• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite DOS Games!

Not a complete list, but the things I usually play when I've got the time:

Crystal Caves
The Incredible Machine
Wacky Wheels
Pinball Dreams and Pinball Dreams II (I also have a copy of Pinball Dreams Deluxe, which combines all of the tables into one game)
Alpha Waves

My girlfriend enjoys CGA Wheel of Fortune and text-based Hangman when I've got the IBM XT out and running...got to love the extra-loud internal speaker!

I realize most of them were pretty lame, but what happened to those many hundreds of freeware and shareware disks & CDs with games and tools etc. for DOS and Windows that used to be everywhere in the old days; are they indexed and/or archived anywhere? I know I've probably got a few hundred here somewhere.

Yes they are.

http://cd.textfiles.com (they also have ftp access)

I actually have a mirror of this site on one of my HDDs, it's HUGE. If you don't have the initiative to rip them, ship your piles of shareware CDs to me and I'll rip and archive them. :D

NICE link - thanks for sharing!

Amazing to me that I've never come across that archive in my searches for a few obscure games.

NICE link - thanks for sharing!

Amazing to me that I've never come across that archive in my searches for a few obscure games.
Same here; thanks, Raven.

Don't know how you'd find anything in there though...

Regarding my stuff, a lot of it is on diskettes; I'm looking at boxes of 100 or so 3.5DD Public Brand Software disks as I write this and I'm actually kind of looking forward to leisurely looking through them and finding treasures that I'd forgotten or never discovered in the first place. And then there are all those boxes of CDs...

Haven't found much yet that doesn't run in XP.

Dune 2
Command and Conquer
and ofcourse Stunts!! The first game that I know of that had a track editor, I spend countless days creating the craziest tracks with jumps and those ice blocks...my friends said I made my tracks just to try and kill them...not let them actually finish a race lol!

Same here; thanks, Raven.

Don't know how you'd find anything in there though...

Regarding my stuff, a lot of it is on diskettes; I'm looking at boxes of 100 or so 3.5DD Public Brand Software disks as I write this and I'm actually kind of looking forward to leisurely looking through them and finding treasures that I'd forgotten or never discovered in the first place. And then there are all those boxes of CDs...

Haven't found much yet that doesn't run in XP.

Well please be sure to archive it for us - you might be the only person with copies of a lot of this stuff. I've just begun to archive mine as well, but I don't have too much.

Nobody in Particular:
Let's get back on topic. :)

DOS favorites...

Everything by Apogee
Doom II - bought the Doom II construction set book and software and made custom WADs all the time.
Sim City 2000 -- hex editing FFFF to give me $20,000 cash was a nightly event.
Command & Conquer
Civilization
Colonization - used to edit the game text to add in funny dialog.
Cannon Fodder - not a very successful game, but when I got the demo on single 3.5" I passed it around my dormitory, and everyone loved it.
Megarace - 1st gen CDROM game that I got free with my Pro Audio Spectrum 16 multimedia kit. "I'm Lance Boyle, and you would be too if you were me!"

I think, looking back, I prefer DOS gaming to gaming on any other computer system, if only because after the game ends, the screen goes black. It's like being in a movie theater.

I've only ever played it in VGA - does explain the odd "choice" of colors I suppose - lol.

Yeah that sounds more right to me.

I also thought of yet another game to add to my ever-growing list:
Hocus Pocus.

lol.. am I sensing a theme there? I'm not into cars but Street Rod was a really fun game. Street Rod 2 I remember having trouble driving (it was too hard to control the car or something weird) so I quit that one :-(

Commander Keen never ran on CGA hardware. All of the Keen chapters were EGA games.

I think he meant Keen 4 and 5, which most certainly came in CGA flavors - and quite well-done, too!

from 3dRealms:

"Episodes 4-5 are collectively called "Goodbye Galaxy!" and are also published by Apogee Software. This series of Commander Keen was released somewhere around June of 1991. There was also a special CGA edition of Keens 4-5. The CGA version is functionally identical to the standard EGA version of the game, but with CGA graphics. Apogee discontinued the CGA version in November 1997."

The site also mentions a CGA version of Keen6, which I've not seen before but was included on the iD Anthology collection disc.

I also thought of yet another game to add to my ever-growing list:
Hocus Pocus.

The music of that game sounded awesome on my Gravis Ultrasound back then. The only YouTube recordings I've managed to find of Hocus Pocus gameplay all have the Adlib / Sound Blaster music, which didn't even come close to that in quality and atmosphere.

Back