• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 30-286

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Just a simple question about this computer. What is the maximum amount of memory you can put on the motherboard? I thought 1Meg composed of 4 256k 30 pins SIMMS but I may be wrong. Please advise. :p

Frank,

I seem to remember reading somewhere that 1MB was as much as you could do, but I'd be happy to proved wrong.

Tez

Unknown_K,

So your saying that if I have 2 IBM 1MB SIMMS installed in bank 0 (closest to power supply I assume) that I will then have 2 MB of memory is that correct?
And of course 4 will give me 4MB RAM. Does speed matter? I think I have 2 80ns IBM SIMMS. I noticed that the 256K SIMMS are 100ns. Please advise.

Of hand I don't know the speeds, but I guess 80NS or better should work. 100NS seems slow, but it is a slow 286. IBM uses special settings on the SIMM so standard PC 30 pin will not work. And yea, you can use 2 at a time since it is a 16 bit memory bus.

No I don't, my 30-286 has the 4x256KB modules and I don't think I even have any of the 1MB ones. All my funky IBM RAM is 72 pin.
Bumping the 30 up to 4MB would be nice, will have to check the recycler tomorrow for some.

According to this Reference Guide, you can normally use up to 4 MB RAM. It looks like the original parts were 120ns 512K or 2MB although, if I understand correctly, the "Multifunction Adapter" allows the use of 12MB.
Code:
Table 2-D. PS/2 Models 30 286-E01/-E21
. . . 
NOTES:
*  These models come with four system board memory spaces, two of which are
   occupied with replaceable 256K SIPs for a total of 512K.  One 0.5MB
   Feature #3397, consisting of two 256K modules, can be added for a total
   of 1MB.  Alternatively, the original system board SIPs can be replaced
   by one or two of the 2MB Feature #7833, each consisting of two 1MB
   modules, for a a total of 2MB or 4MB system board memory.  Different
   size SIPs cannot be used together on the system board.

*  The ability to use a non-IBM memory expansion card in the Personal
   System/2 Model 30 286 is dependent on the flexibility of the card in
   establishing its starting memory address.  To operate properly in the
   standard Model 30 286 with 512KB, a memory expansion adapter must
   support a starting memory address of 512KB.  To operate properly in a
   Model 30 286 with 1MB, 2MB, or 4MB of system board memory, a memory
   expansion adapter must support a starting memory address of 384KB plus
   the amount of system board memory.

Unknown_K, do you happen to know the IBM part number for 1MB simms? If please let me know. TIA.
From http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/8530/188-146.txt

- 512KB standard with parity
- Expandable on the system board to 1Mb using the 0.5Mb Memory Module Kit (30F5348) (#3397)
- Expandable to 2Mb or 4Mb by removing the 0.5Mb memory modules and installing one or two 2.0Mb Memory Module Kits (30F5360)(#7833)

From http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/8530/188-146.txt

- 512KB standard with parity
- Expandable on the system board to 1Mb using the 0.5Mb Memory Module Kit (30F5348) (#3397)
- Expandable to 2Mb or 4Mb by removing the 0.5Mb memory modules and installing one or two 2.0Mb Memory Module Kits (30F5360)(#7833)

I have tried standard 9 chip parity SIMMs and they do not work.

I tried every 30 pin SIMM I have and nothing seems to work. I did find this however:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SEALED-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53d9572960

But the instructions say something about installing onto an adapter board. So not sure if it work on the 30-286's motherboard or not. And I don't want to pay 75.00 for it and not work. He does however have a make offer button. Any opinions about this?

I tried every 30 pin SIMM I have and nothing seems to work.
It's all IBM?

I did find this however:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SEALED-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53d9572960

But the instructions say something about installing onto an adapter board. So not sure if it work on the 30-286's motherboard or not. And I don't want to pay 75.00 for it and not work. He does however have a make offer button. Any opinions about this?
The earlier info I gave you says it's "for planar or #8635 - Cannot mix with/#3397". That seem s pretty clear to me. Did you look up the #8635 yet? (note *1)

I made them an offer and they took it. Will have to wait till I get them in to see if they work. Hopefully they will.

It's all IBM?

The earlier info I gave you says it's "for planar or #8635 - Cannot mix with/#3397". That seem s pretty clear to me. Did you look up the #8635 yet? (note *1)

Don't even know what that means! I must be dumb or something. like what is #8635 and #3397?

I made them an offer and they took it. Will have to wait till I get them in to see if they work. Hopefully they will.
It sounds like the right thing. It's IBM.

I guess you missed Unknown_K's post a couple back, where he pointed out that it has to be IBM memory. Not regular PC stuff. :)

Don't even know what that means! I must be dumb or something. like what is #8635 and #3397?

I posted a link which appears to give you all the information you need. Here it is again: :)
http://www.computercraft.com/docs/ps2ref6.html

In case it didn't work for you:

IBM Personal System/2 Memory Expansion Alternatives by Model

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table 2-D. PS/2 Models 30 286-E01/-E21
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggested
Retail Feature Part Memory Memory
Feature Name Price Number Number Std. Max. Speed Description
--------------------------- --------- ------- ------- ---- ---- ------ -----------------
0.5MB Memory Module Kit $215 #3397 30F5348 512K 512K 120ns Modules for planar
or #8635
Cannot mix with/#7833

2MB Memory Module Kit $1295 #7833 30F5360 2MB 2MB 120ns Modules for planar
or #8635
Cannot mix with/#3397

IBM Personal System/2 $445 #8635 30F5364 0MB 12MB 120ns Adapter
Multifunction Adapter *1 Uses #3397/#7833

NOTES:
* These models come with four system board memory spaces, two of which are
occupied with replaceable 256K SIPs for a total of 512K. One 0.5MB
Feature #3397, consisting of two 256K modules, can be added for a total
of 1MB. Alternatively, the original system board SIPs can be replaced
by one or two of the 2MB Feature #7833, each consisting of two 1MB
modules, for a a total of 2MB or 4MB system board memory. Different
size SIPs cannot be used together on the system board.

* The ability to use a non-IBM memory expansion card in the Personal
System/2 Model 30 286 is dependent on the flexibility of the card in
establishing its starting memory address. To operate properly in the
standard Model 30 286 with 512KB, a memory expansion adapter must
support a starting memory address of 512KB. To operate properly in a
Model 30 286 with 1MB, 2MB, or 4MB of system board memory, a memory
expansion adapter must support a starting memory address of 384KB plus
the amount of system board memory.

* There are three AT-bus compatible slots available for adapter expansion.

*1 The PS/2 Multifunction Adapter, Feature #8635 can only be used with the
original 512KB of memory on the system board. Additional memory modules
may be moved from the system board to the PS/2 Multifunction Adapter.
Up to two PS/2 Multifunction Adapters may be installed, providing a
maximum of 15MB of additional extended memory. This adapter does not
support the IBM 3270 Workstation Program Versions 1.0 or 1.1 or the DOS
4.00 expanded memory drivers, but does support LIM EMS 4.0 when used in
conjunction with Above Disc (R) 2.0, which is not included with the
adapter and must be purchased separately (Order Vehicle 5871-AAA/Feature
#5448/Part 30F5448). Above Disc (R) works under PC DOS Version 3.30 or
higher. This adapter also includes one parallel and one serial port.
When two Multifunction Adapters are installed in the same system, it is
necessary to disable the serial port on the system board in order to
achieve full operation of three parallel and two serial ports.
I hope that's helpful. :) I also hope you offered the seller considerably less than the retail price which looks like $1295!

I offered $25.00 and they accepted it. I am wondering if the "Sealed RAM" is the actual RAM that came with the kit. Those modules are 80ns and the article quoted states 120ns. Really makes me wonder. :confused: But there does seem to 9 chips on the board which would indicate parity to me.
I guess I'll find out soon enough if I wasted $25.00 or not. ;)

I semi-recently showed photos of the ugly, oddball and practically proprietary memory these machines take. They are very very picky machines, AFAIK.

If your purchase ends up being succesful please post all relevant details to help other owners of the machines...it'd be appreciated.

I will definately let all know what works and what doesn't. I'm hoping these will. If not I will probably pick up an Intel inboard 286 or other low profile memory card. My everex 3000 is too wide (Tall) to allow me to close cover with it installed. ;)

...They are very very picky machines, AFAIK.

If your purchase ends up being succesful please post all relevant details to help other owners of the machines...it'd be appreciated.

I agree. The same rare 1Mb IBM modules that are needed here also are used on the IBM microchannel cached SCSI controller named "Spock". Converting standard 30-pin SIMMs to work on the Spock has been done, documented here.

Trouble is, I've converted modules that work correctly on the Spock, but don't work on either Model 25 286 and 30 286 planars...

For some reason the Model 25 286 and 30 286 planars are more picky...

Back