• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found: IBM 5126 auto diagnostic machine

Never thought I'd see not one but two! They are at a nonprofit I help out at. Nobody knew what they were except for me. I know it was for troubleshooting GM cars, but not sure what the purpose was. Looks to have a PC or XT inside along with a PCjr thermal printer in the cabinet! The computer seems to have several interface cards in it including a GPIB. I won't be able to save the entire thing, but will most likely get the computers out of them.

Hi, I found some info about the 5126 auto diagnostic machine in an IBM Hardware Manual
I have ....... I scanned the pages and posted below:

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1
Can you please take some good pictures of the 5126 units before you disassemble those ?

Think of it like these are the last two remaining 5126 units left in the world and they should
be somewhat documented. There is nothing on Google about these and its pure luck that
I had those pages from the hardware manual.

Never thought I'd see not one but two! They are at a nonprofit I help out at. Nobody knew what they were except for me. I know it was for troubleshooting GM cars, but not sure what the purpose was. Looks to have a PC or XT inside along with a PCjr thermal printer in the cabinet! The computer seems to have several interface cards in it including a GPIB. I won't be able to save the entire thing, but will most likely get the computers out of them.

In the interest of preserving history, what would you think of offering these machines in trade to someone who has an interest and a something you want? Not me, just an idea.

Sean

I know this is kind of old but I came across this post trying to find information about my 5126. I have one that still works (touchscreen and printer too)!! and I even hooked it up to a truck to try it out. IMAG0327.jpg

Does anyone still have interest in this unit? I don't really need it and would like to see it go somewhere where it is respected instead of junk. The paint is even still nice on the cabinet

I just picked one of these Machines up and saved it from being destroyed, I'm looking for any and all info on it. The unit I got powers up I just don't know how to make it work. I do a fair amount of work on older GM cars and it would be neat to actually use it!!!

I just picked one of these Machines up and saved it from being destroyed, I'm looking for any and all info on it. The unit I got powers up I just don't know how to make it work. I do a fair amount of work on older GM cars and it would be neat to actually use it!!!
Welcome to these forums.

From the information that mikey99 posted earlier, at a low level, the 5126 is an IBM AT (IBM 5170) motherboard with EGA card and EGA monitor. In regard to your, "The unit I got powers up I just don't know how to make it work.", please elaborate. For example, are you seeing anything on the display?

Making a simple judgement from that photograph you not only have a machine whose hard drive is intact and boots but you have at least part of the probe kit (is that valid engine information?) which is a really good start. As mentioned years ago we STILL need good photographs. IBM is famous for releasing products that are simply not documented anywhere.

Personally I'd poke around all the menus and options just to see what it can do. Just don't save any changes yet. ;)

Where are you located? :)

Making a simple judgement from that photograph you not only have a machine whose hard drive is intact and boots but you have at least part of the probe kit (is that valid engine information?) which is a really good start.
malibu1320 hasn't been active on the forum since 2014.

The new query about the 5126 is from new member Jsi at post #9

Out of curiosity does anyone know what protocol these units use to communicate with GM cars?

My guess would be ALDL as it dates back to the late 80's; but I would be interested to know for sure.

The ALDL interface is just the electrical standard. The protocol within is brand specific. My Geo Tracker has an ALDO interface but uses Suzuki's SDI protocol.

Also, it's mentioned earlier it uses the ALDL interface.

Back