• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

price for 286 motherboard? (or should i just get a 386sx?)

carangil

Experienced Member
Does anyone have an idea how much I should expect to pay for a working 286 motherboard? I've seen a few listed on ebay, at some kind of insane prices. (ebay seems to kind of ruin the market for this kind of stuff I think)

I am looking for something that's at least 12 mhz, 16 preferable. (I had 16 Mhz 286 when I was a kid). (I did see one really cheap, but it had no memory; where the heck do you go to find DIP memory these days?)

Most of what I've seen have the CPU soldered to the board, a few have 12 Mhz cpus in sockets, which I hope, can have a 16mhz chip put in.

I already have a working 486, so some of my non-retro computer friends doubt my sanity in wanting anything slower. In lieu of a 286, maybe a 386sx would make a cool little system. I just like playing with old stuff; way more fun that DOSBOX. :)

In general, a 486 can do all the gaming that a 286 and 386 can - an 8088/8086 is a far more different beast if you want some variety.

That said, your best bet is to buy one from someone on here, because we tend to be reasonable with our prices - not overcharging, not undercutting ourselves TOO much.

If you buy eBay they know you're looking for that specific thing and the prices can be high.

I have a Zenith Z-200 series 286 system that I'd consider selling to ya but it's big and needs some reconditioning (new HDD, everything else works afaik).. it's a neat backplane system, too. Due to it's size the shipping could be hefty, though. I was going to fix it up, but haven't gotten around to it in the whole time I've owned it so far..

In general, a 486 can do all the gaming that a 286 and 386 can - an 8088/8086 is a far more different beast if you want some variety..

A Pentium 1 can do anything that a 486 can do. The 286 is interesting from a historic standpoint because it was the first PC that ran in protected mode.

If you want a 286 then get a 286. :)

Each CPU has its own use, especially if you are into retro gaming on original era hardware.

Since you are in CA try hooking up with local collectors and recyclers. There should still be plenty of old systems you can snag for little or nothing (sometimes it is cheaper and easier to snag a system then buy a motherboard and they look for an old AT case and power supply that is vintage looking).

If you want a 286-16 or better (they made up to 25mhz chips) you will probably have to find a motherboard with the chip installed and it will most likely use 30 pin SIMMs. The higher speed 286 systems were made well into the 386 era and they should have 30 pin SIMMs. If you don't care about the speed of the 286 you should look out for an IBM PS/2 model 30 - 286 since people have a hard time just giving them away (and it is ISA so you can install a sooundcard or whatever).

I kind of like the big AT desktop cased 286 systems, thats where I stuck my 286-16 setup.

A Pentium 1 can do anything that a 486 can do. The 286 is interesting from a historic standpoint because it was the first PC that ran in protected mode.

I just mean gamingwise - of course it's interesting as it's own hardware - part of the reason I offered my Z-200, as it's particularly different being a backplane system and all.

How much are you looking for?
When I checked ebay there were a few for around $20 which seems like a good deal :)

The $100 ones don't count, I know they're getting more rare but damn...

I'm afraid I want more than $20 for a functional Zenith backplane one, but I'd part for ~$50, maybe a bit less plus shipping.

I have a working 12MHz 286 with 4MB of ram, but since it's my only (complete) 286 I'd have to set it at $40 but would include an IDE interface and video cards (vga/mono or both).
My real interest would be rebuilding my 5162.

Thanks for your offer TheLazy1, I will think about it. I think shipping would be pretty high too, unless you send the boards only. Though, I would hate to ask you to rip apart your working system! BTW, is your CPU soldered on or in a socket; maybe I can put in a 16 or 20 Mhz chip. (Assuming it has jumpers or an easily-changed crystal without messing up the ISA bus speed)

I did find an interesting board on ebay, but no one is bidding on it because it has no memory installed. Suppose I get it; does anyone know a good source for DIP memory?

Linky to motherboard:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/B/BIOSTAR-MICROTECH-INTERNATIONAL-CORPORATION-286-MB.html

The cpu appears to be socketed, whether or not you can swap it for a higher clocked one I have no idea.
Lots of advanced bios options though and if I remember correctly even handles the current date/year, unlike one of my 486 boards...

It has 4MB of SIPP memory installed and somewhere I have the original DIP memory which may have been 640KB.
I wouldn't worry about separating a working system though, I would much rather have my 5162 since it was my first PC.

I can always use the case for a 486 build.

Back