• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Super Slocket III owners?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Okay, I've got this (cheap) Super Slocket III Slot-1-to-Socket-370 adapter. I've never been able to get it work, either with Celeron (Tualatin) or P3 (Coppermine) CPUs on any Slot-I motherboard that I have. Not a peep; nothing.

So, I was wondering of those who own these things, what's been your track record? The web seems to think that there has been little problem with this, even modifying it for dual-CPU use. Not my experience at all.

One thing I was wondering about is if your working version has the same 300 ohm resistor bridging the terminals where I assume that a voltage regulator would normally be installed, right above the jumper block. See attached photo.

Attachments

• FC370.jpg
    FC370.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 5
I don't have this particular slocket, but the one I did have I found only would work with 533mhz and lower Celerons, so if you have a particularly old Celeron kicking around try that out.

No, there's plenty of anecdotal stuff on the web with people using these in the 1+ GHz range and one eBay vendor even sells them with 1.3GHz Celerons installed. The documentation says that it works with Coppermine and Tualatin as well as Cyrix chips (100 and 133MHz FSB).

No, there's plenty of anecdotal stuff on the web with people using these in the 1+ GHz range and one eBay vendor even sells them with 1.3GHz Celerons installed. The documentation says that it works with Coppermine and Tualatin as well as Cyrix chips (100 and 133MHz FSB).
Yes, they may work with those chips, but with the cheaper slotkets that depends on wether the motherboard supports the faster chips or not.

With the cheaper stuff it's like this:
Slotket with FC-PGA Coppermine in a board that also supports slot 1 Coppermines: should work (but no guarantees!)
Slotket with FC-PGA Coppermine in a board that does not support slot 1 Coppermines: no go.

You can test if this is your bottleneck by trying out a PGA Celeron in the slotket and see if it'll work. If it works with the PGA Celly but not with any kind of Coppermine, then you've found your culprit ;)

As a test, I took the Slocket and put a Coppermine 800/133MHz Socket 370 P3 in it and tried it in two systems with 1000/133 Slot 1 Coppermine P3s already installed. Nothing. Not a beep, zip. The 800MHz installed back in its original system worked just fine.

Suggestions?

As a test, I took the Slocket and put a Coppermine 800/133MHz Socket 370 P3 in it and tried it in two systems with 1000/133 Slot 1 Coppermine P3s already installed. Nothing. Not a beep, zip. The 800MHz installed back in its original system worked just fine.

Suggestions?
Is there any chance that the adapter you're trying to use is broken? It would be a shame if you would waste countless hours trying to get a dead piece of hardware to work. Have you tried it with a PPGA Celeron yet? Anyway, what you described sounds to me that either the adapter is defective, or it's incorrectly jumpered, or perhaps the contacts on the undersides need to be cleaned with rubbing alkohol.
I can really recommend cleaning the contacts first, I've brought back to life more slot 1 CPU's that way then I can count fingers on one hand. And ofcourse it's less then a minute's work ;)

Edit: Option 4 might be that the FC-PGA P3 is dead (easy to test, perhaps you already know that your FC-PGA P3 is in working condition) or the heatsink is installed incorrectly.
I had a somewhat similar issue with a Socket 370 board with a common P3-800 and a large Aluminium heatsink. Every once in a while it would present just a black screen after it had worked perfectly fine the previous day. Reseating the heatsink always fixed that. Dunno why though, maybe the heatsink wasn't ideal for a P3, even though that heatsink was made by Intel!

I've tried it with a 1300/100 Celeron in a 100MHz FSB system also; same thing. I'm beginning to think that the adapter is DOA. Given that it cost a grand total of $4 plus shipping, any time I spend trying to debug it is pretty much wasted effort.

Have you tried it with a Celeron running at 533Mhz or less? The Celeron should look something like this:

L_Intel-B80524P400%20(bottom).jpg

Many slotkets worked only with these CPU's

Those celerons are the 66 FSB models? Are you sure nothing popped off that adapter, almost looks like one of those empty spots for a capacitor has broken legs in it.

Those celerons are the 66 FSB models?.....
Yes. The idea is to test the slotket with the most compatible CPU before testing any further. If it won't work with the PPGA Celeron then theres something wrong with the slotket and we'd not need to look any further.
If it does work with the PPGA Celeron, then there are other things happening.
As long as we're testing with Tualatins, there could be a million things happening. It might seem dead even though the slotket could just as well be perfectly fine...but not compatible with Tualatins and/or Coppermines

The description on the package says it specifically supports Coppermine FCPGA/PPGA CPUs and has jumper settings for 66/100/133MHz FSB.

Teo, I'm going to take a look at the adapter. I was hoping that someone out there has one I can compare notes with.

You can see here where someone's even modified them for dual CPU operation

Still worth it to try a PPGA Celeron first. It's possible the slotket works with Coppermines, but not in combination with the motherboard you're using.
Slotkets can cause a million different problems. First we need to know if it's dead or not.

Edit: If you do, make sure both adapter and motherboard are set to 66Mhz fsb or auto fsb

Which motherboard do you own? I know none that won't run a 66Mhz fsb. Maybe except for that one single i815 slot 1 board Abit (I think) once made.

Edit:Just read you own several slot 1 motherboards? One of them must have 66Mhz fsb lol!
If you set all the jumpers right, clean the contacts of the slotket and have it power up with a P2/ slot 1 Celeron with no problems but not when using a PPGA Celeron on the adapter, then theres a good chance the adapter realy is dead. You can't realy go wrong with mounting heatsinks on PPGA Celerons either because of their integrated heatspreader.
If you happen to have another slotket and that works...well then the suspicious slotket is most likely damaged.

Last edited:
Which motherboard do you own?

You want a list? I've got about 5 of them that I've been using. All with zero results, not even a beep.

I've been looking at mine with a loupe. Very poorly made and one pin seems to be completely missing from the PGA socket. Little loose blobs of solder here and there.

I'm going to look for another one.

I've got a 66MHz PPGA Celeron, uh, 466 I believe. Was gonna make it into a keychain but if you want it...perhaps we can deduct the shipping cost of it (a dollar or two) to you off the cost for the Scanman? PM if interested. Chip confirmed working.

You want a list? I've got about 5 of them that I've been using. All with zero results, not even a beep.

I've been looking at mine with a loupe. Very poorly made and one pin seems to be completely missing from the PGA socket. Little loose blobs of solder here and there.

I'm going to look for another one.

Bleh, if it's realy that bad quality, you might be better of in the long run with a proper slotket. Even if you get some cheap piece of hardware going, it's a recipy for trouble in times to come.
Let me know how the new slotket works out for ya!

Btw, it's a lil bit a shame to make a Celly 466 into a keychain, but thats just me :p
They're pretty good processors. Combined with an LX board they, to me, are kinda like the easy-to-set-up super 7 alikes. I got a Celly 400 running for years now, it was a nice system until I decided it was time to replace it with another motherboard

Meh, don't mind me. I'm just tired right now :p

I've got a 66MHz PPGA Celeron, uh, 466 I believe. Was gonna make it into a keychain but if you want it...perhaps we can deduct the shipping cost of it (a dollar or two) to you off the cost for the Scanman? PM if interested. Chip confirmed working.

Thanks, but the board I'm interested in upgrading is already runnin a 600MHz P3. No sense in going backwards just for the heck of it.

He offered it so you could test your slotket with a PPGA celeron, striktly for testing purposes ;)

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence out on the web that folks used FCPGA chips with this particular Slocket. Even if it worked, it really wouldn't solve anything for me--the question would come up "If other people are using it with Coppermines, what's wrong with this one?" Best to toss it in the scrap bin and try again, I think.

Back