like to do it without frying myself.

Any suggestions on where to go? My thanks.

There are simple power converters available, usually marketed towards travelers. One of those should take care of not only the power conversion, but the plug adapter as well.

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but most computer power supplies have a 110/220 switch on the PSU. If so, you won't need a converter at all. Guess you'll find out soon enough.

I was thinking that too but I'd bet that this machine is too old to have that, that only became a standard late AT/early ATX.

There are simple power converters available, usually marketed towards travelers. One of those should take care of not only the power conversion, but the plug adapter as well.

I received the monitor and pc today, and indeed it is the non-switching style PSU. So you've used one of those power converters with a computer before?
Looks like the machine doesn't draw too much energy - its a 135watt PSU.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I'd say it's safest to use a conversion box like he mentioned, but you could also make your own adapter if you're skilled enough electrically (I am not).

A reviewer online used one of those converters with a ZX Spectrum with no issues, but that's a far smaller, simpler machine, if it makes a difference.

I received the monitor and pc today, and indeed it is the non-switching style PSU. So you've used one of those power converters with a computer before?
Looks like the machine doesn't draw too much energy - its a 135watt PSU.

Not with a computer, no. Most travelers use laptops, which are compatible with both 110 and 220 out-of-the-box.

Often psus are made with 2 reservoir capacitors in series and a bridge rectifier on the input. Changing the psu to work on 110V involves re-configuring the input circuit as a voltage doubler.
I can't quite remember exactly how this is done, but that's what the voltage selector switch does, and afaik it's just a case of connecting the centre tap of the capacitor pair to neutral.
If someone can point me at a schematic of the psu, it might be possible to find the right place to short.

They make non-traveler converter boxes that do the full conversion in a huge brick for about $40.

Often psus are made with 2 reservoir capacitors in series and a bridge rectifier on the input. Changing the psu to work on 110V involves re-configuring the input circuit as a voltage doubler.
I can't quite remember exactly how this is done, but that's what the voltage selector switch does, and afaik it's just a case of connecting the centre tap of the capacitor pair to neutral.
If someone can point me at a schematic of the psu, it might be possible to find the right place to short.

Thanks for the offer, nige. While I trust your electronic knowledge, I certainly don't trust my own hands when it comes to rewiring a PSU :) So I'll have to pass on that. Or at least delay this until I can learn a bit more about how this PSU is configured.

For the mean time, I think I'm going to go with the voltage converter boxes.

They make non-traveler converter boxes that do the full conversion in a huge brick for about $40.

That sounds like what I need. I'll take a look locally.

Thanks again for the helpful posts y'all. Will keep this thread updated when/if I get the machine booted.

What you probably want is a step-up transformer. Since you're dealing with AC power, a simple transformer is all that is needed -- something with a 1:2 winding ratio. You see small versions of these as travel converters, but there are larger versions too -- I've got some Stancor-made models that supply several kVA of power (~7 A @ 220 V, IIRC). The difference between 60 Hz American AC and 50 Hz British/European AC won't make a lot of difference to a computer power supply (switching or non-switching).

If you're looking for a permanent converter for your machine, I have some really nice General Electric step-up transformers, that do 240 -> 480 or 120 -> 240. I use one in my workshop for powering up European equipment that lacks a means of selecting lower voltage. They're wall-mount and have knockouts for conduit or clamp connections, so you can add a receptacle box for the type of outlet you're using. It's more of a permanent setup, but if you're interested in one, PM me.

If you have an old linear power supply or electronic appliance (VCR, Audio Amplifier) with a transformer that can be switched between 120v and 220v input, they usually have two windings--simply put them in series and feed 120V between the bottom and middle of the pair and take 240v from the bottom and top of the series windings. This amounts to an autotransformer and the secondary windings can be left unconnected.

Thanks for the offer, nige. While I trust your electronic knowledge, I certainly don't trust my own hands when it comes to rewiring a PSU :) So I'll have to pass on that. Or at least delay this until I can learn a bit more about how this PSU is configured.

For the mean time, I think I'm going to go with the voltage converter boxes.

switch mode psus aren't for the faint hearted (literally!) nor the inexperienced.

Back