• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable OA

I have not posted on here in a while

I have not posted on here in a while

But I do check in once in a while to make sure all is well. I've been experimenting with enable on the new Windows 7 and was wondering if there was any movement on the Windows version you posted on a few months back on the lyon board and in emails?

I think it would run in windows 7 much better than the DOS version does, not sure if you even still have the disks but it would be a fun project :cool:

I think you said there were three (3) disks? instead of the usual 10+ for the dos version? Wonder if it is just an add on to the dos version or if it is a complete version in and of itself

Toby

16 bit vs. 32 bit DOS

16 bit vs. 32 bit DOS

Toby: one of the reasons I've kept my old Windows98 OS is that it supports 16 bit DOS programs -- which is what Enable is -- but once Windoze went up to XP and Vista etc. it only supported 32 bit DOS programs.

I'm a bit absent:nervous:-minded on the disks etc you mention or what I might have said in the past. You would need to give me an exact quote. :inlove:/OAfurf

KeyMap For Enable

KeyMap For Enable

I think Gary Farkas' KEYMAP FOR ENABLE is in my stash of stuff in Schenectady. On my next trip there I am going to look for it.

It was developed by Gary in Schenectady years ago. /OAfurf

With the ability to bring forward a GREAT piece of software into the 32 Bit world, and also be able to key map for the user, Enable OA will continue to have a following for all the reasons listed in this thread. i think when the world moves to 32 bit processing, we might just find out how many Enablers there are out there. All looking for solutions to take their dynamite apps within Enable with them to the next processing level!!

With the ability to bring forward a GREAT piece of software into the 32 Bit world, and also be able to key map for the user, Enable OA will continue to have a following for all the reasons listed in this thread. i think when the world moves to 32 bit processing, we might just find out how many Enablers there are out there. All looking for solutions to take their dynamite apps within Enable with them to the next processing level!!

Don't forget that Enable is 16-bit DOS software and doesn't run in 32 bit Windows. That's why I stick with Win98. One of the neatest things about EnableOA is the ability to run a report form off a Spreadsheet by storing the db definition on the SS.

One can also store the records on the SS and copy them into a dbms window.
/OAfurf

Hello

Hello

Glad to see there are still some Enable OA users still around. I purchased a single user license back in 1991 and have been using it ever since.

Currently I mainly use the database module to run a retail service business to do invoicing, inventory control, work order tracking, and accounts receivable. Sales figures are then extracted by a report to produce and IIF file that is then imported to Quickbooks weekly.

My programing skills have got a little rusty since I have not made any major changes in the past five years. But now I'm thinking of making some changes to make my setup multi user. Hopefully I can find additional license codes to enable additional workstations.

Marshel

Welcome

Welcome

Glad to see there are still some Enable OA users still around. I purchased a single user license back in 1991 and have been using it ever since.

Currently I mainly use the database module to run a retail service business to do invoicing, inventory control, work order tracking, and accounts receivable. Sales figures are then extracted by a report to produce and IIF file that is then imported to Quickbooks weekly.

My programing skills have got a little rusty since I have not made any major changes in the past five years. But now I'm thinking of making some changes to make my setup multi user. Hopefully I can find additional license codes to enable additional workstations.

Marshel

Welcome Adapto [or should I say Marshel]. Go through both the Enable and the EnableOA sections of this Vintage forum and you'll find a lot of info about our current users. We have a whole set of Enable mini-apps, especially the OA Cabal, that show the power and adaptability of Enable. There are also other Enable Forums. e.g. Lyon Mountain http://www.lyonmountain.com/bboard/ and the original Thogscave http://www.thogscave.org/enable/Enable_O_A.html

/OAfurf

Again the other day I went up Ushers Road past the Northway Ten Executive Park where Enable was developed. I recalled all the times I would stop there in the heyday of Enable. And just recently I came across the following letter from THE SOFTWARE GROUP [the original name of Enable] dated November 20, 1986:

Dear Rev. McCloskey:
This letter authorizes your organization to make seven copies of Enable 1.0 for its use. We are delighted to hear of your satisfaction with Enable, and wish you the best in your work.

Sincerely
Ronald Quake
President

Any of you oldtime Enable users have an experience with Enable's superior Spreadsheet module?

Have you observed the way EnableOA automatically backs up a SS each time you save it? [Hint: SS@]

OAfurf

To appreciate the uniqueness of Enable's Spreadsheet, read up on its MACROS.Lib file which can underlie a whole range of SSs linked to it, including the topline menus which can be used to take a DBMS definition stored on the SS and auto-create a DBMS window using that same definition. /OAfurf

Northway Ten Executive Park

Northway Ten Executive Park

Again the other day I went up Ushers Road past the Northway Ten Executive Park where Enable was developed. I recalled all the times I would stop there in the heyday of Enable. And just recently I came across the following letter from THE SOFTWARE GROUP [the original name of Enable] dated November 20, 1986:

Dear Rev. McCloskey:
This letter authorizes your organization to make seven copies of Enable 1.0 for its use. We are delighted to hear of your satisfaction with Enable, and wish you the best in your work.

Sincerely
Ronald Quake
President

Yesterday on Ushers Road I did something different; I actually turned into the NORTHWAY TEN EXECUTIVE PARK where the building that originally housed Enable is still standing even if Enable Software has been out of business [its dbms taken over by Microsoft] for over ten years.

I used to stop there in the Enable heyday; when I saw the old building I wondered whatever has become of Randy Brinson who was one of the Enable experts on its original BBS. Randy, where art thou? /OAfurf

The opening screen of the OA Cabal shows:

You Are:

Randy Brinson

Rick Sietsema

Peter Wargo

Carleton Underwood

Chip Black

Francis McCloskey

Other:

This Enable app is available. You can list yourself under OTHER. If wanted, just say so on this Vintage Forum and I can wrap the files and email them. /OAfurf

Still Doing EnableOA

Still Doing EnableOA

Every day I use EnableOA to design street reports received from around the country. Enable then with .exec_dos opens them as colorful, artsy HTML files which I copy into an email window and send to a whole list.

I get lots of positive reactions online. HI:p HO;) ENABLE:D...OA:mrgreen:.

/OAfurf

I want to salute the owners/operators of this Vintage-Computer forum for providing us oldtime Enablers an opportunity to reconnect online.

There's just nothing as sophisticated as EnableOA.

Several times a week I drive past the Northway10 Executive Park where Enable was developed by THE SOFTWARE GROUP which later changed its name to Enable Software Inc.

In those days Enable ran a BBS where we all got together online and helped solve each other's questions and problems in writing and correcting the Procedlang code that Enable used.

Hi:inlove: Ho:mad: Enable:eek: OA:p ..... /OAfurf

Today I took another look at the Northway Ten Executive Park on Ushers Road where Enable was first developed as THE SOFTWARE GROUP.

I pray that somehow we can get it restored there. The building is still there even if Enable is gone. /OAfurf

How are we coming on those windows disks? You had mentioned some time ago that you had a copy but didn't know how to get them online?

Huh?

Huh?

How are we coming on those windows disks? You had mentioned some time ago that you had a copy but didn't know how to get them online?

I haven't a clue what disks you are talking about. I only use Enable under Windows98 where it runs perfectly.

Any questions about disks should be referred to Carleton Underwood. He sends out EnableOA CDs to several of us.

OAfurf

Hi Ho Enable OA

Hi Ho Enable OA

The last time I drove down Ushers Road, instead of just passing by the sign that reads NORTHWAY TEN EXECUTIVE PARK I drove in and saw the ancient building just sitting there.

But I gave thanks on high for all that EnableOA allows me to accomplish and for Gary Farkas who supplied me the KEYMAP FOR ENABLE and other Enable supportware.

So how is everyone getting :confused::confused: along with their EnableOA these days? /OAfurf

I emailed the following message to the thogscave list. Thogscave, operated by oldtime Enabler Peter Wargo, is the official Enable website:

> *Is there a way to have a field on an input screen provide a drop down list to select from another database?
>
> The best way is via .input field statements on a report form; actually I've renamed it an inport form [combo of input and report] as there's much more flexibility and options by making doing your input in the Report form module because the dropdown list can be made mouseable in a the report module using dot commands.
>
> But let's for this purpose limit it to the Input form since that's what you're talking about... if the dropdown list is fixed [or even if it changes, but that will require periodic manual updating], make it into a menu. So you're drop down list is basically a menu of choices. We'll call the menu DROPDOWN.MNU but you can name it anything. Say the input field is HIHO. So when you do you're PUT IT HERE routine via Shift/F9 on the Add screen, you might further define it by saying YES, it does have a macro procedure and do something like...
>
> Enter Shift/F9 macro : {Do Menu}DROPDOWN.MNU~
> Enter prefield macro : {Send} (S) * Shift/F9 For A Menu Of Choices *~
>
> or if you wanted it to pop automatically, you could simply skip the Shift/F9 field and put the Do Menu statement in the prefield macro and it would pop when the cursor lands in that field. Inside the menu you would just write whatever it is you want to land in the current field followed by a tilde {~} to move the cursor to the next field. Just make sure the entered information is at least one space shorter than the length of the PUT-IT-HERE field otherwise the last character will overwrite previous character. /OAfurf*

Back