• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Asteroids Clone for DOS - PLEASE

Raven

Veteran Member
:confused:

I've been searching for a good week for a simple asteroids clone for DOS (that'll run on any hardware, ala Sr. Partner). I can't find one for the life of me! All I can find are overly-complex new-fangled copies with VGA graphics and garbage that doesn't belong in asteroids... Where can I find a simple asteroids clone that looks like this:

asteroids.jpg

If you find this, you're my hero.

P.S. - It'd be preferable if it has arcade-like sound effects via PC Speaker..

I've been searching for a good week for a simple asteroids clone for DOS (that'll run on any hardware, ala Sr. Partner). I can't find one for the life of me! All I can find are overly-complex new-fangled copies with VGA graphics and garbage that doesn't belong in asteroids... Where can I find a simple asteroids clone that looks like this:

EGARoids should fit the bill. It's a very basic Asteroids clone that runs in 640x350 mode. Doesn't have any SFX, though. If you do a Google search, you should be able to find it easily.

While this is significantly better than what I was finding, the graphics are too advanced for my tastes, and the lack of sound is disheartening.

My search continues, though EGARoids will end up in my archive of stuff..

asterocks by champ-em games:

http://www.champ-em.com/

has classic and champ (vga) modes. SB sound, dos3.1, i386. while you're there, check out the clones for space invaders, galaga, donkey kong, ms. pacman, galaxian, pacman, and centipede!!!

This works on the Sr. Partner, and works well, and it indeed doesn't work on VGA adapters. Even in CGA mode (bios setting), might I add, it actually needs the proper physical adapter, or else it makes a scrambled duplicated display.

This is the best one of all those aforementioned, but not 100% perfect, so I'm still keeping my eyes out for one that has sounds (this one's biggest pitfall is no PC Speaker sound), and one that is closer to the arcade sprites (the ship warps a bit as you turn it, and the other objects look different in this version, no fire when you thrust).

Thank you, though, this will tide me over and work in lieu of a flawless clone. :)

the one I always played was EGAroids. from what it sounds like, it would run on EGA hardware though I always played it on VGA hardware.

Hate to drag up a thread, but I am now looking for a clone that'll run on my XT that MUST have sound. I don't care what video mode it requires (CGA/EGA/VGA, whatever) as long as it doesn't require the CGA registers and has sound. Anybody? For now I'm going to stick EGAroids on there..

Atari most likely had their own official "Atarisoft" version of Asteroids for the PC. I've never tried their PC versions, but I know the Atarisoft games for the C64 and Apple II were excellent.

atarisoft_ad.jpg

I've played many and enjoyed Atarisoft games, but I haven't come across a copy of Asteroids released by them. I will look around a bit just in case.

Edit: Yeah, they ALMOST released a copy of "Asteroids Deluxe" for the BBC Micro, but didn't even do that, and that wouldn't help my 5160 anywho.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atarisoft

Hate to drag up a thread, but I am now looking for a clone that'll run on my XT that MUST have sound. I don't care what video mode it requires (CGA/EGA/VGA, whatever) as long as it doesn't require the CGA registers and has sound. Anybody? For now I'm going to stick EGAroids on there..

Just realized that Blasteroids fits this bill. It's a clone of the arcade version, which was an official sequel.

I can't help but wonder, but... did anyone on this forum ever purchase the EGAroids source code?

Unlikely. It was written in MSC 3.0 or 4.0 and disassembles fairly easily, if you really want to see it, but there are much better examples of EGA programming out there.

Back