• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

controling an electric motor via cereal port.

jjzcp

Experienced Member
Is there any way i can get, say, an electric motor to be controled by a 486 via cereal port, and using C as the language? Also is there a site that has info that can help me on such a task?

Are you talking Kellog's or Post cereals?

:roll:

I think you mean "serial" port. Just do a google search, I'd say withthe keywords "serial port motor control" and go from there. If you put cereal port motor control you'll probably get some really weird sites. There's a book, serial port complete, that might help. It's been around for a while and you can probably get a cheap copy at fetchbook.info easy. I'm not sure about the C language part, though. It might take some hunting around for something that you like.

Hopefully it's cheaper that what I linked to.

which is really ment ofr an industrial application. But its still a Serial Port Motor controller.....

-V

You could (theoretically) soak the corn flakes in water till they begin to ferment, then convert the mash into alcohol to use for fuel to power your generator, and then...ummn...never mind...

--T

Re: controling an electric motor via cereal port.

"jjzcp" wrote:

> Is there any way i can get, say, an electric motor to be controled by a
> 486 via cereal port, and using C as the language? Also is there a site
> that has info that can help me on such a task?

How's this motor supposed to work? If it's some contraption which works on some time delay thingy - then yeah it should be able to.

I did a little experimentation with the combination of using C in conjuction with some hand made hardware which plugs into the ISA type connectors & than that did something with some other software. The C program was merely the driver to activate the hardware for the other program.

Unfortunately, I don't really know how the rest works - but I figure if I could do all that above using C, then C should be able to do what you need. Just don't try writing some Serial Port Cable access program in COBOL (theorically my teacher thought it was possible - but I simply couldn't grasp how COBOL would access the ports - or what I tried didn't work! )-:

C is also more powerful that Logo & boy you could do a bit with an Apple
][e & some Logo with the right hardware to play around with.

Cheers.

Back