• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello my Fellows!

chalackd

Experienced Member
Hello, I've just stumbled upon this forum while searching out info on a couple old systems so I thought that I'd stop in and say hi.

I'm yet another of the poor souls who's living out in the country near only to small towns where there isn't much of a nerdy community to associate with.

I don't really have a focus to my system collecting, other than preferring anything that still works and has some unique character to it, but I've been known to bring life to items considered dead from time to time as well. Whether it be old computers, video games, arcade machines, I'll collect it all if it catches my eye.

Currently I'm starting to get a nice little collection together, it all started with an Apple IIgs and most recently I just added a GRiD 2260... I gotta say, I could have picked a cheaper hobby, but I'm having fun so it's fine with me :cool:

Welcome to the group :) You'll definitely fit in here and hope ya have fun. Did the grid happen to be from a member here? That's how I started with my collection too, it's certainly the fun way to do it if you don't let it get carried away ;-) Once I saw folks collecting or focusing on one area it makes a lot of sense collecting wise and later on space wise heh but I still like having lots of great classics.

Welcome.

Yeah it can get expensive, but here's what I've learned over the course of my collecting:

If you take anything you can get cheap, you'll run out of room and not have good systems for use (usually).
If you shell out and buy some decent systems that are exactly what you want, you'll still have space, and have good systems.
I do both in moderation now, best of both worlds - I've got space, parts, and systems. :)

There are no cheaper hobbies. All hobbies will grow to consume all available resources! :p

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! Sounds like you like to tinker with hardware like I do ;)
Bringing something to life which was dead and/or just parts is feeling like frankenstein!....well ok, maybe not :D

Fixing broken machines is more fun than using them :)

In many cases, this is true. There is nothing quite like seeing the life suddenly spring back into what was just a hunk of inert metal and plastic....and knowing that you had a hand in it.

Tez

There is nothing quite like seeing the life suddenly spring back into what was just a hunk of inert metal and plastic....and knowing that you had a hand in it.
Tez
I've occasionally had a hand in it when it sprung back to life, I removed my hand pretty quickly I can tell you!

Most of my vintage computers were either inexpensive or give-aways. I recommend hitting all the thrift stores and, if possible, users groups or even here. Vintage systems don't have a be expensive; just be patient.

Back