• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

386 Laptop - $5 + cost of shipping

kishy

Veteran Member
Everex Tempo LX 386SX laptop...maybe 16MHz? Not sure on other specs.

"Works"

LCD works, backlight doesn't. Can read screen to see that it does in fact work, just not easy to read. Backlight flickers upon power on then stays off. A combination of myself and previous owner have been pretty rough to this machine but the backlight has never worked in the time that I've had it.

No hard drive installed. Standard ATA (laptop sized) drives accepted, but note the BIOS uses drive type numbers...you'll need a rather small, old drive.

AC adapter included. Battery (doesn't hold charge) included.

If interested ask and I will provide photos. I will not disassemble for photos.

Only available for a couple days, it WILL be junked if nobody takes it.

Expect shipping to Continental USA to be $25ish approx, give or take a little. Will ship worldwide. PayPal only.

$5 pricetag is to try to offset the time investment in getting it to the post office, as well as box and so forth.

This is a gamble for the recipient. I'm telling you up front it at least partially works, and it does have problems, and is not complete (HDD). If someone can get use out of it, great...if not, please no complaints.

The CPU is socketed (PLCC). I forget about the RAM, it may have been SIPP, or it may have been a proprietary module.

Yeah, that's correct. A generous offer for sure but I think the largest drive geometry supported by the "type number" system was a little over 100MB...I think...

Original drive in the laptop was 20MB. It died. It was my fault; connected backwards to my USB to IDE bridge (easiest, fastest way to get OS onto old system = hard drive swap) . Poof, magic smoke escaped.

I told a friend of mine about it, he might like this. DOOM as it was meant to be!

Please do not forget to be very clear it has a screen backlight problem. Could just need a new little backlight tube, could be power supply related. I appreciate the referral for sure but make sure you or friend have resources to make the repair (I know you've got a full featured shop, but this is a pretty obscure sort of repair I believe)

I was clear on that, and I think he can handle it. If not he'll get it, then after a while sell it to me to fix or set up as a game machine for him. I haven't heard back yet, though. But I was clear about the screen.

I was clear on that, and I think he can handle it. If not he'll get it, then after a while sell it to me to fix or set up as a game machine for him. I haven't heard back yet, though. But I was clear about the screen.

Alright, great.

I've said it only has a few days before being junked because a neighbour is helping us dispose of accumulated random trash around the house including my e-waste. When it becomes convenient for him, we load up his truck and go...I've got no interest in hanging onto the laptop myself because it's not in top condition so if your friend doesn't claim it it will be destroyed. Might break apart to pull CPU and RAM before doing such a thing, though (like, during the process of loading the truck).

NO idea whatsoever when that will be.

Yeah, that's correct. A generous offer for sure but I think the largest drive geometry supported by the "type number" system was a little over 100MB...I think...

Original drive in the laptop was 20MB. It died. It was my fault; connected backwards to my USB to IDE bridge (easiest, fastest way to get OS onto old system = hard drive swap) . Poof, magic smoke escaped.

1) So this means you still have the drive cable for it?
2) Was it a CP2024, by any chance?
I would be interested if this is true, but I wouldnt be able to until payday which is a week...

1) So this means you still have the drive cable for it?
2) Was it a CP2024, by any chance?
I would be interested if this is true, but I wouldnt be able to until payday which is a week...

Cable is still present in laptop, the way it connects to mobo is quite proprietary so I wouldn't do that to you lol

It was a Conner, and it was around 20MB. 2024 does sound correct but I'd have to dig it out of the box of e-waste outside, and I happen to know that item is at the bottom.

Cable is still present in laptop, the way it connects to mobo is quite proprietary so I wouldn't do that to you lol

It was a Conner, and it was around 20MB. 2024 does sound correct but I'd have to dig it out of the box of e-waste outside, and I happen to know that item is at the bottom.

Well, I dunno about anybody else, but IF THE MEDIA was okay before the 'frying' I would be interested in it. I have one that lost a head... but the board is fine!
(In fact the 'headless wonder' is sitting here tossing track errors as we 'speak'!)

I just today managed to recover a CP2024 that some SOB had used 'Shoe-Goo' or some such in an attempt to substitute for the missing cover-seal! NEVER thought that drive would clean up but right now it has NO ERRORS!

Of course, the offer for the whole thing still stands. However, even if someone else takes the machine, I'd be interested in the drive 'carcass'...
Zombie 'puting is my LIFE!! (Well, at least recently!) :roll:

:mrgreen:

Well, I dunno about anybody else, but IF THE MEDIA was okay before the 'frying' I would be interested in it. I have one that lost a head... but the board is fine!
(In fact the 'headless wonder' is sitting here tossing track errors as we 'speak'!)

I just today managed to recover a CP2024 that some SOB had used 'Shoe-Goo' or some such in an attempt to substitute for the missing cover-seal! NEVER thought that drive would clean up but right now it has NO ERRORS!

Of course, the offer for the whole thing still stands. However, even if someone else takes the machine, I'd be interested in the drive 'carcass'...
Zombie 'puting is my LIFE!! (Well, at least recently!) :roll:

:mrgreen:

I'll do my best to retrieve the drive. It did work, I just connected it backwards to the USB thing and something on the PCB exploded. Media should be fine.

Edit: drive retrieved, saved from death. Is indeed a CP-2024.

Last edited:
I'll do my best to retrieve the drive. It did work, I just connected it backwards to the USB thing and something on the PCB exploded. Media should be fine.

Edit: drive retrieved, saved from death. Is indeed a CP-2024.

ROFL at exploded!! :D

That's good news!
I found out today (after spending almost 1/2 of my 'nap time' awake!) that the 'headless' drive actually just has bad media... the head DOES work, just not 'everywhere'.

Actually, more like 'not much of ANYwhere!'

So...
Will PM you about details.

Last edited:
Since there are two interested parties, I won't be junking it.

However, I'm giving NathanAllen and friend until (including) Friday of this week to either finalize something and take the laptop (that's not to say I can ship same-day, I just want to get the ball rolling on this...it's sitting on my couch until it leaves) or it will go to leeb.

Edit: NathanAllen turned it down so it's going to leeb. Will make appropriate edits here once it's gone.

Last edited:
An update...

An update...

I Thought you would like to see these...
The backlight is not 'quite' consistent... it will sometimes not come on but with more use it seems to be 'remembering how'! :blush:

I will likely swap in the power board and/or the inverter board from the 'parts machine' to see if it stabilizes... one or the other (or both) may have been damaged/affected by the CCFT in the old display. It could also be the bright adjustment... will have to wait & see...

Also... the battery from the parts machine seems to be quite good! Will have to 'let it run' soon and see how long it will stay up 'off the mains'!

BTW... the parts machine also had (1) memory expansion card! :eek:nfire::eek:nfire:
I intend to reverse-engineer it so that I can build more...
I do know that it uses (4) 4MbitX4 RAMs... pin compatible to the 4c4001s I have... enough.... of right now. I only need to learn the pinout of the 40-pin connector that attaches it to the system board (the 2x4-pin 'feet' at the top end seem to be nothing but support...)

After all, I might manage to get the 'parts machine' back together some day... and there may be others who need them!! :cool:

I did have a 387 ALU in it for awhile... but it ended up in the TANDY 3800hd...
After all, the Everex is the 'bastard stepchild'... loved, but 'doesnt quite belong'.
It will get one for itself when the funding permits... I need to get a BUNCH of CMOS batteries first! :shock:

At any rate, enjoy! :mrgreen:
Tempo1-1.jpg
Tempo1-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, great stuff leeb! Glad it's working out for the best. I was convinced the thing was more trouble than it was worth.

Uneven screen lighting is better than none, right? :)

Dunno... I enjoy running the batteries down on the flashlight IOT see what it says! :shock:

There is only one CCFT so uneven will have to do!

I may put it in the other case... this one is UUUGG-LEEEEE! At least compared to the Tandys... the duckling amist the swans!

Im just lucky the parts machine showed up on Ebay with a good display. The ram module was a VERY UNEXPECTED plus!

And Im particularly glad you found the fried drive! Finding the video control software would have been practically IMPOSSIBLE without it... and it doesnt seem to be on the parts machine either!
:D

EDIT: I am now convinced there is a problem with the internal power supply board... If the PS is connected the backlight WILL NOT come up.
However, if the battery powers it up (or powers the 'reset' or internal/external video change) the backlight WILL come on. At that point it is OFTEN-but-not-always possible to plug the PS in and keep the backlight on.
Still, at least it DOES work and it can be confirmed! :D

Last edited:
Back